Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need new sewing machine=which one? >

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Need new sewing machine=which one?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Hi Kay! Welcome from another Coloradan :)

Can't help with the Berninas ~ I just bought a Janome, but wanted to say HI!
Hi, and welcome from Minnesota! I've had (still have, but use less) 2 New Homes (Janome) and a Pfaff Expression 2038. If there had been a Janome dealer within a reasonable driving distance, I'd have another, but I'm learning to love the Pfaff. Only problem is, the dealer is no longer in business! (Her choice.)
Old 02-24-2010, 07:30 AM

Normally, I would vote for Bernina, but for me as a long time Bernina owner I would not pay that price. There are many great machines out there that are just as good as Bernina. The main thing is sit down and try them. Do you have a quilt show coming up anytime soon, it is a great place to try machines. The Pfaffs are just as good a Berninas. But of course this is just my opinion. There are also some great Berninas, not as pricy as the 830.

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:50 AM

Hi and welcome from OKlahoma.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 AM

The only thing a Bernina has that I would like over my Viking is the stitch regulator. But it is not worth the price.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:33 AM

I agree totally. The new Bernina's are so overpriced and now are not even assembled in Swizerland anymore. They are great machines, but are not the only great machines out there.
Originally Posted by Rose Marie
The only thing a Bernina has that I would like over my Viking is the stitch regulator. But it is not worth the price.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:38 AM

A new machine can be a real investment $$$ so I would advise you to spend some time researching the different brands; Husqvarna (I love mine), Bernina (accessories, feet are very expensive), Janome, Babylock, Pffaf.
You can find tons of information on their respective websites including where they are sold in the Denver area.

Once you have a good idea of the features you want/need then it is time to test drive them and check out the dealer.

This takes some time, but is well worth it. You want to find the perfect machine for your that will give you years of sewing fun. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kay M
Hi Everyone,
New from Colo. I need a new sewing machine. Looked at the Bernina 830. Gulp! Worth the money?
I have a Bernina1230 purchased new about 15 years ago and love it; however, I would not pay the price for the new 830. It is definitely not worth it for me. I believe in purchasing something of quality, but that often does not mean top-of-the-line. I like to think in terms of bang-for-the-buck, and the 830 just doesn't have it for me. If I were going to spend that much money, I would prefer to buy a more basic sewing machine plus a separate embroidery machine (so it could be embroidering for me while I am piecing) and matching furniture for my sewing room.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Banned

i just looked at a brother qc 1000, it is totally amazing. Gorgeous big table. Big Screen!! Great stitches. Really a nice machine.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:26 AM

Hi, I love my Janome, had it for 16 years. Checked out the new ones and they are great. I've noticed many students have tension problems with their Berninas over the years of teaching. But, they do love them.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:56 AM

I have several different brand machines from a Singer featherweight to a Janome (which I love!).

I would suggest you purchase your new machine from a dealer in your area so that if you have any issues, it can be serviced close by.