Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Offline Events, Announcements, Discussions
International Quilt Festival (aka Houston Quilt Show) November 4-7, 2010 >

International Quilt Festival (aka Houston Quilt Show) November 4-7, 2010

International Quilt Festival (aka Houston Quilt Show) November 4-7, 2010

Old 01-29-2010, 12:09 AM

I go every year. We stay at the Hyatt downtown. There are free buses that run every 1/2 hr from the Hotels downtown to the Convention Center all day long.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:37 AM

Hmm.......since I really won't be all that far away and I can stop and see my grandbabies on the way to and from....maybe I can convince hubby that I NEED to go.
Will have to talk to him about it.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 AM

I just talked to hubby......
Gues what he said....
HE SAID I CAN GO!!! WOOHOO!!
Like I really had to ask him. He knew I'd go anyway. lol
Now, to save my money.
Guess I'll go and see how much hotel rooms are.
Will book now, so that way I have a room and if for some reason I have to cancel, I will still have time.

So...where is everyone staying?
I'll also put out here that if someone is wanting to go, but doesn't have the money for a room, I can book a double room (2 beds) and if you don't mind, we could share a room. I'm not a bathroom hog or anything.....I don't snore. I actually stayed awake all night one night to see if I did and I didn't. :) :) :)
Old 01-29-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
If i get a job very soon maybe I can come too.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!!!

Originally Posted by Gramof6
I go every year. We stay at the Hyatt downtown. There are free buses that run every 1/2 hr from the Hotels downtown to the Convention Center all day long.
That is good to know--I was hoping there would be shuttle buses.

Originally Posted by tlrnhi
HE SAID I CAN GO!!! WOOHOO!!

So...where is everyone staying?
Yeah, Terri!!!! I am so glad you will be there too!! It is about time you are off that pebble and stopped asking everyone to swing by and pick you up :)

I am staying at the Courtyard Marriott on Dallas St. It was the closest place I could find that still had rooms.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:22 AM

Well, since NO ONE swung by and got me, I'm thinking I have to go myself! lol

I'll check the Marriot and see what they have. The others that were/are mentioned on the site says you lose money if cancelled and with the prices, I'm not willing to lose money.
I wonder if they give military discount?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:27 PM

I'll check the Marriot and see what they have. The others that were/are mentioned on the site says you lose money if cancelled and with the prices, I'm not willing to lose money.
Terri---Did you get a reservation yet? The Marriott's policy was cancellation up until 6PM the night of the reservation with no penalty. And they do have a military rate. I used a AAA rate and a Marriott rewards card. My rooms were $142 per night.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:33 PM

Don't think I will get to go this year, things are tight, and hubby may loose his job next month.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
Don't think I will get to go this year, things are tight, and hubby may loose his job next month.
Suzie, I am sorry to hear that. But, if you happen to win the lottery, this would be a great way to spend some of your winnings. :)
Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM

Ladies, you are in for such a treat. Last year was the first time in 16 years that I missed the IQA Show. I was having knee problems that turned out to be gout. If I continue eating right, I should be able to go this year. May I share some hints. (1) Dress comfortable, especially shoes (2) Take short & long sleeves, because our temperature can be between 40 & 90 in the same day. (3) Take a large lightweight tote for your purchases (rolling totes are not allowed) (4) Save your money for purchases, you will want to shop, OMG, 3/4 of show is vendors. (5) Take a small camera for quilts (6) A lot of different foods are available, but the lines can be long. Don't wait until you are fainting from hunger. A water bottle and a snack in your tote will help. (7) There are chairs along the back wall for resting. (8) There is no paging, so get cell #s & plan meeting places. (9) Restrooms on front wall are down a flight of stairs, at least 3 sets across back and one in the Food Court area.
The main theme is comfort and lightweight. Your back, knees and feet will thank you.
You are going to have an awesome experience,
Helen
Old 01-29-2010, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Marcia

Terri---Did you get a reservation yet? The Marriott's policy was cancellation up until 6PM the night of the reservation with no penalty. And they do have a military rate. I used a AAA rate and a Marriott rewards card. My rooms were $142 per night.

Not as of yet. Need to call.
Have to figure out WHICH credit card I'm going to put it on.