Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready for no power! >

Getting ready for no power!

Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-29-2011, 06:20 PM
elm

Glad you had no problems. But, given what I saw on the news tonight, a lot of other people are really suffering. That seems to be the way it is with all the natural catastrophies we've seen this year. Sometimes it's the next house or those across the street or the next town. The best we can say about it is it's a very messy process.
Heard from my daughter in Mass. She just had debrit to clean up, but can't go to work because the neighboring town where her office is has no electricity and is not sure when it will be back on. My heart goes out to all the folks who are flooded or will be in the coming days as the rivers crest.
Originally Posted by butterflywing
now that it's over, i have to say as hurricanes go, it was a hard rain. not a tornado, as predicted. not a hurricane and not even a tropical storm. i live on very flat land 5 miles from the water.

fewer trees fell than in most hard rains. only one power line came down in the whole town. no injuries. a small part of town had no power for one day and night and then it was back. nobody lost phone or computer or tv. a few basements had water. we had .5". we vacuumed it and ran a fan and in four hours it was gone.

the shore was hit hard, as usual.

off topic: if you live at the edge of the water, the water comes to get you once in a while. it doesn't take a hurricane. to tell the truth, i don't want to pay for beach replenishment anymore for people who aren't smart enough to move away. and i don't want my insurance to go up anymore to pay for damaged homes at the shore. want to live there? pay for your own repairs. so i have no mercy for beach dwellers.

all in all, the media blew this out of proportion. all they had to do was say ' keep safe. use common sense.' 'if you live in a flood zone, get out. we won't come and get you. if you stay, you're on your own'. 'we have people to take you to shelters. call us.' ' we'll even take your pets in a cage'. i think that says it all. anyone else? out of the gene pool.

btw, they did take pets if they were caged and you brought food for them and kitty litter for cats.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by elm
Glad you had no problems. But, given what I saw on the news tonight, a lot of other people are really suffering. That seems to be the way it is with all the natural catastrophies we've seen this year. Sometimes it's the next house or those across the street or the next town. The best we can say about it is it's a very messy process.
Heard from my daughter in Mass. She just had debrit to clean up, but can't go to work because the neighboring town where her office is has no electricity and is not sure when it will be back on. My heart goes out to all the folks who are flooded or will be in the coming days as the rivers crest.
Originally Posted by butterflywing
now that it's over, i have to say as hurricanes go, it was a hard rain. not a tornado, as predicted. not a hurricane and not even a tropical storm. i live on very flat land 5 miles from the water.

fewer trees fell than in most hard rains. only one power line came down in the whole town. no injuries. a small part of town had no power for one day and night and then it was back. nobody lost phone or computer or tv. a few basements had water. we had .5". we vacuumed it and ran a fan and in four hours it was gone.

the shore was hit hard, as usual.

off topic: if you live at the edge of the water, the water comes to get you once in a while. it doesn't take a hurricane. to tell the truth, i don't want to pay for beach replenishment anymore for people who aren't smart enough to move away. and i don't want my insurance to go up anymore to pay for damaged homes at the shore. want to live there? pay for your own repairs. so i have no mercy for beach dwellers.

all in all, the media blew this out of proportion. all they had to do was say ' keep safe. use common sense.' 'if you live in a flood zone, get out. we won't come and get you. if you stay, you're on your own'. 'we have people to take you to shelters. call us.' ' we'll even take your pets in a cage'. i think that says it all. anyone else? out of the gene pool.

btw, they did take pets if they were caged and you brought food for them and kitty litter for cats.
the rivers that crested are the same ones that crest every time the rains are hard. this time the news was overreactive. in new jersey the towns that flood can be named well ahead of the time that the rain arrives. what i'm saying is that the media makes each rain storm sound like the worst one ever. what you saw on the news was what they wanted you to see. they don't show you the people who come out and say that they get flooded all the time. that's not good news. whenever it rains a lot, the news shows show rowboats going along streets picking up people. in new jersey that's old news. what i have never understood is why people buy into those areas in the first place. it's not as though there are no other affordable places to live.

yes, it's sad for people who get hit. but the 'hurricane' was nowhere as bad as the media predicted, nor as long lasting. nor did it affect as many people as predicted. as usual, the media is so anxious to outdo each other for ratings, that they scare the life out of people. there was someone in morristown, 50 miles inland and on high ground, thinking that the rainstorm was going to injure her. that's what the media does. the media is directly responsible for that kind of scare tactic to get ratings. it's shameful and unnecessary.

i'll bet that many, not all, places that flooded this time are places that have flooded in hard rains before and expected it.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:52 AM

Well, I live at the shore and I am fine.....it wasn't the flooding that did us in....we got hit by a very close strike of lightning, it was not a direct hit but close enough to do damage......From Irene, we lost electric from Saturday through Tuesday afternoon and it was no fun.

Living in the dark and going to bed at 8PM was like being in the House on the Prairie.

We lost most all the food in fridge and freezer and I had no sewing machine for three days..
..................biggest tragedy of the weekend for me!!!.............

...but what I saw in other areas of my little town, the authorities had it pretty much on the ball.....although Irene downgraded some, we had much damage in our town.

