Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • New to quilting and this board, Needing expert advice >
  • New to quilting and this board, Needing expert advice

• New to quilting and this board, Needing expert advice

Old 02-22-2022, 07:57 PM

You did a great job and do not rip anything . The top looks very good. I could also see the cross very well.
    Old 02-22-2022, 08:07 PM

It's a good beginning for a first quilt and I like the cross in the heart.
    Old 02-23-2022, 04:34 AM

For a first quilt I think you did very well, so don't beat yourself up over what you call mistakes and it was hard for us to find on your posted picture.
    There is a quilting saying, If you can't see the mistake from the back of a galloping horse, it's good
    Old 02-23-2022, 04:43 AM
    Power Poster

It looks great! Carry on!
    Old 02-23-2022, 05:03 AM
    Power Poster

I wish you could see my first quilt. You'd quickly deem yours a masterpiece!
    I think it looks great and wouldn't change a thing.
    Old 02-23-2022, 05:09 AM

What a great first attempt! If you really hate that block at the top of the cross, Terry's idea is a really easy and innovative fix. There are several different brands of permanent fabric pens on the market and I think doing a little colouring would be a lot more fun than visiting with Jack the Ripper. Be sure to lay the top on a hard surface and have a couple of layers of paper towels under the block. Those pens really are PERMANENT!! Ask me how I know.

I just used a fabric pen to colour a couple of stitches that I could see in a seam. Of course my nose was 4 inches from the fabric. We are our worst critics.
    Old 02-23-2022, 05:09 AM
    Power Poster

It would not be too hard to put in a darker square at the top of your cross. I would not worry about two fabrics being next to each other. Great first quilt top!
    Old 02-23-2022, 05:38 AM
    Power Poster

If it bothers you, you would not have to do that much unsewing to replace/ change those squares.

Sometimes redoing is part of the learning process. Will seeing it the way it is bother you more than redoing it?

I do like the cross in a heart pattern and it does show up.

I am impressed with the fact that you noticed those two color placements !!

Edit: I just went back and looked at your top again. I think the other posters are right - it is fine the way it is and you did very well for a first attempt.

Last edited by bearisgray; 02-23-2022 at 05:43 AM.
    Old 02-23-2022, 09:36 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan. Please don't rip it out. First quilts have a special value over the years. I have one of my first quilts and as 'bumpy' as is looks it reminds me of where I started and where I am now. No points matched in my quilt and I wasn't even concerned about whether or not I use cottons or blends. So it is a bit of both. I am so glad I kept this one. It has taken me a long time and many quilts to get to where I am now and I still make a load of 'mistakes' Always there is no perfect quilter other than God!. Again welcome to the QB. I look forward to seeing a lot of you here. Jump right in and join the fun.
    Old 02-23-2022, 06:45 PM

The heart is fine....if you are really not willing to live with it, then use the quilting to darken the light square over the cross and to change the look of one of the touching-each-other squares (I had to really look to find those, so nobody is likely to notice them unless you point them out!).

And while we are at it: NEVER point out to folks where all the mistakes are! When they say it looks lovely, just say "thankyou"! Quilters seem compelled to point out their maker errors and that is a habit we need to break.