Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-07-2010, 07:38 AM

I often get ignored at some LQS stores, so I simply walk out and say loudly "Too bad, I was willing to buy so much from this store because I was told it offers good service. Guess I heard it all wrong. Maybe my fellow quilter meant the shop next town".
Please don't be discouraged - there are other stores and places that offer classes, if not, how good are you at organizing a workshop, perhaps at your church or library?
Old 12-07-2010, 07:43 AM

tinliz would love to go to Decatur it is a 3 hr trip one way over 212 miles... Wife would not go for it she does the driving
Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 AM

It totally SUCKS that you were not treated well in the LQS. When I ran my friend's quilt shop, there were 3 men that came in on occasion - all quilters. One would bring in projects for me to see! They were treated equally and treated like ALL customers should be treated - with respect!
I hope you can find a shop that is not so judgmental.
Some shops treat many of their customers (women as well as men) like they're "bothering" them - these shops won't last long in my opinion. Sorry - I kind of vented - but this angers me!!!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:53 AM

Get the teacher's permission to video for your personal use only at classes.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:54 AM

I have the same problem when I go to hardware/tool stores. Persevere. Talk the "lingo" and after the salespeople recover, they may just fall all over you. tee hee.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:00 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I'm so sorry that you have to experience this....I'm sure it is like when I walk into an auto parts store, or even worse, the local store that sells chainsaws. Because I'm relatively petite and appear to be somewhat of a girly-girl, they think I couldn't possibly know anything about anything mechanical.

However, it isn't just about gender. Sometimes it is just the occasional secret society of quilters clique that is present in some quilt shops. And until they get to recognize you, through purchases or participating in classes, they are not really very friendly or helpful. Even to us girls.

That being said....take a class and they will learn that you are a serious quilter, and not just trolling for women who can sew (LOL). You can also go to the User List on this page and do a search by location. There are over 75 quilters in Indiana, some of them men.

However, as one of the other responders said earlier, please ask here. You will get all sorts of help!

Hang in there! We're glad you're here!
Old 12-07-2010, 08:03 AM

So sorry you have had this experience. Husband's uncle worked his way through the service making money on the side altering the other fellows clothing. Paid for a sewing machine that way and sewed until he died in his 90s. I just bought my grandson a little sewing machine (he is 12) because he was found with a paperclip and some string trying to mend a hole in a favorite shirt. Carry on and bless you.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
Originally Posted by lillybeck
Chris I know you have the Hobby Lobby and the huge Joannes in Muncie have you tried them? I think there is a smaller shop on Walnut. Not sure if it is still there because it has been a few years since I was in that one. Try calling some of the churches and talking to them about it.
lilly yes there is a Joannes, and a huge hobbylobby.. at hobbylobby was treated like I was not worth the time of day!!!!! I guess the woman was having a bad day.

Joannes well I have not seen any class schedule anywhere in there.. the one I used to go to on the east coast had a board with a class schedule up... I do not like asking anymore (snide comments and all that) My wife is not the type of person to ask people she is really shy.
Call and ask them if they have classes and just sign up over the phone.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:11 AM

I hope the attitudes at the stores don't make you stop quilting. Maybe if you keep trying, take quilting classes they will understand that this is your thing, not your wife's. Maybe once they get to know you better it'll be easier and you'll become "just" one of the quilters.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by raedar63
Although it could happen I really don't think sereal killers hang out at the local quilt shops girls ROFL.
I just had the image of Jason Voorhees and Freddy Kruger piecing together quilt blocks by hand. lol.
LOL Now that would be a pictorial quilt for someone to make,