Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-07-2010, 04:33 AM

Along this stereotype line...Back in the 70's when we lived in Michigan in a Detroit suburb all the buzz was about Rosie Grier doing needlepoint. He was a Lions football player and huge. They used to have him on the local TV talk shows with his beautiful needlwork. He said nobody messed with him about his hobby; used to do it on the airplane to relax him before games. Anybody remember him?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:41 AM

My DH is behind me right now on the machine sewing on his quilt. He used to hate it when I wanted to go fabric shopping but now he is right in there with me. When I took some of my quilts to enter in a quilt show, he had all of the ladies surrounding us spell bounded by his quilting jabber. They all seemed so interested in what he was saying. I had to practically drag him out of the place. I'm sorry you are having just a time. The ladies and gents on this board have been so encouraging to my DH that I'm sure you'll have any question answered that you want to ask. And most of the tutorials are so good that it's just like sitting down beside them. Don't give up. You will master many things before its over.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by grann of 6
Along this stereotype line...Back in the 70's when we lived in Michigan in a Detroit suburb all the buzz was about Rosie Grier doing needlepoint. He was a Lions football player and huge. They used to have him on the local TV talk shows with his beautiful needlwork. He said nobody messed with him about his hobby; used to do it on the airplane to relax him before games. Anybody remember him?
I remember !!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:54 AM

Hi
Just think you are opening the door for many male quilters. I remember when women were not thought capible physicians, men were "what kind of nurses", women open doors to police work, fire station, truckers etc. Stand up and be proud you are special. I would ask for the manager or whoever of the LQS and tell them what you told us. Also tell them that if they don't want your business you can always go somewhere else. Glad to have you with us. This is a great site. AND the tuts suggested are great. Ask away here and someone will always know the answer.
Good thoughts are good gifts to a good life.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:55 AM

sign up and pay for a class and then they may start taking you seriously. I worked in a quilt shop for many years, everyone comes in for free advise and doesn't always get it depending on who is working that day. picking out fabric is one thing, but teaching you a technique is another.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:56 AM

We have 4 local quilt shops here near Myrtle Beach, SC and I ALWAYS feel welcome when I go into either of them. I have taken classes at each of them and have even taught at one shop, so it's not all shops. The sales ladies here seem to want to know what you are making and help if they can. I have even been asked by other customers to help them select fabric. I always get a lift when I go. Hope you can find a shop that really wants to help quilters.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:04 AM

I also remember Rosie Grier, not as a football player, but the needlepoint huge guy. My late husband asked me to teach him knitting with big needles, He got it instantly and knit himself a scarf. I never burnt my bra to have an equal treatment but I let it know when I am not satisfied with service. I am French speaking and belong to an English speaking Guild, Some women translated my name to Martha, I said Sorry my parents called me Marthe. Never pass on something that bothers you!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:04 AM

Interesting. My brother-in-law is a quilter, quilting teacher and quilt photographer. The LQS likes his money just fine!!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
Hi guys, yes I am a male quilter, have any of you ever had this problem?? being a guy quilter in a woman dominated area has its draw backs. they kinda freaked out on me when I asked for help. I am a retired happily married man who just happens to love to quilt. SIGH then WHY do I get the feeling that when I go into a quilt shop unless I spend money there I am not wanted??? I asked for help (on a one on one basis) they could not be bothered to help I have been doing basic quilting for a number of years untill recently. Now I want to Improve my skills,

I even offered to have my wife sit in on the sessions. nope not intrested not for any price. SIGH I just want to quilt.

SOOOOOOOOO I am putting out a call here for any male quilters in my area that have advanced skill levels for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No No No I am not putting women down.

Yours in Quilting
Chris
Hey Chris, This sounds like a single woman walking into a car showroom and trying to buy a new car. Have you been able to locate a local quilt guild? Also check for a local American Sewing Guild in your area. We have a man and his wife in our local ASG and we don't give it a second thought. He is very knowledgeable and we often go to him for help. Check your local JoAnn's etc. They often know of such groups. Two of our local groups meet in a JoAnn's.

Go to the ASG.com on line and search for your state. Then check your area for a local chapter if they have one. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:18 AM

There has to be at least one quilt shop in your area who would love to have a new customer. Go into each shop and ask to speak to the owner, then explain your problem to that person and see if you can arrange to come to a class or get private lessons. Oh bring your wife when you go in and have her chime in to help assure the narrow minded that your not a stalker or something. Bring along a sample of your work and explain due to your injury you need to actually see what is being done. Wish you were closer as I would happily teach you what I know.
I've had gentlemen in my classes and am amazed at the different way that guys and gals see fabric.
We actually have a gentleman who is color blind and makes beautiful quilts. He comes in with a design, tells the shop owner the colors he wants in all the different areas and then she picks fabrics according to the colors he wants. He does amazing quilts and has had a one man show at the local gallery. Hang in there you will eventually find someone to help you.
Another idea might be to post a notice in a shop for a private tutor. Who knows someone may step up. When you meet for the first time have your wife along and have her make it clear that she supports your quilting. Give her an extra hug too for supporting your quest to learn more.