Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Color thoughts - would this work in theory? >

Color thoughts - would this work in theory?

Color thoughts - would this work in theory?

Old 07-30-2023, 02:54 AM

The first quilt I ever made was like this. I took an online class at Quilt University (I think) and that was how she told us to pick our fabric. I think that was around 2009. It was a beautiful quilt even with my mess ups and I gave it to my father in law.
so I think yours will be beautiful!
Old 07-30-2023, 03:20 AM

It sounds delightfull. I think the real key will be the actual quilting... solids are a great way to showcase unique designs. Eg: if there are light rays , straight lines raciating out of the " light scource" would be very effective. In other background areas, fancy fill stitching in a matching thread shade would add interest without detracting from the actual pattern.
Old 07-30-2023, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by stitch678 View Post
It sounds delightfull. I think the real key will be the actual quilting... solids are a great way to showcase unique designs. Eg: if there are light rays , straight lines raciating out of the " light scource" would be very effective. In other background areas, fancy fill stitching in a matching thread shade would add interest without detracting from the actual pattern.
You have given me a lot to think about. Interesting. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2023, 09:42 AM

I love your print! Forgive me for asking the obvious, but have you checked that you will like it on point?

I thought the 'herb' was better, in terms of hue, than the sage or basil, but since the mountain block seems to be the largest area of color (other than the gentle print), I am wondering if the mountains will be more prominent than you want. What are the projected size of the blocks?
Old 07-30-2023, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I love your print! Forgive me for asking the obvious, but have you checked that you will like it on point?

I thought the 'herb' was better, in terms of hue, than the sage or basil, but since the mountain block seems to be the largest area of color (other than the gentle print), I am wondering if the mountains will be more prominent than you want. What are the projected size of the blocks?
Center Block is 24" --- 23.5 finished and all the other blocks are 12.25" --- 11.75" finished. Weird measurments, I know, but in sizing up the block with the measurements I had for the Beacon of Lights Block, this is how the numbers turned out to get everything meshed together. (the center of the Beacon of Lights block that is in the center of the quilt, is the print and the size of that is 9 inches square, set on point,) This is what got me started on this. I saw this when strolling to get some ideas for my next quilt and I couldn't stop thinking about how I could expand this to make a full size quilt. Handmade Quilt Wall Hanging

It took me a while to find the actual name of the center block (asked and found out on the forum here, thank you very much!) and then I found this: Beacon of Lights Block I took the measurements from here, but being an older pattern book, there were a lot of 1/8" increments of measurements, so I handed it over to DH to sort it out for me! I'm a quarter inch breakdown girl... keep those 1/8" increments far away from me

Thank goodness DH is a whiz at math. His work required him to make measurements to thousands of an inch.

Finished quilt will be 94" x 94" without border (8 blocks across/8 blocks down) --- adding 2" border on sides and 6" border top and bottom So completely finished quilt will be 98 x 114" Borders will be the print fabric. Backing will be Faded Cambray -- basically a fawn color of Cambray.

I also liked the herb as my first choice for the mountains. I have some in my stash, not enough, but I'm waiting for samples of the sage and basil, before I decide what to order.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 07-30-2023 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-30-2023, 03:58 PM

Thanks for that link! I have a hard time picturing things, so a visual is a huge help. I like the idea shown in the link, of echoing the block center with the outer mountains.

I hope you'll keep us updated, your project sounds so exciting.
Old 07-31-2023, 03:48 AM

The print is pretty.

What is the repeat or scale of the print? You might consider how the print will be cut into smaller units.