Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-07-2010, 06:30 AM

Isn't that called discrimination. You need to ask them if they have any of Ricky Tims books or John Flynn frames or Kaffe Fasset fabrics and see what they say about that!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by tinliz
Chris,
One of my favorite quilt shops is the Quilters Toy Box in Muncie. Now, I live too far away to shop there, but I am sure to stop at their booth at quilt shows. If that was one of your unsuccessful attempts for help, try again. Check hours as they are not open every day. Have you contacted the Guild in Muncie? I have been to several of their shows excellent quilts. They may know of someone who would teach you one on one. If you don’t mind driving a little, there is a guild in Decatur that has male members who are teachers. Just don’t give up, more and more males are bitten by the quilting bug every day.
Good Luck,
TInliz thanks

Tanya at muncie toybox was great sigh... she could not make a go at it anymore... would happily spend time with me. had to close up shop

:-( :-( :-( :-(
Old 12-07-2010, 06:41 AM

That is the way I feel when I walk into a motorcycle shop! Ignored!

My husband took up 'hooking rugs' during night shifts....he made me doing the purchasing because the shop staff tended to ignore him.

We all need to work on stereotyping!
Old 12-07-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by lillybeck
Chris I know you have the Hobby Lobby and the huge Joannes in Muncie have you tried them? I think there is a smaller shop on Walnut. Not sure if it is still there because it has been a few years since I was in that one. Try calling some of the churches and talking to them about it.
lilly yes there is a Joannes, and a huge hobbylobby.. at hobbylobby was treated like I was not worth the time of day!!!!! I guess the woman was having a bad day.

Joannes well I have not seen any class schedule anywhere in there.. the one I used to go to on the east coast had a board with a class schedule up... I do not like asking anymore (snide comments and all that) My wife is not the type of person to ask people she is really shy.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
thank you

I need to have a sit down side by side with people... I was injured several years ago. the meds I am forced to take (due to injury) have interfered with my ability to take written directions and make sense of them. sigh and to think I was a very smart man before my injury

Chris
I understand your difficulty with the written directions Chris. Since my injury and fibro and all the meds I too, have the same problem. It is extra frustrating when before you were always the one others came to for help and solutions to problems and now I can't think my way out of a box sometimes. I'm still trying to understand how to put a dumb cuff on a dumb Christmas stocking. LOL.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:55 AM

My son has been quilting since he was in 4th grade (he is a freshmen in high school now) but the LQS flock to see what he has sewn. A lot of time I felt like the shop workers didnt see me, but all of them encouraged him to continue to sew. He has made 3 quilts and numerous pillowcases as he is a 4H member so most of what he has made went to fair. He just doesnt have the time to sew like he did as he plays football, wrestles, and track during the school year. He just gave a presentation at his 4H club on the pillow that was State Fair alternate from our county this summer.
He was stopped in town nearby a couple years ago and asked if he was the boy that sewed and he was quite tickled with that. He used to say that is where he went to see the girls at quilt class. One of LQS sewing machine repair guy was quite taken by son and would suggest different quilts for my son to make, but the repair guy has taken a different job so my son doesnt get to see him.
I hope you find a LQS that will welcome you.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by jojo47
Chris, welcome to the board, first of all, and shame on those in the LQS for their treatment of you. Please don't give up on and we'd love to see pics when you get your projects done.
thanks I have made several quilts over the last six years of quilting... just not something I am proud of thus the need for a local person's help.. there was a local quilt shop here that the husband was involved in... it closed down my to my dismay.. she was a great help..
Old 12-07-2010, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
Chris, just sign up for a class , pay your fee in advance and show up. They never say women only allowed when you register, and I'd bet the other students would welcome you. And if the instructor wanted to ignor you, the quilters there wouldnn't!!
I agree. If they want to keep you out you could point out that excluding someone because of gender is illegal.

People don't seem to have a problem with men who are tailors or dress designers. I agree that not many men quilt but sewing is sewing. What's the difference?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:29 AM

Your problem is not just a man thing. I tried three times to sign up for classes in my town and all I get is, "We are not doing classes right now. Just call us every week or two and see if we are offering anything". They do not have a sign up sheet. Can your wife help you to understand written instructions. She sounds like a caring person if she would sit in on classes so the instructor would be comfortable.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmiw
Your problem is not just a man thing. I tried three times to sign up for classes in my town and all I get is, "We are not doing classes right now. Just call us every week or two and see if we are offering anything". They do not have a sign up sheet. Can your wife help you to understand written instructions. She sounds like a caring person if she would sit in on classes so the instructor would be comfortable.
she has a problem with written instructions too now.. I asked her to sit in on classes... she herself is a great crafter just not a quilter.. considers quilting classes to be boring!!! does not like to follow instructions and WOW what she can craft.. just not quilt sigh If I could get her to qult man could we go to town!!!!!! I bet we could win quilting shows.. SIGH not gonna happen.