phrases that puzzle me

Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 AM

Not a saying but notice how folks are using errrr, ugh, duh, or hmmm every three or four words, drives me batty!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

I tend to unconsciously pick up phrases from people around me. I do use the floored one and occasionally the slayed one below here.

My mom says That just floors me!(shocked me) or That just slayed me!(so funny!) and the one I hadn't payed any attention to but she and I got to talking about it recently. She says must you go round Robin Hood barn to explain?(meandering in your explanation) An expression from her youth. She is 76.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:33 AM

This has been such a fun thread to read!!! My dad did crosswords all his life, I have done them since early teens. He would often comment on how glad he was that he didn't have to learn English as a second language!!!

My mom was a stay at home mom, but oh! was she strict on our grammar!!!!!!

Some of my pet peeves have been mentioned here already....how about adding, "prolly" (probably), or "long story short", and then the tale goes on and on forever. LOL

As a Canadian living in the US, I often get teased about different words, or the way I say them. My step-daughter teases me when I pronounce the "wh" in words like where or white. apparently, (I don't hear it), I say "aboot"...not "about"!!!

Sofa/couch? How about a chesterfield? That's all I ever knew it to be. :)

Soft drinks....by name or flavour. Coca cola, Pepsi, Root beer, orange, sprite, etc.

And yes, my spell check doesn't like some of my words either....like "colour" "neighbour".

How about "clisha" when someone sneezes? From my Irish background, I think.

And did you have Yorkshire pudding with your joint? and a butter tart for dessert?

I do love that there are so many things we can learn about (aboot?) other people. :)
Old 12-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

When my kids were in grade school in the early 80's they came home one day saying No Doy an early version of the No Duh. Used to drive me crazy!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

One of my biggest pet peeves is to hear a professional either in person or especially an announcer on TV mispronounce words. They should have their act together as it is their business to communicate accurately!!
I always want to correct them so badly!!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:50 AM

How bout down the road a piece as the crow flies. Wouldn't that freak out a foreigner. Had some friends that lived in New Iberia, La. (born east texans). They would say come see. Rhonda your mama sounds like mine. She also says that just slays me. She started out in Kansas. One of my son's friends moved to Minnesota or Wisconsin during high school & she was the most popular girl in school as everybody wanted to talk to the Texas girl. When my DH worked at the sheriffs dept many years ago, he went to Owego, NY.on a drug case. Those guys had a ball with the Texas boys & their southern accents. Everybody that came into the plub after work, the officers would call them over to talk to the Texas boys. DH learned real quick that ice tea in NY ain't the same as in Texas. It was quite an experience but he enjoyed it. My DGM use to say when you sneezed Gazoonhite Westavikindlelite. I still don't know what that means. I think its german. My ole southern GD would say scat.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

I remember Gazoonhite. I haven't heard it in years tho. My mom's grandparents are German.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:14 AM

Have you ever heard of this. See a white horse, lick your thumb & press into the center of your palm then slap palm for good luck. DGM again. She was also of german decent. Last name was Schwaller.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

gesundheit
ge-sund-heit

from German 'health' - said to wish good health to a person who has just sneezed

the word almost sounds like a sneeze

A smart aleck classmate (junior or senior high school) said "goes in tight" - I was embarrassed at the time

naughty boy
Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 AM

There's alway a pervert in the bunch. Nasty jr high boys.