Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Let's Organize Something Today >

Let's Organize Something Today

Let's Organize Something Today

Old 01-19-2016, 05:23 PM

NotWendy: love your sewing nook.

Quilty-Louise: Wow, have you been busy! A little note on the metal paper clips. I have used them on fabric before in another part of the country where it was a little more humid and found some of them rusted "on my fabric". YUK. But, your area may be dry and not cause a problem.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:46 PM

This is so inspiring! I'm in the process of reclaiming my sewing room - in the last ten years it has gone from a sewing room to a workout room for my husband & son, then just a catch all storage room (we have a hard time getting rid of anything!). I've been going up after work most nights just to sort a box or maybe two and yes, I have been letting go too. Slow going and at times emotional, but it has been good for me. Thank you all.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Marcy P View Post
This is so inspiring! I'm in the process of reclaiming my sewing room - in the last ten years it has gone from a sewing room to a workout room for my husband & son, then just a catch all storage room (we have a hard time getting rid of anything!). I've been going up after work most nights just to sort a box or maybe two and yes, I have been letting go too. Slow going and at times emotional, but it has been good for me. Thank you all.
Good for you! I can't believe the difference a few 15 minute sessions has made on my sewing area and my mood.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:09 PM
Banned

So far I have spent at least 30 minutes to 2 hours each day this
week in my sewing corner (hopefully SOON it will be more than
a corner).

Told my hubs last night that I was going to need his help in shuffling
the bins around I want to bring about 18 bins to the "front" and all
the bins that I am not highly interested in working on (like the flannel)
is going to be shuffled to the back until I get around to them.

But I need to go to Ikea and buy some more shelves as the shelves
that came with my units are now all full.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
So far I have spent at least 30 minutes to 2 hours each day this
week in my sewing corner (hopefully SOON it will be more than
a corner).

Told my hubs last night that I was going to need his help in shuffling
the bins around I want to bring about 18 bins to the "front" and all
the bins that I am not highly interested in working on (like the flannel)
is going to be shuffled to the back until I get around to them.

But I need to go to Ikea and buy some more shelves as the shelves
that came with my units are now all full.

I'm sure you can really major progress at the rate you've been organizing. Keep it up!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:31 AM

Yesterday was a good day. I got my thread and bobbins organized and then because I had bought some new note cards I organized my stationary drawer as well. It needed it!

Today they are calling for several feet of snow so I expect to get something done.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:15 AM

I've got the yellows/oranges folded - and now on to the green. I'm managing to stay on track with getting one color group done in a week. I'm starting to feel like my elephant is a lot smaller than when I started!

Making a point to organize a bit each day has helped me to want to do a bit in other areas of the house, which has made DH very happy. He wants me to tackle this next . . .

Way back when we were remodeling the house, this was going to be my craft/sewing closet. It is under the stairs, and right next to the small room that was going to be my sewing/craft room. But that was before I got into quilting and collecting vintage machines . . .

This closet has a lot of non-quilting type fabric, and DH knows I've got several yards of shirt flannel and he wants to make himself some shirts. There are some seriously long term UFO's in there, and craft supplies for crafts I'll probably never do again. I've got to be tough - if I can't find a room for it upstairs, then out the door it needs to go. A lot will stay in this close (extra bedding and seasonal), but then it will be find-able!
Old 01-23-2016, 06:36 PM

Nice work, Cathy. The yellows look so sunshiny and warm. Keep at it and your elephant will be a baby in no time. As for that closet, I'd say take everything out of it (after your color stacks are organized, that is--one thing at a time!). Have DH pick the flannels he wants, then assign a number to the rest of the pieces. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being what you most want to keep, keep only what's an 8,9, or 10. Just a suggestion that helps me not put back anything that doesn't rank high.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by tkhooper View Post
Yesterday was a good day. I got my thread and bobbins organized and then because I had bought some new note cards I organized my stationary drawer as well. It needed it!

Today they are calling for several feet of snow so I expect to get something done.

That's a job job but bet you feel good it's done. We have a couple feet of snow here (northern MD). I've been sewing and cooking and watching snow fall and blow.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:34 PM

zozee, I've been doing the same thing here. I even got out the food processor that I bought at an auction ages ago and worked with it for the first time. Now I have some hashbrowns frozen ready to cook. I have an entire book on how to make boxed foods to save money and most of it calls for a food processor so maybe I'll get some of that done before the snow melts as well.