Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever been completely bamboozled by a pattern? >

Ever been completely bamboozled by a pattern?

Ever been completely bamboozled by a pattern?

Old 05-29-2010, 10:31 PM

Make you a sample from some cheaper fabric, before you cut any more of your batik and try some that way first. I know you'll get it eventually, but do check with the person who designed the pattern. I have had to a couple of times just to figure out what they mean with their directions. I have one pattern that at least 6 ladies who quilt read it the same way I did, and it made no sense to any of us. I emailed the lady who designed the pattern and she was rather rude with her answer, and stated in her email that apparently I was just not familiar with cutting fabric this way and didn't know how to read a pattern, if I would just read the directions I could make the quilt. Talk about really ticking someone off, she made me furious. I finally kept going over and over the pattern and figured it out, with no help from her. It turned out really pretty, in pastels, a variation of a log cabin, but not done in any way you would think to do one. Just when I was going to try it on my own with my version of cutting the fabric, I finally figured out what she meant with her directions.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bstanbro
Originally Posted by Lacelady

The pic isn't all that clear, but have you considered appliqueing the centres of the suns? You could cut out thin card exactly the shape required, put it on your fabric, trim to about 1/4 inch larger all round (or a little larger), and then iron the excess over the card. To get it to lay flat, you might have to run a small gathering stitch through the seam allowance first. Allow it to cool, then remove the card. Turn the patch over, and applique onto your block.
That might work. I'm doing okay with the "rays" of the suns. It's just when I put the solid quarter circle together with them that causes me grief. There are two sets of four suns, mirror images of one another. I could use the same template for both by turning it over to the other side. Even if I have to top-stitch over it, I think it would bette than what I'm doing now. And since they're already cut for a quarter-inch seam, I could use the same pattern for the template that I used to cut the suns in the first place. I'll give it a try on the next block and see how it goes. Thanks for a good idea.
Let us know how you get on Barbara, I hope it works for you.
Old 05-30-2010, 02:13 AM

I would love to have the pattern. It looks like a challenge. I sometimes will iron on a stabilizer to hard to "flatten" pieces. It helps and a thin stabilizer will keep it flat. Something thinner than the freezer paper. I love batiks too. Keep on going, it will work itself out. When it is done and quilted it will be beautiful. What stands out to you won't stand out to anyone else. Love to see the finished quilt top. Where did you get the Pattern. Love it.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:19 AM

I like to copy my paper pieced patterns on to muslin and use that instead of paper. It makes it easier to lie flat. Also sometimes a good douse of spray starch will give you the push it needs to flatten. Good luck, it is a beautiful pattern!
Old 05-30-2010, 04:38 AM
Banned

I suggest you write to the author of the pattern. She is a respected designer and shold help you with the problem.
Let her know your problem.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:53 AM

When you trim your circles, have you tried using pinking sheers?
Old 05-30-2010, 05:57 AM
Banned

Bamboozle is a real word. And the only pattern that has done that was a Pam Bono. I feel your pain! :-(
Old 05-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bstanbro
Originally Posted by bearisgray
Are you leaving the last 1/4 inch of the seams of the rays unstitched? That might help a little bit.
Are you setting the arcs in like a sleeve?
Do you mean the last 1/4-inch of the rays? I'm stitching them to the end of the marked line on the pattern, then I'm running a basting stitch in the curve to hold all the pieces stable. It kind of flops around if I don't. Is that a problem?
I really don't know - I would "cheat/adapt" and applique the centers on.

Have you watched that video yet?
Old 05-30-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I would love to have the pattern. It looks like a challenge. I sometimes will iron on a stabilizer to hard to "flatten" pieces. It helps and a thin stabilizer will keep it flat. Something thinner than the freezer paper. I love batiks too. Keep on going, it will work itself out. When it is done and quilted it will be beautiful. What stands out to you won't stand out to anyone else. Love to see the finished quilt top. Where did you get the Pattern. Love it.
I got the pattern at a quilt show. I don't know if it's still availble, but try the Stitchin Post Quilt Shop:

http://www.stitchinpost.com/

The woman who designed the pattern either owns the place or works there. I'm not sure which. While I was doing a search for the picture I posted, I kept seeing "unavailable," but it's worth a try (if you love frustration).
Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 AM

My 1st Texas Star would not lie flat. I took the center apart, cut out a circle and appliqued a small solid star on top. It turned out really good. I would post a pic but I gave the quilt away and had forgotten to take a picture of it.