Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >
  • Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

• Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by craftyone27
    Tough to believe people would be soo small minded - especially in this economy - you would think they would be happy to have the business man or woman!! Imagine a quilt store sending away Ricky Tims or Kaffe Fassett? ROFLMAO!! Silly people!! Seem to be lots of folks from Indiana on this board - hopefully someone close to you will be willing to sit down and help you out!
    Isn't there a place on here to do a member search? You can look for other quilters in your area that would be willing to help you out. I'd help if I were closer. I will offer any and all help I can from here. Just feel free to ask.
    Old 12-08-2010, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
    Maybe you could take some of your quilts with you into that shop and ask for some feed-back - that you want to improve your quilting and thought maybe you could take a class there that would help. Perhaps then they would take you seriously. Sad that it would come to that!!
    As I said before, why force yourself into a situation where you aren't wanted. They are the ones missing out. You shouldn't have to be put in this situation. This is my opinion. Take it how you like. I'm just saying, I've been turned down so many times by different guilds, LQSs, and even my local sewing machine store where I have my machine serviced. I'd take it somewhere else, but it's the closest and most convenient for someone who doesn't drive. They are happy to fix my machine, they just don't want me in their group. I've also heard of groups that stipulate in their rules: "NO MEN ALLOWED". What's up with that.
    Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 AM

Chris, what a bummer about your unfortunate encounters with these prejudices. (I'm wondering just how rich Ricky Tims is as I type this...) Don't give up. Keep going and learning and quilting!!!
    Old 12-08-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    Makes me think of that scene in Pretty Woman where the ladies in the Rodeo Drive shop wouldn't help her...she went back dressed to the nines and told them how stupid they were! Maybe a fabulous quilt needs to be taken in to that shop and say "See what I made! I was willing to buy the fabric here, but you were so rude to me that I will be spending all my quilting money elsewhere!"
    This is EXACTLY what I would do. But that's me.
    Old 12-08-2010, 01:07 PM

We have four male members of our local guild, all of whom are very highly regarded by all of us. Our guild has even sponsored a 'men-only' quilt show called "Men Of Cloth" and we had amazing results. Nobody ever thought we'd have so many men coming in to ask intelligent questions about quilting. All four of the men in our group have won numerous prizes for their work. The oldest man is 91 & he still does cross-stitch quilts.
    Old 12-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Chris, There is a bright side to your LQS rejection, you have now found so much more from this board and I'm sure this board has gained from your inclusion. I understand needing the one on one, tutorials are great, but if you have a question about a particular part, the tute doesn't answer you, you either have to play that part over and over until you get it or ask someone, and all you want to do is get on with your project.
    I am one of four girls, my parents were very intuitive, from a very early age we were taught that we could do anything, we were born and breed in the city but we could use a chain saw, manage rifles and shotguns, we all could drive cars by the age of 10 learning how to control a car through sand and mud, skin and gut rabbits, clean and fillet fish. I was the only one that took to motorcycles, and dad showed me quite a bit as he used to do Scrambles. This philosophy has been passed to my children, at aged 25 my daughter was the Australian Womens Motocarna Champion, she does a lot of her own mechanical repairs, and this is from a girl who struggles to find womens clothing small enought to fit her and works in IT. My son enjoys designing and making swim wear for his girlfriend, my only problem with this is that he takes over my sewing machine and room when he gets the sewing bug, can't wait for him to move out, will buy him a sewing machine as a house warming gift.
    Reading this post there is a lot of support from this board, I hope it has helped, if not to have solved the situation but to at least give you other avenues to persue.
    Good Luck, have a merry Christmas and a prosperous and happy New Year.
    Old 12-08-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
    Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
    thank you

I need to have a sit down side by side with people... I was injured several years ago. the meds I am forced to take (due to injury) have interfered with my ability to take written directions and make sense of them. sigh and to think I was a very smart man before my injury

Chris
    I understand your difficulty with the written directions Chris. Since my injury and fibro and all the meds I too, have the same problem. It is extra frustrating when before you were always the one others came to for help and solutions to problems and now I can't think my way out of a box sometimes. I'm still trying to understand how to put a dumb cuff on a dumb Christmas stocking. LOL.
    Your problem as it were is Stereotyping and small minds. When my oldest son was 8 he wanted to embroider (by hand) because he saw me doing it. (Realizing backin the early 70's it was not necessarily a "male" thing and being open minded, I got him a kit with lady bugs on it that said "Don't Bug Me." For years it hung in his room and then was put away for a long time. 2 years ago I found it and took it to him, BTW he is a neurosurgeon, and SEWS up people now !!! Shame on narrowminded people! :)
    Old 12-08-2010, 02:45 PM

Just my two cents... but that really stinks the way you have been treated. I don't have much in the way of advice to give. But then there is my two cents :)
    Old 12-08-2010, 03:55 PM
    Banned

I wonder that if a quilt guild restricts their membership and has non profit status they could be subject to loosing that status if they discriminate membership. Just a thought
    Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 PM

Hi Chris! How sad that this has been your experience. I too have sometimes found certain clerks in quilt stores to be, should I say, a bit "holier than though"? So unfortunate because I do not return to those stores.

I am also a knitter. I learned about 40 years ago but lost the skill. About 5 years ago a new yarn shop opened in my town of La Grange, Illinois and I decided to take a knitting class. What a great experience that was. There were two of us women and one man. Yes! One man. He was a delight. He and his wife were teachers and he watched his wife knit for years and then decided he wanted to try it. The great thing about him was that he taught himself to knit to the right needle and then back to the left needle without turning his work. Amazing!!! I have tried to do that and there is no way.

Just keep on quilting and hopeful your experiences will improve.

Yolanda