Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Looking for juicy beef potroast >

Looking for juicy beef potroast

Looking for juicy beef potroast

Old 05-16-2010, 12:09 AM

Here is how I do mine, 2-3 lb chuck roast cut into 6-8 pieces, one can each of cream of mushroom soup and celery soup, one package of dry onion soup mix. Mix everything into crockpot.4-6 hrs. on high or 8-10 hrs. on low, or until meat is tender. Last two hours I'll add what I have carrots, potatoes and onions. Then my question is, do I want to serve it over white rice or mash potatoes.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:00 AM

Thank you everyone for all the recipes. They all sound good. Have to talk it over with the husband.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Banned

When I cook a roast I coat it in flour, brown it real good on all sides......then add lots of onion, some salt & pepper....gobs of garlic :-o ....pour in some beef stock or brown gravy mix and turn heat down to simmer, cover and let it cook until it falls apart! Usually about 4-5 hours. :)
Old 05-16-2010, 04:16 AM

I cook mine in a cast iron dutch oven. We do lots of deer roasts and they are perfect. I put a roast in, add some water, onions, potatoes, carrots or whatever and stick it in the oven. Temperature depends on how long I have to cook it. If I'm in a hurry its 375...otherwise about 300. There is always a rich juice that makes the best gravy too. I absolutely love cooking in cast iron though!
Old 05-16-2010, 05:19 AM
JJs
Banned

marysedoats and ginnie6 have the right idea - use a CAST IRON pot, flour, add salt, pepper, mrs. dash, a touch of cajun seasoning, then on low after pouring the water on - check every now and then to make sure there's still enough water - cook several hours (until fork tender)
I don't see how people cook without cast iron! perfect for cornbread, fried potatoes (especially outside), pot roasts, etc.
I don't add the potatoes and carrots until after the meat is almost done - usually about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before the meal..
Old 05-16-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by amalia64
Here is how I do mine, 2-3 lb chuck roast cut into 6-8 pieces, one can each of cream of mushroom soup and celery soup, one package of dry onion soup mix. Mix everything into crockpot.4-6 hrs. on high or 8-10 hrs. on low, or until meat is tender. Last two hours I'll add what I have carrots, potatoes and onions. Then my question is, do I want to serve it over white rice or mash potatoes.
mg, i forgot all about that recipe! i made that with cream of mushroom and onion soup in the oven when my kids were kids. i never thought to add veggies right to it. (you could probably do it with chicken, too.)
Old 05-16-2010, 01:35 PM

All your recipes sound good I'll have to try them, I just can't make it like my mother did
Old 05-16-2010, 01:49 PM

I do the crock pot thing too, but I sear the roast in a skillet first. I just put a little olive oil in the pan and sear it, nothing else. I have found the roast always comes out tender and juicy when I do that. The few times where I haven't seared it first, the roast did not come out tender or juicy!! Good luck and for more variations allrecipes.com has some great ones for roasts. I have tried a few and the were always very tasty!!
Old 05-16-2010, 02:08 PM

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,pot_roast_in_crockpot,FF.html

are you specifically looking for crockpot recipes or oven ones? or just easy ones?

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,pot_roast,FF.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,oven_pot_roast,FF.html

i've taken ones from all these lists and they all work well. you can adjust the seasonings for your own family. for instance, my family likes garlic, so i've used it even when it might not be called for. or rosemary, because i grow it and we like it with beef.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:13 PM

I use the crock pot. Put your roast beef, 1 large onion, whole, salt and pepper and 1/2 can of beef broth, or however much juice you want for gravy. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours. Half way through the cooking, add carrots, potatoes and rutabga, cut all veggies.