Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Missing packages... has this happened to you? >

Missing packages... has this happened to you?

Missing packages... has this happened to you?

Old 11-24-2010, 12:15 PM

UPS can get the signature for you, and if it isn't close to the name on the package, they have "ways" of tracking down that delivered package.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:20 PM

I live in a mobile home development where all the streets look the same. Several times my packages have been delivered to the same number on a different street. Fortunately, they were hand delivered by the residents to me.

Interesting bit about a Fed-Ex package I received that wasn't mine. It was addressed for a city 20 miles away. They insisted it was mine regardless of how many different people I spoke with on the phone. I dropped it in the box and it came back again. I attempted to locate the person on the label, but no luck. The address must have been off. I felt bad because someone was expecting it and never received it. It must have made it's way to the recipient or back to the sender because it didn't come back a 3rd time.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:33 PM

I never Ever have had any problem and I live overseas.
The only *problem* I could refer is shipping times. But that's not a BIG problem. I always have my packages sent by USPS and then in Argentina, Correo Argentino. never lost anything.
Regarding FEDEX, UPS, you must claim for the signature proof. From time to time I face the same problem at work, but after reaching A HUMAN on the phone, I claim for the signature proof. Everything came to a good end, eventually.
Hope you can solve yr situation soon! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Old 11-24-2010, 12:59 PM

I had a package go missing. I sent a package full of items, including a quilt to Airedale Rescue in Wisconsin for an auction. I'm glad that I sent it early. After a few weeks, it still didn't show up. Dumb me, I didn't insure or ask for delivery confirmation. Never need it before. After about SIX weeks I got a call from the 'Haz/Mat' department of the US Postal service in San Antonio. Told me that they had a package there from me. I asked how it got there. They said since it was in a liquor box, it could not go through the mail. It was a sturdy box the right size. On the outside, you could see that it was a box from W.L. Weller, which is a bourbon or whiskey. You could definitely tell that there was not liquor in the box. It was not wrapped, just taped shut with an address label on it. I was told that I couldn't use that kind of box because it could be mistaken for liquor. I asked why would a postal employee except it if it wasn't authorized. Her replay was that the employee probably didn't know it wasn't authorized. My reply was 'if your own employees don't know, how do you think I would know'? First they told me I would have to pick up the box and wrap it. I told them I was about 200 hundred miles from there. Finally they did agree to send it on.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:00 PM

My daughter had this happen.. I am in the process of getting my refund from the Post Office.. I insured it but they gave it to someone else who forged my daughters signature. PO's fault... not mine or my daughter!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:01 PM

I track UPS deliveries I'm expecting so know when I should get mine. Only once a package was "delivered" and I didn't have it. My house # is 501 and it had been delivered to 510. UPS picked it up and brought it to me. Only time to have happened. I have a directive to leave any packages by my side door if I am not at home, that door is not visible from the street.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:07 PM

Lots of problems with fed ex but what made me the most angry was that they kept telling me my big screen TV was delivered and I should just look behind the bushes. Every time I called the person told me the same thing. It was delivered to the wrong address!!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:52 PM

Any markings on boxes should be obliterated by using a black marker or some other method. If they can be marked out, then you can use the box.

The clerk should have known proper procedures, and should have advised you at the time of mailing.

People reuse boxes all the time and that's okay as long as the outside of the box does not indicate that the contents are something they aren't. For example, any type of alcoholic beverages cannot be mailed, or some other product that might be considered hazmat.

Since the vast majority of parcels are sorted by machine, it is imperitive to know that any potential hazardous material is handled properly, so it doesn't cause safety issues.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I asked why would a postal employee except it if it wasn't authorized.
Don't you hate to send a message and later read it and there is a glaring mistake?

The correct thing would be '...postal employee accept it if....'
Old 11-24-2010, 02:49 PM

We received confirmation that a package had been delivered, when we didn't have it. The package turned up several days later. We think our postal delivery person delivered it to the wrong address and our honest neighbors returned it.