Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What happened to hairnets or ponytails? >

What happened to hairnets or ponytails?

What happened to hairnets or ponytails?

Old 07-12-2010, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

On food network they stress cleanliness. And they wash their hands after handling meat.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:57 PM
Power Poster

Granddaughter, waits tables, and tends bar and always wears her hair up and uses hair spray. Hair spray should cause hair to stick together and not drop into food or drinks. She takes a shower before leaving the house and is very good at cleanliness.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

oh gosh yes, hair nets and gloves too.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Yuck. I have really longhair and i always try to remember to pull my hair back when cooking. Plus it falls out so easy when it is long.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Andii
I am a sugar lover and am partial to cakes and cupcakes and baked goods but after watching the bakery shows on TV shows lately I don't think I'd ever order a fancy cake.

Does anyone else think long hair should be covered or pulled back when working with food? Actually, all hair. Everyone's hair is hanging around their face and over the frosting-yuck! No gloves.

Tonight I watched the Bakery Bunch for the first time and they were cleaning out their van and trying to identify old unknown food chunks and talking about how bad it was. Then swept it out with a mini-vac and placed this thousand(s?)dollar wedding cake (the baker's words)into the back part of the van without a box!! The baker then went back inside wearing the same apron she had worn to bake and clean in...ewww!

Call me old-fashioned but hairnets weren't just about being pretty :hunf: Does this bother anyone else?
That is enough to turn me off to bakery goods....Utterly disgusting :thumbdown:
Old 07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Power Poster

I did find the van more than a little gross :shock: And to air it on tv, please . They should be embarrassed
Old 07-13-2010, 12:08 AM

I think on TV shows they don't wear them for the same reason that forensic people don't wear masks, surgical caps, etc. It's for show, no one is actually going to eat it. Even if they show them eating cake it's probably not the same one. DId you know that the food that's shown in advertising pictures and in commercials is usually frozen and PAINTED??? Even the shine that makes it look juicy is painted on. And if juice is dripping down it's colored, slightly thicken water.

I was at a Sonic one day and discovered a hair on my burger. There were 4 of us there. When I complained instead of refunding my money they gave me coupons for 4 free meals----yeah, like I'm going to eat there again!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:26 AM

I used to be a waitress and had to wear a hairnet over all my hair. Made me look silly but we all had to do it. Men too.

This isn't about hair, but I watch Iron Chef now and then. I've seen sweat drip off their foreheads or noses while they're leaning over the food. ICK
Or they taste the food with the same spoon again and again. ICK again.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:48 AM

Hair doesn't bother me as much as seeing someone with a bandage around their hands and not wearing gloves. :thumbdown:
Old 07-13-2010, 03:54 AM

I put my hair up when Im at home cooking, I would expect the same thing when I went out!