Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting?  Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy! >

What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

What tools or products do you use from other hobbies for Quilting? Please share your ideas and I will make a list of them for us in my pages for all of us to enjoy!

Old 04-14-2011, 10:25 AM

I use a plastic cuticle stick from Walgreens to gently "press" open my seams before pressing with the iron. Works great on triangles on those tight corners.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie k
I use a large clip board that has a storage bin when opened. I put sandpaper on the top near the clip so I can work on my projects and they wont slip. Great for Applique' blocks
:lol: Where can we buy those clipboards? Thanks
Old 04-22-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by skjquiltnut
Originally Posted by lynnie k
I use a large clip board that has a storage bin when opened. I put sandpaper on the top near the clip so I can work on my projects and they wont slip. Great for Applique' blocks
:lol: Where can we buy those clipboards? Thanks
I've seen them at Wal Mart and at Staples and other Office Supply stores; you might want to check there.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:00 PM

I use a large empty wooden match box to store safety pins. I cut a slit in the top to deposit the pins like coins as I remove them while quilting. If I knock the box off of my sewing table, they don't spill everywhere. When I'm ready to pin something, it opens like a drawer.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by wilmak
a 6" ruler from the hardware store. It looks similar to the sewing one, but is steel and so much stronger.
I have 2 of these rulers. Years ago I needed them at a company I used to work at and my dad gave them to me and he even engraved my name on both of them that way if someone stole them, we could find them. I have used them for sewing a few times and they are stronger. :)
Old 04-23-2011, 03:28 AM

I use patterns from embroidery, stained glass and wood carving for applique.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:17 AM

Ok - I'm not understanding this hint -

"I use Dr. Scholls foot pads as a fabric guide,(thicker than the Q-Tools"

Could someone explain how, when, where you use it??? (i know, I know, it's probably something obvious but my brain isn't working today...)
Old 05-30-2011, 06:19 AM

Oh - how about colouring books for applique patterns?

I try to find the ones for younger kids (less lines & simpler) unless I am looking for something specific.

Also, stencils used for craft painting are good...
Old 05-30-2011, 04:11 PM

I also use the chalkboard chalk to mark quilting lines. Use Mr. Clean magic eraser (dry) to remove the chalk.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by marmalade
Ok - I'm not understanding this hint -

"I use Dr. Scholls foot pads as a fabric guide,(thicker than the Q-Tools"

Could someone explain how, when, where you use it??? (i know, I know, it's probably something obvious but my brain isn't working today...)
I'm thinking that they are using the sticky mole skin to use as a guide beside the presser foot. Others use a stack of sticky notes. Just something to run your fabric against to get the perfect 1/4 in. seam

FREE Quilting Newsletter