Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group >

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Boom 20 - Quail 3 month group

Old 05-13-2018, 10:22 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to quilt in matching colors for this one. Yellow sounded good before I got the blocks pieced together but now matching seems to be the right choice.

This quilt is coming together sooner than I expected although not easier. I had vertigo last week and I sewed with my 'student/friend' on Wednesday. I put a needle through my thumb, really just catching it. It's healed already. My friend told me, 'that's it you're done sewing today'. Yesterday I realized I'd also sewn the rows together incorrectly. Went back to sewing last night and hope to get it quilted on Wednesday.

This is the third time I've had a bad vertigo attack this year. In addition to many other interventions, they gave me a prescription for valium, which doesn't make the vertigo better but apparently you don't care about having vertigo. Haven't used it yet. I've done a ton of tests and am doing more next week. They just haven't figured out the cause yet.

My youngest DS and I went out to breakfast this morning for Mother's day. Hoping all of you enjoy your mother's day. My DH is back east helping to deal with my MIL's 'estate'. A sad mother's day for us. I'll be glad when he comes back tomorrow.

Off to teach restorative yoga today. I may be teaching from a chair. Depending on how things go. It's a great class. You feel all stretched out and like you've had a great nap. The guy I'm subbing for has subbed for me so much I feel like I owe him my first born. I"m happy I can return the favor.

I will be lurking for the next boom. I love the names. I'm hoping to get a bunch of quilts finished this year. I've divided the booms up into several quilts to finish: Two more Day of the Dead wall hangings to finish, A chili pepper table runner, Hawaian mantle piece , and of course the beautiful blue and white quilt. I also am going to make a quilt featuring a peacock inspired by a comment by Terriamn. I also have a long time project I"m going to rework based on a conversation I had with this amazing art quilter I met at a FLA airbnb we stayed at. Not to mention the steampunk angel my oldest artist son and I designed for my youngest son that hasn't been started. So there's lots for me to do

Dh and I are doing a trip in July up the coast to Portland and Washington in our kluged up 99 van. We are also headed on another visit the relatives trip back east (Omaha, Indiana, and NY) in August. We are going to my help my daughter and her significant other build a wall (that Mexico is not going to pay for) in their house. That trip is when I'll deliver my mom's quilt to her. We are hoping to travel to Belize while my husband still has an airline companion pass in December. So if my vertigo cooperates we will be doing a lot of traveling!

I will be following the new boom and thinking of all my great boom friends. Much appreciation to all of you and especially Janice.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

mjp, I'm so sorry about the vertigo! I had it only once and thought I was going to die. I had to be hospitalized. They ran every test on me too, and found nothing. Not helpful, but at least it's been a year and a half and it's never returned. I wish they knew more about it. Sounds like your itinerary for the rest of the year is jam packed! Hope you get to do all the traveling you plan...lots of fun trips.

I have watched the free Craftsy weekend as long as I can stand... Angela Walter's wonderful machine quilting classes. I'm going to have to buy them. Yesterday I spray basted 4 smaller quilts on tables in the garage, and let them air out to make sure the glue was good and dry. Today I tried to quilt one of them using some of Angela's techniques, and the machine wasn't having any of it! It seems it won't quilt spray glue. I cleaned the needle off with alcohol, then changed the needle when that didn't work, and it still skipped stitches like crazy. It hates glue. I had to finish the little quilt on my smaller Juki (2010Q) which didn't like the glue much better. I hope I can get the other three quilted! This was not supposed to happen on Mother's Day! And... no more spray gluing for me.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to quilt in matching colors for this one. Yellow sounded good before I got the blocks pieced together but now matching seems to be the right choice.

This quilt is coming together sooner than I expected although not easier. I had vertigo last week and I sewed with my 'student/friend' on Wednesday. I put a needle through my thumb, really just catching it. It's healed already. My friend told me, 'that's it you're done sewing today'. Yesterday I realized I'd also sewn the rows together incorrectly. Went back to sewing last night and hope to get it quilted on Wednesday.

This is the third time I've had a bad vertigo attack this year. In addition to many other interventions, they gave me a prescription for valium, which doesn't make the vertigo better but apparently you don't care about having vertigo. Haven't used it yet. I've done a ton of tests and am doing more next week. They just haven't figured out the cause yet.

My youngest DS and I went out to breakfast this morning for Mother's day. Hoping all of you enjoy your mother's day. My DH is back east helping to deal with my MIL's 'estate'. A sad mother's day for us. I'll be glad when he comes back tomorrow.

