Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops >

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Likes/Dislikes in quilt shops

Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by scrappydoo
My husband says, a 10% discount for every quilter that drags their "significant other" to the store!
My husband said that too. He said if they would give a discount for dragging the husband in, that he would even purchase fabric....He goes with me every time I go to a fabric store. He likes to look at the fabric too. He's in no way a quilter and in no way does he know how to match colors, but he tries.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:49 PM

Friendly service is a must. I don't want to go into a shop and feel intimidated because the employees are snobbish.

Organized fabrics.

Classes---our quilt shop gives a student discount on the class if you bought the fabrics ahead of time (and a discount on the quilting services if you have a finished project from a class quilted there).

I like that ours has projects made from kits and quilts (not always from kits) hanging up...first time I went in there I was awed by this denim cathedral quilt and have wanted to make a cathedral quilt ever since.

I really like she cuts her fabric with the rotary cutter and ruler instead of with scissors...makes a very clean straight edge and I know I'm getting exactly a yard and not a yard on the bottom edge and 7/8 on the top. She has a counter with a mat and two 1 yard rulers (one going vertical and the other going horizontal) bolted onto it.

Oooh. And sometimes she has coffee and donuts or something else to snack on. She also sells soda for $.50 (kind of nice when I have to walk there...her shop is on one end of town and my house is on the other end so a good 6 miles). I think every now and then she gets together with other quilters and they just chat. I think someone else said something about "having tea"...think its similar to that.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:51 PM

i have never been in a quilt shop where the employees were friendly. they sure seem "clique-y" to me. it's like if you are not a regular, they don't care. duh, why would i want to be a regular if you are not polite to your customers!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:57 PM

There are 2 in my town. One as just a quilt shop. The other as a sewing/quilt shop. They have 2-3 times the number of fabrics and notions, all the things for any sewing project. I prefer the one with everything in it. There isn't much extra space, but it is the busier of the 2 store. Samples and lots of fabric.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by azdesertrat

We have a quilt shop here in town that is open on sunday.the owner said if she ever opened a quilt shop she would be open on sundays,and she is,they are open 7 days a week
I second this one.... even though I am kind of one of those retired folks (work part time now). Having Sunday afternoon hours would be great if you can swing it. I hate when our only choices are walmart or Joann's, when you need fabric on a Sunday.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by gellybean402
My quilt shop keeps a tab on how much fabric I purchase. Once I have spent $200 dollars, I receive a $20.00 gift certificate to buy (you guessed it) more fabric!
There is a fabric shop over on the Oregon Coast that I will go to every time we go to the Coast. I always take $20 dollars with me to spend there because they are so friendly and they aslo do the same thing, Keep track of how much I have spent there and they also do the "gift certificate". It may take me a couple years to get to the $200 mark but its definately well worth waiting and a bonus to me, because even thought I only take $20 with me its always a surprise when they tell me I have a $20 credit. I love it. And they also have a little bistro table and chairs at the front of the store.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:09 PM

I have to tell you, that this is probably one of the best questions anyone wanting to start a business should ask!! Everyone has pretty much said friendly staff, and I agree. I drive an hour to my favorite qs because of the friendly people that work there. Even if you start your shop small, ask your customers what they would like to see next and offer a list of things you want to start, some people really might surprise you. As long as you treat people the way you want to be treated, you will have a loyal customer base! Sorry, I tend to ramble sometimes, I worked as a store manager for 10 years, guess it's still there!! Good luck and keep us posted!!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:14 PM

I would say helpful employee's are a must. If you have a sample up in the store, have the pattern for it...there is nothing more frusterating then seeing a pattern that you like and being told that they dont have it anymore.

I like the technique of the month ideas too. Just something small so you can try something before you commit to a larger project.
Block of the months are good too, I did one that you had to show the last block before you could get the next block and it made me actually keep up with it.
Good lighting! Can't say enough for the stores that are over packed and dark that makes it hard to look a the fabric and truly see it.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:14 PM

Sorry but I don't care for animals in a quilt shop knowing they have been laying on the fabric. No pet hair on my fabric please. Another reason for this is some people are allergic. Good luck if you move forward with your idea.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Boise Madhatter
Enough employees so that you don't have wait at the cutting table for 20 minute & another 20-30 minutes waiting at the cash register.

Friendly employees who are patient & nonjudgmental when a newbie asks a question. I agree with the younger quilters and the discrimination they are getting. I get the flip-side, with attitudes like "oh gosh you are just now learning to do this? or wow you know you might be to old to learn this at YOUR age"

I try to keep my sense of humor in cases like this but if I am planing on dropping some of my hard earn cash at at store; well why should I do it at a store that makes me feel badly about myself?
Yes, this is an issue at my fave LQS. There is only one or two workers AND the owner is a real talker who often keeps customers in the store a little longer than desired.