Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I need to vent! >

I need to vent!

I need to vent!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

People don't understand...and they want quality at bagain basement prices...so sad :(
Old 01-07-2010, 07:55 PM

People don't realize the value of a quilt. I didn't until I started quilting myself. There is a tremendous amount of time, work, fabric...sometimes blood,sweat and tears too. All you can do is try to educate whomever you are quoting a price too. Good luck. I have never sold a quilt but I agree that your prices are too low.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 PM

I feel your pain! That's precisely why I don't like doing custom work. I'll make things now and if someone likes it I'll put a price on it and if they want it, fine. BTW, it's also why my brother quit building custom homes, too.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:02 PM

I used to do custom sewing for the public..They want a custom design/made garment for walmart clearance price.
I still will do custom design wedding gowns but I have them manufactured from Thailand and starting price is $1000. I don't lower the price. I've had pple say they thought custom made would be cheaper than off the rack...what rock are they hiding under???? The only time custom is cheeper is if you do the skill yourself... There's no labor cost.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:14 PM

My mom has had the same issue with her artwork. She is a muralist and fine artist. When people have asked her to paint a portrait for them, they are always amazed at how much she charges. They are used to Olan Mills "fake" paintings that one can get for less than $100.00. When she is asked to paint a mural or do custom painting in a home, they expect it to cost about the same as wallpapering. They don't even consider all the years of training and the level of skill it takes, along with talent, that has gone into what she does. This is why she mainly paints murals for the military and for businesses, because they can seem to be more understanding of her worth and are willing to pay the $$$ to get a one-of-a-kind mural or painting. (She has painted murals as big as three stories high and 300 ft. long.)

On a different note, I am amazed at how many people purchase those cheap quilts from Wal-Mart and then are surprised when they wash them and they fall apart. Then, they expect that a custom quilt should cost about the same, yet be high quality.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Power Poster

People just don't realize what goes into a quilt. It's more than fabric and labor, it's a love of the craft too.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Administrator

i've become convinced that getting the right price for a quilt depends almost entirely on where it's offered for sale. the same quilt will sell for $1,000 or more from a gallery. at a craft sale or flea market, i'll bet a person would be "lucky" to get a few hundred.

i don't seek commissons. i don't like working under a deadline. i also end up having to make quilts using colors and fabrics i may not like very much. not fun.

if somebody asks, i tell them my prices start at $200 - regardless of size.

if they have the "guts" to keep the conversation going, i talk to them about the different factors that go into determining the final price.

if they keep going, and i'm interested in taking the commission, i offer to show them a few design proposals and quotes for each.

if they gasp at any point during this process i remind them that they will end up with a one-of-a-kind family heirloom (IF they take proper care of it). i promise that i never make the same quilt for more than one person.

in the case of baby/children's quilts, i point out that every quilt i make is test laundered so they KNOW it will stand up to use, abuse, and lots of love.

i explain that i won't be offended if they go for a bed-in-the-bag. if they don't care that their bedroom looks exactly like 5,000 others then neither do i.

if they "insist" on making the deal then i "sacrifice" my time and take the money when i'm done.

if they decide to go elsewhere, i'm VERY happy to have rescued the time i'd have spent making something they want so i can spend it making whatever pleases me at the time. ;-)
Old 01-08-2010, 05:51 AM

I have quoted prices that are fair to both parties - some have bought, some have not...
Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 AM

I have never been asked to make a quilt for profit - for which I am very glad. Years ago, in the 80's I did LOTS of English smocking. I decided to try and sell Bonnets and Dresses (all done with fine cotton, french seams, etc). The Bonnets were $10 in a local store - I got $5 back then and sold only a few. The dresses never moved. I finally donated them to a school auction..

I liked the idea of presenting a "list" like you would in a building contract. That might educate the client as to the extensiveness of the project.

Good luck - and if she doesn't contact you then, I hate to say this, maybe you are lucky! :D
Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 AM

Everyone is looking for "something for nothing"...I work with people everyday that are looking...when they manage to browbeat you down in price on what you have to offer (no matter what it is) they go and spend the difference on a better car than you drive...a better house than you live in...expensive dinners...

Are they cheap or smart? ~sigh~