Off to teach restorative yoga today. I may be teaching from a chair. Depending on how things go. It's a great class. You feel all stretched out and like you've had a great nap. The guy I'm subbing for has subbed for me so much I feel like I owe him my first born. I"m happy I can return the favor.

I will be lurking for the next boom. I love the names. I'm hoping to get a bunch of quilts finished this year. I've divided the booms up into several quilts to finish: Two more Day of the Dead wall hangings to finish, A chili pepper table runner, Hawaian mantle piece , and of course the beautiful blue and white quilt. I also am going to make a quilt featuring a peacock inspired by a comment by Terriamn. I also have a long time project I"m going to rework based on a conversation I had with this amazing art quilter I met at a FLA airbnb we stayed at. Not to mention the steampunk angel my oldest artist son and I designed for my youngest son that hasn't been started. So there's lots for me to do

Dh and I are doing a trip in July up the coast to Portland and Washington in our kluged up 99 van. We are also headed on another visit the relatives trip back east (Omaha, Indiana, and NY) in August. We are going to my help my daughter and her significant other build a wall (that Mexico is not going to pay for) in their house. That trip is when I'll deliver my mom's quilt to her. We are hoping to travel to Belize while my husband still has an airline companion pass in December. So if my vertigo cooperates we will be doing a lot of traveling!

I will be following the new boom and thinking of all my great boom friends. Much appreciation to all of you and especially Janice.
I'm so sorry MJ Bill also suffers with vertigo some days are worse than others. There is a Dr in San Diego that helped him tremendously Dr Ian Purcell also known as the dizzy doc. https://www.ianpurcellmd.com/ we highly recommend him. 3 years ago when Bill was seeing him the man flew back from China early because of something he saw on Bill's MRI. It may be worth a look.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:34 PM

A couple of questions Sewbiz, were you using poly bat and what kind of spray did u use? I need to use 80/20 or 100% cotton batt or vert thin poly. I have used three different glues Elmer’s white spread thin did not work for me at all. Needle hated it, Elmer’s spray glue, 505 and a pink can sold at JoAnns all work well for me. Need to spray just the right amount which isn’t much when you use a cotton batting plus the cotton batting already sticks to the fabric. It is good to find out what your machine likes and dislikes. Also what size needle are you using

MJP had a couple brief sessions with vertigo after being on cruises then flying home. Can’t imagine more then a few days of that constant dizzy feeling.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by terriamn View Post
A couple of questions Sewbiz, were you using poly bat and what kind of spray did u use? I need to use 80/20 or 100% cotton batt or vert thin poly. I have used three different glues Elmer’s white spread thin did not work for me at all. Needle hated it, Elmer’s spray glue, 505 and a pink can sold at JoAnns all work well for me. Need to spray just the right amount which isn’t much when you use a cotton batting plus the cotton batting already sticks to the fabric. It is good to find out what your machine likes and dislikes. Also what size needle are you using
It's called Elmer's Craft Bond... maybe not good for quilts? The smaller Juki didn't want to sew it either and the glue was totally dry.

I love 80/20 batting because, as you said, it sticks so nicely. Only minimal pinning is needed. On the problem quilt I was using the 5 ounce poly batt I have been telling you about. Never had a problem with spray basting it before, so I think that new can of Elmer's Craft Bond might have been the culprit.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Here's my progress with fmq. Took a shady pic so the quilting would show up. The ribbon loops were fun....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]594439[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3656.jpg  
Old 05-14-2018, 12:59 PM

Gorgeous quilting sewbiz. You really seem to have picked up the new machine quickly.

thanks for the referral Billi. The doc I have now specializes in balance and vertigo but I’ll keep the referral handy in case I decide to switch.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:17 PM

Looks really good Sewbiz and I think you are right about the glue. The thin poly batting should work with the spray glue.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:54 PM

Sewbiz, your quilting looks great! I wouldn’t give up on spray basting, maybe try some different brands. Spray basting is sure a time saver. So sorry you had a frustrating day with quilting yesterday. .

Mjp, best of luck with the vertigo. I’ve had it a bit and do not like that dizzy feeling at all. Hope it’s getting better!
Old 05-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mjpEncinitas View Post
Gorgeous quilting sewbiz. You really seem to have picked up the new machine quickly.
Thank you. I've done a good bit on my smaller Juki so the learning curve is less. But on the 2010Q I relied on the feed dogs and walking foot to make the designs. Now I have to learn how to make smooth shapes without them. It's so much fun, tho. It's a lot like drawing.

Terri, I used the size 18 needles that came with my machine.

Last edited by sewbizgirl; 05-14-2018 at 03:01 PM.