Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need suggestions for sewing with Granddaughter (age 5) >

Need suggestions for sewing with Granddaughter (age 5)

Need suggestions for sewing with Granddaughter (age 5)

Old 08-24-2019, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
My granddaughter was 4 when she started sewing. I set up a machine on her little Care Bear table so everything was * just her size* and I turned the speed control down to the lowest ( turtle speed) so no matter how hard she stepped on the foot pedal it didn’t get away from her. She made a special quilt for her daddy ( about to be deployed) she did everything except ironing. She cut her fabric with scissors. She laid out the fabrics she was using on the floor the way she wanted everything- did not want help- and I didn’t interfere. Some seams were 1 1/2” wide, some very narrow. It all worked for her. I even turned a tall dresser on its side in front of the longarm for her to walk on so she could quilt it too. She did it all herself. 14 years later that quilt has been all over the world and is still his prize possession.
Thank you for sharing this story!
Old 08-24-2019, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

My granddaughter was 4 when she started sewing. I set up a machine on her little Care Bear table so everything was * just her size* and I turned the speed control down to the lowest ( turtle speed) so no matter how hard she stepped on the foot pedal it didn’t get away from her. She made a special quilt for her daddy ( about to be deployed) she did everything except ironing. She cut her fabric with scissors. She laid out the fabrics she was using on the floor the way she wanted everything- did not want help- and I didn’t interfere. Some seams were 1 1/2” wide, some very narrow. It all worked for her. I even turned a tall dresser on its side in front of the longarm for her to walk on so she could quilt it too. She did it all herself. 14 years later that quilt has been all over the world and is still his prize possession.
what a heartwarming story!
Old 08-24-2019, 12:56 PM

When my granddaughter wanted to sew I cut out a bunch of 4" squares and she sewed them together by hand. Turned out very nice and a blanket for her favorite stuffed animal (a bunny).
Old 08-24-2019, 01:14 PM

depends if she is using the machine or not. Either way something she can easily complete.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:35 PM

I love your story, thank you so much for sharing it. You are an awesome grandmother! Using the dresser as a platform for her to be able to reach was genius!
Old 08-24-2019, 04:30 PM

I have enjoyed hearing the stories you are sharing. I found a pattern for a tooth fairy pillow that looks just like something we can start with. https://payhip.com/b/kLle
Old 08-24-2019, 06:53 PM

I have great luck with little ones making pillows. Super simple ones they can take to preschool or sleepovers: pick out fabric, buy long quarter yard, fold over with the right side in, 2 long seams and most of the 3rd, turn right side out, stuff with polyfil, and sew shut. Even my 4 year old was able to do everything but the ironing and he was so proud! He made two pillows and used them until they got so flat they were like crackers . when the kids got older we started doing the inner pillow with my cheap muslin and then doing an outer case of the nicer fabric. you can also make a nice preschool sized pillow with two fat quarters and they get two different sides!! adds another seam though.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:42 AM

Default Easy Pillow Cover for child to sew

Sewing with your Granddaughter sounds wonderful. Go to the link below to find how to make a pillow cover pattern that is free to download. The pattern is written for children to sew. I hope this helps. Have fun!

http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/bags-p...set-sew-pillow
Old 08-25-2019, 02:17 AM

Lightbulb Baby Doll Sleeping Bag

Me again with one more idea for sewing with your grand daughter. This project would be more of a joint effort, but still lots of fun! I listed the link below for you to see how its done!

Quilted Baby Doll Sleeping bag with attached pillow
Old 08-25-2019, 03:19 AM

I have enjoyed sewing a few times with my sister and her granddaughters. When they are very young, it helps if I use a ruler to draw a pencil line at the seam allowance for them to follow. We have made tiny pillow shapes, filled them with dried beans or rice or whatever was in the pantry, and sewed them closed for bean bags. Then the girls can invent games with them or have a gift for someone. Just be sure the project and your attitude allows them to be successful. My friend reported after sewing with her 5 yr old granddaughter that one day the friend “ had to rip out every stitch the child sewed”. I think perfection would interfere with the joy of the experience and might discourage any future sewing.