Any recovery for my losses come from MY insurance..payment for which coming out of MY pocket.

If county, state or government funds help to pay for our beaches, they are used all summer by people from the inner parts of NJ.
If they don't get replenished and the boardwalks repaired, it's mostly a lot of out-of-towners who will be at a loss......believe me, it's definitely not only townspeople who enjoy the beach and peaceful feelings of strolling along her shores.

We, who did not get hit hard with damage, should be thankful for our blessings and pray for those who had the misfortune of being on the receiving end of Irene.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:43 PM

Sunday, 8/28/11........Spring Lake, NJ

north end of tow
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249679[/ATTACH]

waves after Irene
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249680[/ATTACH]

boards weathered the storm
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249681[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-249673.jpe   attachment-249674.jpe   attachment-249675.jpe  
Old 08-31-2011, 12:47 PM

South end of town........

South end pavillion
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249682[/ATTACH]

waves hitting the south end of town
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249683[/ATTACH]

what's left of the so. end boardwalk
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249684[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-249676.jpe   attachment-249677.jpe   attachment-249678.jpe  
Old 08-31-2011, 12:51 PM

and within the town

1 block from the ocean, flooded to the 5th block also
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249685[/ATTACH]

this bench sits on the lawn around the no. lake
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249686[/ATTACH]

swans retuned to their home....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]249687[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-249679.jpe   attachment-249680.jpe   attachment-249681.jpe  
Old 08-31-2011, 04:08 PM
elm

I totally agree with you.
Living in Florida has taught me that when a storm misses me, it hits someone else. My first reaction is thank goodness I'm not going to have to deal with problems. My second is oh boy, who got hit, how can I help.
Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
Well, I live at the shore and I am fine.....it wasn't the flooding that did us in....we got hit by a very close strike of lightning, it was not a direct hit but close enough to do damage......From Irene, we lost electric from Saturday through Tuesday afternoon and it was no fun.

Living in the dark and going to bed at 8PM was like being in the House on the Prairie.

We lost most all the food in fridge and freezer and I had no sewing machine for three days..
..................biggest tragedy of the weekend for me!!!.............

...but what I saw in other areas of my little town, the authorities had it pretty much on the ball.....although Irene downgraded some, we had much damage in our town.

Any recovery for my losses come from MY insurance..payment for which coming out of MY pocket.

If county, state or government funds help to pay for our beaches, they are used all summer by people from the inner parts of NJ.
If they don't get replenished and the boardwalks repaired, it's mostly a lot of out-of-towners who will be at a loss......believe me, it's definitely not only townspeople who enjoy the beach and peaceful feelings of strolling along her shores.

We, who did not get hit hard with damage, should be thankful for our blessings and pray for those who had the misfortune of being on the receiving end of Irene.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:38 PM

Hope you weathered it alright and have power again soon.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:30 AM

believe me i feel sorry that so many people suffered needlessly and that so many suffered who could not help themselves.

here, in the newspapers and on tv, people are already stepping up and admitting that they were foolish in their approach. one older lady said that she could only blame herself for staying after the town was evacuated. why? she didn't want to leave her knick-knacks. somebody rowed her to a shelter without her knick-knacks. she was glad to be alive.

another woman was plenty pi**ed off at her dh because he wouldn't leave his motorcycle. they spent 2 days on the second floor of their house with their 2 dogs, no electric and no water, waiting for help. btw, his motorcycle is dead.

someone on tv opened a manhole to release water on his lawn. do i have to tell you the rest?

a man, up to his geegaw in water and sewage admitted that maybe he shouldn't have defied the evacuation order and gone to the shelter instead. he could have taken his pet, and now he can't find it. he was crying.

any number of people are saying they will never live near water again or are glad they didn't this time.

living near the passaic river, which feeds paterson falls, the second-largest falls on the east coast after niagra falls, is not a great idea.

the gov't is going to make available to those unfortunate people low-cost loans. will they take the money and run? i doubt it.
they'll pour that money right back into those now-unhealthy houses and wait for the next hard rain.

candidates running for local office promise lower taxes. in order to achieve that, they allow building where it shouldn't happen. in order to accommodate the new people, more schools and stores have to be built. new roads that require constant maintenance. more police. more teachers, etc. new sewers, more pavement, less trees. less woods. the fewer woods and trees there are, the more standing groundwater there is and the less windbreak there is. when there is a heavy rain and the ground is already saturated, all the surrounding rivers and falls swell because the earth can't absorb another drop. floods occur.
the new people who bought the new houses didn't know about the overflows. but the people who lived here before have seen floods often enough to know what can happen. they still want to live at the shore AND not have floods AND not have to pay taxes. it doesn't work that way. remember, the grand canyon was once a river. water does what it wants to do.

new jersey is loaded with rivers and bays and the ocean. it simply can't take the runoff. after all the building and the cost of the infrastructure, the town that voted yes to the building permits saved maybe $100 per year per household. $1.92 a week. this is what i mean by not using common sense.

they've traded woods and trees for flood plains. now they have homes that no one in their right minds will buy. imo, they have nothing.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:03 PM

This is exactly the same thing that happened in New Orleans for Katrina in 2005.