Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • Free Mystery Quilt starting April 1 >
  • Free Mystery Quilt starting April 1

• Free Mystery Quilt starting April 1

Old 04-22-2008, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaRae
    I just got it :shock: If you cut right sides together (which you do not have to do) you will not have the little tail on the end of the triangle piece that goes towards the center triangle. Hmmm. Now I will cut the fabric right sides together. I am glad I did not do them yet. I am starting on the little triangles now and thought I would look at what "Mary" was saying. Hey if we don't have to cut the tail, one less step. Good Hint Mary! :D Bebe are you using the Easy Angler ruler or the other directions for cutting. I have not even looked at the other directions. I know Aggi can help you if you get stuck but if she is not around I will read them and help you :!:
    Sorry I'm only getting to the messages now, I haven't had a chance to get to the Internet all weekend and I have missed you all!! I do have all my 142 blocks made!! wooo hoooo!!

I'm not exactely sure what you are talking about Bebe, but when it comes to those tails at the end of the triangles, I like to keep them on, because they act as a great guide to making sure that I am getting a 1/4 inch seam allowance when I have to add the bigger triangle on to my little triangles. I have always left the tails on afterwards, cause to me it meant more work later to take them all off LOL!!! I hate having to create more work for myself :) :P

I still have a few more posts to read from this thread. I didn't have work yesterday as it was a long weekend here. So I am doing some serious catch up here this morning in the office to read some posts in between work...

I hope to have photos of my half triangles posted this evening!!
    Old 04-22-2008, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chele
    Ta da! I had to make a few more after I squared them up. Some were quite wonky and got thrown in the scrap bin. Is everyone having fun? I'm even more intrigued!
    Love your blocks Chele!!!!
    Old 04-22-2008, 03:07 AM

Okay, here are my first two completed step 2 blocks. I am a long ways off still. I am still sewing the little triangles to the 2 inch squares. I ran into a snag. A little while back I bought 500 2 inch squares off someone. So I started to use them and when I went to make the block they did not fit. :shock: I was getting upset thinking I had cut something wrong. Oh could you imagine. Cutting all those and a set be wrong. Well I guess I could say I lucked out. It was the 2 inch squares. Some are not square. More like 2" X 1 and almost 7/8". (short of the 7/8") So of course it did not work. So I have to take all those apart. Luckly I do have a lot more 2 inch squares. But I am upset with this person for selling me these squares. Nothing I can do now. Oh well guess they will go with my other small scraps for the crumb quilt. :D At least I am building up those for a good start. :D Till, later, gotta backward sew for a while. :wink:
    Your blocks are looking GREAT DonnaRae!!!
    Sorry to hear all your 2" blocks were not cut right.. yes I would be a bit peeved too, but true what you say, they will get used in a crumb quilt!! I have 38 6" crumbs blocks made. I started making another 22 last month, but haven't got back to them. I have been too busy working on my mystery and a few other projects I'm trying to get ready to sell! I hope to get some good sewing time in this week as I leave for my trip south on Sunday!! woo hooo sun and sand cant' wait!
    Old 04-22-2008, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
    You are all looking good. I haven't even cut yet but I did buy the ruler. I have been trying to finish a few things.......

How about the current BOM .......no one has done it......I aM GOING TO GET ONE DONE I would feel awful if it was my pick. I'm going to applique it
    Ruth I had to give up this BOM for now as I have so many other projects to complete. I will hopefully work on the next one when it is posted.
    Old 04-22-2008, 03:12 AM

Mary, your tured out great! Hope mine do too. So how is everyone doing, comming along? Been kinda quite here lately so just checking up. Have not heard from Aggi either. I am still working on step two. Had to do some backward sewing. Phooy. Done now and reironed them. Back to regular sewing. Hee Hee. Have a good day everyone :!:
    hee hee I'm here DonnaRae!! nice to hear I was missed :) Hugs to you!!!!

Mary I love your blocks.. You definetely got the scrappy thing going and they look grrrrrrrreeeeeeaaaaaattt!! :)

We had beautiful weather here too this past weekend. I managed to get a bit of sewing in and finished my Step #2. We went out for a nice long walk on Sunday afternoon with Trevor's sister and her family to one of the parks here and then they all came back to Trevor's place to play the Wii system!! I'm now a pro golfer!! hee heee!
    Old 04-22-2008, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingTurtle
    grrr I haven't even started my step 2 patches yet. I picked a Round robin center that was a little advanced for me. I thought I was broadening my horizons, but I think I over stepped them.
    Hang in there!!! We quilters ALWAYS seem to take on more than we can chew... but we get through it all. I had hoped to get involved in that Round Robin here too, but I had to take a good long hard look at what projects I was doing now and what commitments I had for the next 6-7 months, and knew I just couldnt' take it on. If I was to it, I had to be sure I was going to be reliable and have everything ready to send each month on time, but looking at it realistically I had to give up something. Hopefully if another RR comes up in late Fall, I might be in a better position to take it on! What will your center look like?
    Old 04-22-2008, 03:32 AM

I am hanging in there thanks :)

It is an appliqued center on a background of log cabin blocks. It is called winter garden. I did simplify it a little from the pattern.

If you follow this link, scroll down to the bottom of the page. You can see a small pic of part of it. To get an idea anyways.

http://www.qnm.com/issue/397/index1.html
    Old 04-22-2008, 04:46 AM

oooooooooooooh Quilting Turtle.. WOW WOW WOW!!!! are you going to do it in blues like the photo???? I looooooooooove applique!! are you hand or machine appliquing?
    Old 04-22-2008, 05:02 AM

Thanks Aggi,
    I figured out what the ladies were talking about. I am working on step 1 and 2 at the same time. I am having fun making them. They go pretty fast and are pretty easy. I should be caught up in a few days. Let's see what step 3 brings us???

Happy sewing everyone!!!
    Bebe
    Old 04-22-2008, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingTurtle
    I am hanging in there thanks :)

It is an appliqued center on a background of log cabin blocks. It is called winter garden. I did simplify it a little from the pattern.

If you follow this link, scroll down to the bottom of the page. You can see a small pic of part of it. To get an idea anyways.

http://www.qnm.com/issue/397/index1.html
    Wow, that is awesome. Would like to see some pics when you are done! I like Aggi have had to much to do to get involved with the RR. But I would like to do it maybe in the Fall also. Hopefully things slow down by then. Except of course all the holiday sewing which I do every year. Whew. I think in Fall I think, okay the beginning of the year will slow down and then when that time comes around I think the end of the year will slow down. Hmmmm, maybe need to meet the months halfway? Hee Hee.