How would you about this?

Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I agree you are gonna have to forget about getting paid and use it as a lesson learned. You could look at it as a good thing as in the fact she won't be asking you for help again. If she wanted it done a certain way then she should have done it herself,how inconsiderate of her to say that to say that to you.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by GrannyW5
How ungrateful this teacher is!! After all the work that you put into them and then to say "they are useless." I think I would make out a bill and give it to her. You surely could have been doing something you wanted to do instead of spending all that time on "useless stuff!!"
Sorry for you
Yeah! like doing more swaps!!!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 06:55 AM

I think that is totally rude on her part to say that they are totally worthless after you gave so much of your time. I do hope she pays you. People that don't sew have no idea what it takes to make things. I was once in a charity organization that did a theatrical production every year for local school children and the community. It was a big deal. I was always put on the costume committee. The year they did Cinderella, the lady playing that part wanted the dress fitted to her perfectly. She about drove me crazy to the point that I was upset for several weeks while making it (and I worked full-time with two small children). My husband told me it wasn't worth it, so that was the last year I was a member of the organization.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

Does this teacher do any sewing?

What size people were these skirts for?

Did you ask her what they were to be used for?

Was there enough fabric to do what she had in mind?

- which it sounds like she didn't communicate very well to you - and maybe you didn't think to ask, either (But then, why should you have)

Overall, I would be upset. ("Upset" being a euphemism)
Old 04-27-2010, 07:21 AM

The skirts were for 6 girl scouts, ranging in size from 10 - 16. The pattern she bought was for 8-12. I had to adjust patterns in width and length. Being pretty good with measurements and such, they did fit nicely. What she neglected to tell me is that she needed them REALLY FULL so they would twirl out. Now, mind you, the last layer of material is 144 inches, but still apparently not wide enough. Let it go......over and done with

:roll: :roll:
Old 04-27-2010, 07:24 AM

I think that since you are a teacher there and so is she, you might have to just let this one go altogether for the sake of peace in the school. However, next time anyone around there asks you to do something like this for them, tell them you'll teach them how to do it, but since you've been put in an awkward situation before, that you will no longer do these things.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

Just wondering - if these are gathered skirts with elastic waistbands -

Would there be enough fabric to add a section to make them fuller?

(Although if you are a compulsive finisher of seams that would cause you pain to do that, even if it were possible/feasible)

If those skirts are what I think she had in mind, they take YARDS and YARDS of fabric - - - - had she even purchased enough if you had guessed what she wanted?

I can see a way of selvaging some of the fabric - but would you want to?
Old 04-27-2010, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Just wondering - if these are gathered skirts with elastic waistbands -

Would there be enough fabric to add a section to make them fuller?

(Although if you are a compulsive finisher of seams that would cause you pain to do that, even if it were possible/feasible)

If those skirts are what I think she had in mind, they take YARDS and YARDS of fabric - - - - had she even purchased enough if you had guessed what she wanted?

I can see a way of selvaging some of the fabric - but would you want to?
They do have elastic waists, but the layers have ribbon already attached. So even if an additional section were added, the ribbon would have to be taken off (or matched) and quite frankly, I am not interested in doing it. They have to be done by May 3rd. Not gonna happen here! She did have another person make 6 vests - and they are very nicely done, but again, they are all too small for the girls wearing them! So, those are useless as well. The same person made 3 adult skirts that are very full - she did not use a pattern, just copied a skirt that was already made. My feeling is to have THAT person make the 6 for the girls. Being the better person is what personal growth is all about. The only thing I lost is my time.....I don't have to scramble to make it work.

:thumbup:
Old 04-27-2010, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Another lesson learned.

Ugh!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 AM

I just had to add how sorry I am that this experience didn't work out well. I assume she picked out the pattern so it's her fault if they didn't meet her expectations. She does owe you for your time regardless. I just can't believe she would be so rude.

In my book (as a retired teacher, too), you get many points for being a good scout. :thumbup: (If you get the skirts back, make beautiful quilts out of them, okay?)