Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for good Vegan recipes >

Looking for good Vegan recipes

Looking for good Vegan recipes

Old 02-24-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Stummel
Good to hear that you feel much better!

My favourite vegan cookbooks are by two women named Tanya Barnard and Sarah Kramer. I like them a lot because they don't usually ask for ingredients you cna only find in a health food store.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...arnard&x=0&y=0

I also love "Vegan Planet" http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Planet-I...7045729&sr=1-1

Hope you find lots of nice recipes soon and enjoy the new lifestyle!
Vegans, btw, do not eat eggs or dairy products, but vegetarians do. :)
It seems that our cats are talking to each other, it's funny. I will check the references you quote and I'm sure I'll find interesting easy recipees
Thanks a lot
p.s. my cat's name is Celeste
Old 02-24-2010, 03:45 PM

It seems that our cats are talking to each other, it's funny. I will check the references you quote and I'm sure I'll find interesting easy recipees
Thanks a lot
p.s. my cat's name is Celeste
Haha, that's true - I hadn't noticed. Mine was called Bo, but unfortunately she passed away a few weeks ago and is truly missed. We have two other cats though and a dog as well:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-32280-9.htm
Old 03-05-2010, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach
Also some vegans eat eggs and dairy, do you? That will give you more options for food choices.
Trupeach, vegans eat NO animal products. Vegetarians will eat dairy, honey, and sometimes eggs.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:13 AM

I recently discovered how good tofu can be when you scramble it. Basically, you mash it up.

This recipe has wayyy too much salt in the soy sauce, but it's ridiculously good. You say, eh, it's okay - and then you notice you ate it all up.

Carrot-Tofu Scramble

2 Tbsp. oil
1 lb. carrots, grated
1 lb. extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup sesame seeds (optional)
1 tsp. dark sesame oil (I've never used this, never missed it.)

1. In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Cook carrots, stirring, for 15 minutes.
3. Add the tofu and cook, stirring, until the carrots are soft, about 5 more minutes.
4. Add soy sauce and sesame seeds. Cook 1 minute more.
5. Stir in the sesame oil.
6. Serve hot.

Serves 4.
203 calories, 13 g fat, 16 g carb, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein per serving.

This is from the Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:29 AM

Sharon, what are you doing for protein? Nuts and seeds only go so far. Do you eat beans, lentils, tofu or seaweeds for protein?

Is there a reason why you're sticking to raw?

What about something like a vegan chili? Vegetable broth, onions, peppers, tomatoes, tomato sauce, black or kidney beans, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, lime juice... boil, then simmer, covered, until the veggies are soft.

Bourvel, a couple of suggestions for you. You can get more vegetables in by simply making bowl dishes with lots of veggies and using whatever meats you like, but in smaller quantities. For example, a stir-fry with all kinds of veggies and a bit of chicken.

You could use peanut butter and other nut butters for protein now and then.

You might want to revisit beans and lentils. I understand how you might not like a mouthful of beans. But think about a black bean tortilla wrap: onions, peppers, tomatoes, cilantro, cumin, maybe chopped mango pieces or pineapple or avocado - and some black beans scattered in among all the rest of it. Maybe some shredded cheese (though that would make it vegetarian, not vegan). Wrap it all in a tortilla, wrap the whole thing in foil, and bake at 400 for 10 - 15 minutes. You won't hardly notice the beans, and it tastes heavenly!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:37 AM

Lisanne, thanks for the ideas but really I just cannot have lentils and beans in my mouth, maybe I'll try one to see how it goes but just thinking about it make me sick....sorry I'm fussy.
I made a tofu stir fry this week and it was really good with bok choy and mushrooms but the tofu was a little bit chewing, I think I overcooked it but by using tofu more often I'll learn how to cook it better
Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 AM

What about refried beans? They're just like mashed potatoes or peas, consistency-wise and make great fillings for tortilla wraps etc?
Also, try soya mince, which you can fried or cook just like minced meat and the flavour is great depending on the brand. We made a vegan shepherd's pie with it and my FIL, who swore he'd never eat anything vegetarian, couldn't tell the difference and just got confused that I tucked into that dish. :mrgreen:
Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by bourvel
Lisanne, thanks for the ideas but really I just cannot have lentils and beans in my mouth, maybe I'll try one to see how it goes but just thinking about it make me sick....sorry I'm fussy.
I made a tofu stir fry this week and it was really good with bok choy and mushrooms but the tofu was a little bit chewing, I think I overcooked it but by using tofu more often I'll learn how to cook it better
I understand, because I'm even worse with mushrooms. I won't even eat food they've touched.

As for the tofu, if it was hard to chew, don't use the extra-firm. Use firm or soft. Cooking won't make it harder, but it might get that way from being dried out or stale. Marinades might make it firmer, too.

Is it just the thought of beans that bothers you, or the texture? Because you could puree them. For example, I often puree some of my Cuban Black Bean soup to make it thicker. You could puree all of your beans right into the sauce of whatever you're making.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:02 PM

I used extra firm tofu and marinade it for a few hours but I really overcooked it, as for beans, it's both, the tought and especially the texture, I cannot even stand need green peas and I hate the smelle. tough I tried hummus and liked it, it just a matter of turning the bad fuse in my brain to try pureed beans.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Hi Sharon,
Check out this page
http://old.endearing.com/recipes.html

I am one of the owners of this record label, we are vegetarians. This is a page from an old version of our website, we used to do a monthly newsletter with information about our bands and releases and then we included a vegetarian or vegan recipe with the newsletter. This is an archive of recipes.

Our new site is at http://www.endearing.com but we took off all the veg recipes.

Some of these recipes are mine, some are from friends. But I can recommend:
Baked Veggie Casserole
Colleen's spicy peanut noodles
Couscous Tacos
Dahl soup from Kevin Scott
Heavy Blinkers Vegan Chocolate Birthday Cake
Tofu in a Hot Honey sauce
Tofu/Veggie Pot Pie (this one has milk and cream of mushroom soup, but you could sub in soy milk and some other vegan sauce inside like mushroom gravy)
Veggie Stew and Dumplings.

I've been vegetarian for 25 years, there are lots of yummy things out there!
Heather