Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Washing Finished Quilts >
  • Washing Finished Quilts

• Washing Finished Quilts

Old 11-01-2022, 07:34 AM

I always wash finished quilts. Regular cycle, scent free detergent and fabric softener (use it for all laundry). Throw in dryer on regular cycle with scent free fabric softener sheet and dry.
    Old 11-01-2022, 08:24 AM

Yes, I always wash my quilts after they are finished. I wash them as I would wash my regular laundry. I don't use scented detergent / fabric softener / dryer sheets, etc. I throw in a couple of color catchers (just in case of bleeding). I figure that whoever I give it to will be washing it in with their regular laundry so I want to make sure it withstands the washing, rinsing, spinning cycles that would normally be used.
    Old 11-01-2022, 09:45 AM

I always wash throw/bed size quilts. I want to make certain there are no bleeds or open seams. Hanging quilts, I leave flat. They are for decorative purposes.
    Old 11-01-2022, 10:58 AM

I never wash a quilt, I just give washing instructions along with the quilt I'm gifting and leave it up to them.
    Old 11-01-2022, 11:51 AM

I agree with Tallchick - there are no rules.

This is THE number one reason I bought a Speed Queen washing machine. It fills with water all the way to the top. I wash my king-size quilt (wool batting) with cool water and regular liquid detergent (I found powder doesn't always dissolve 100% in cool water). I have a bulky/bedding setting on the washing machine, SQ describes it thusly: "Items like comforters, pillows and rugs are bulky; they need a cycle with extra water to really soak in and clean them. The Bulky cycle does just that. And, it uses a slower spin speed to help ensure your drum doesn’t get unbalanced." Once the cycle is finished, if I find the quilt is too wet for the dryer, I'll adjust its position in the tub if necessary, then do a "drain and spin" cycle to spin out excess fabric. It then goes in the dryer on low for 30 minutes, shake it out, dry another 30 minutes, etc.
    Old 11-01-2022, 12:01 PM

I wash the finished quilt using that liquid soap made for quilts (can't remember the name). I just let it agitate for a short time, then soak for a bit. I then rinse, dry on delicate and then let it finish air drying on a bed (with a shower curtain under some towels).
    Old 11-01-2022, 01:27 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    I wash the finished quilt using that liquid soap made for quilts (can't remember the name). I just let it agitate for a short time, then soak for a bit. I then rinse, dry on delicate and then let it finish air drying on a bed (with a shower curtain under some towels).
    Are you referring to ORVUS? It was actually made for horses, but is a wonderful soap for quilts. If you buy it at a quilt or craft store you will be paying more. Get the large size at a farm store or Amazon.
    Old 11-01-2022, 04:07 PM

RJWILDER Bless you for that. I am so sensitive to the scents that I can't use fabric anything that has been washed in scented cleaners.
    Old 11-02-2022, 09:57 AM

My large quilts are made to be used. Before that first use - whether it is mine to keep or give away - it is washed in sensitive skin detergent and dried in the dryer without added softener sheets. Washing is optional for wall quilts. Washing is a must for placemats and mug mats.
    Old 11-02-2022, 10:10 AM

I always wash my quilts after they're done. Why? First, because I'm a slob and get stuff on the quilt while I'm working on it. Second, because I like my quilts crinkly and puckered. Third, I'd rather wash the quilt before I give it to see how it's going to launder. I'd hate to give someone a quilt, only to find that it fell apart, shrunk too much, or bled the first time they washed it.

I suppose you may not want to wash a quilt that is made of specialty fabrics that shouldn't be laundered, but I always use pure cotton fabrics.