Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
For giggles, continued, I saw it on... >

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

Old 10-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Banned

You really want some giggles, go look at the rest of his sewing stuff. Tension assemblies listed as addressographs.(What the heck is that?) Brass cap nuts and tire valve caps listed with brush caps. $25 for some rusty old common bobbins. I needed a laugh today.

Cari
Old 10-03-2014, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Ouch! I just learned something. Thanks Tammi I was wondering why a 66 bobbin was in a case (hadn't seen a class 15 with just a single hole like that).
That actually makes the deal even worse, since class 15 bobbins and cases are so plentiful.
LOL! Happy to help. I might even have a couple of 15 bobbins here that have no holes besides the one closest to the center. Are 66 bobbins that much more valuable? I have way more of those here than 15 bobbins.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:47 PM

The vintage ones may be slightly less common than class 15 bobbins but they're still making class 66 bobbins too. I have had trouble with new 66 bobbins being too narrow at the outer lip. They don't fit vintage bobbin winders well. The ones I tried were cheap Singer packaged ones from Walmart. Bobbins from somewhere like Sew-Classic would probably be better.
Rodney
Old 10-03-2014, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
The vintage ones may be slightly less common than class 15 bobbins but they're still making class 66 bobbins too. I have had trouble with new 66 bobbins being too narrow at the outer lip. They don't fit vintage bobbin winders well. The ones I tried were cheap Singer packaged ones from Walmart. Bobbins from somewhere like Sew-Classic would probably be better.
Rodney
I found my sanity improved once I stopped buying my supplies from WM or Fabricland (the Cdn equivalent of your Joann's) I suddenly miraculously became a better sewist and had a better behaved machine too.

Even the Canadian sewing machine parts supplier I use has several quality level listings for bobbins. I've always stuck with the "premium" or "Japanese made" bobbins and not had a problem. I've even told people I order parts for that I won't order the junk, it's not worth me having to troubleshoot it when it fails and then having to send things back and compensate them, etc.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:38 AM

I still find it sad and ironic that the Singer branded ones are such junk. I bought a vintage pack of Singer bobbins a while back and the difference in width between old and new was visible. You would think that the company that designed the bobbins would keep them the same size.
Rodney
Old 10-04-2014, 10:51 AM

I still find it sad and ironic that the Singer branded ones are such junk.
IMO - Singer had been "junk" for a long time. I think they may have improved some, but when I was a young adult and sewing for profit, (30 years ago) Singer was one brand to stay away from. Maybe their industrial machines were better, though I don't recall the two sewing factories I worked in having any Singer machines. The alterations places didn't like Singers, and those sewing from home didn't like Singer home machines either.

ISMACS says it best - when looking over their Singer decals, the last one they show is a 513

and the next item on the list

"then it all went horribly wrong . . ."
Old 10-04-2014, 11:33 AM

I hate to say it but ISMACS' cutoff is pretty close to right. The touch & sews were the beginning of the end. Complicated and they started using plastic gears, this coming from someone who likes them.
Rodney
Old 10-04-2014, 01:33 PM

Here's a screaming deal:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/fuo/4699428822.html
Rodney

EDIT: I just noticed the irons are backward.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:25 PM

You would think that the company that designed the bobbins would keep them the same size.
Technically, they're not the same company that designed the bobbins (I think it's Joe who can tell you more about that),... and even as the company who made them the most popular.... that Singer is long gone. They haven't been "that Singer" for a lot of years.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:30 AM

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1023233480 - "Comes with turning wheel but not peddle." and they still want $500 for it.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1023198554 - You want -what-? for just the cabinet? I struggle to sell these for $25...