Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • flannel sheet for a lightweight backing no batting.Is this a good idea for quilt top? >
  • flannel sheet for a lightweight backing no batting.Is this a good idea for quilt top?

• flannel sheet for a lightweight backing no batting.Is this a good idea for quilt top?

Old 03-16-2020, 05:59 AM

I made a duvet cover that I backed with flannel and quilted the top to the flannel and it worked great. I've used flannel yardage extensively in wearable art. It drapes nicely and is quite light weight. You do need to preshrink the flannel as flannel will shrink a whole lot.
    Old 03-18-2020, 12:47 PM

I made a Christmas quilt-all flannel- and it worked fine but over time the flannel frayed and a couple of seams came apart so I had to serge the seams. It seems to be ok now. I would suggest you serge the seams unless you are using the sheet without cutting off any of the sewn margins it comes with.
    Old 03-23-2020, 01:14 PM

Some flannel sheets have very low thread counts. Okay for a "utility quilt". My family had a tied quilt with flannel sheet instead of batting. I think that quilt was used and loved for at least 60 years.