Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters under the age of 40?? >

Quilters under the age of 40??

Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 10-09-2012, 09:25 AM

Well, I WAS under 40 back when this thread started... lol
Old 11-15-2012, 04:49 AM

I am just over the 40 mark so I will include myself in this pot. I am 42 but still feel like I am ten years younger. Lol. I have been quilting for 7 years and I too get the " oh my you quilt" remarks as if only older people quilt. I must say however when I do take quilt classes at my LQS the other ladies are clear over sixty and many are retired. Although I like when I see younger people in the classes I truly enjoy the much older crowd (no offense to anyone please) because I love to hear stories of their quilting experiences etc etc. I have always been drawn to people older than me as I was always drawn by their wisdom and life experiences.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns View Post
we were the only people in the room who weren't of retirement ago - DH made the comment that the craft is literally dying off.
I disagree. That is like saying that looking at those playing golf and saying the same thing. Many people over middle aged play golf--probably most are over 40. However, I think quilting has developed as an art and is more popular than ever before.

Just look at all the long arms that people are buying, the tools that we have that we didn't have even 20 years ago. It is a huge business and while local quilt shops may be closing, I don't think that the craft is actually dying out any more than any handicraft is.

Many personal crafts are losing out to the computer age and tv watching, but a lot of people are getting in quilting that used to sew clothing but don't really need to because of the availability of cheap clothing for purchase.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:11 AM

Started quilting in my 20's, sewed for a local country store for about 20 years, I'm still at it at 66.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:13 AM

Started quilting when I was 18, as a newlywed -- I'm still at it, 38+ years later, and can't imagine a life without quilting. Bless my husband for his support, too...he knows I'm a much happier woman for it.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:17 AM

Just turned 27!! I started when I was 26 and expecting our daughter, I made her a baby blanket to pass some time and fell in LOVE!! My husband is super supportive and I want to start my own at home long arm quilting business one day! I went to a quilt show here in Fargo, ND wow I did feel like I was the only one in my 20's haha...my friends laughed at me when I told them what I was doing and wanted to do...but now...they are all begging me to make them a quilt! haha
Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 AM

I am 40.
I don't think it is a dying art.
If the business aspect can be used a proxy to how well a field is doing, I would say quilting is doing a roaring business.
Just look at all the tools, gadgets and machines out there. People are spending money on them. It is amazing.
It is a huge industry.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:48 AM

My 23 yr od daugther is making Christmas quilts for her friends kids. She's not as heavy into it as I am but she does love doing it. She did her first one at age 16.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I disagree. That is like saying that looking at those playing golf and saying the same thing. Many people over middle aged play golf--probably most are over 40. However, I think quilting has developed as an art and is more popular than ever before.

Just look at all the long arms that people are buying, the tools that we have that we didn't have even 20 years ago. It is a huge business and while local quilt shops may be closing, I don't think that the craft is actually dying out any more than any handicraft is.

Many personal crafts are losing out to the computer age and tv watching, but a lot of people are getting in quilting that used to sew clothing but don't really need to because of the availability of cheap clothing for purchase.
It has been proven that it is on the rise again. And yes, there are lots of younger ones joining the addiction. What a way to go.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 AM

I'm 33 and I quilt, I got my mother into quilting.... My husband fully supports my quilting addiction, and my fabric problem lol....Most of the stuff I make is for him