Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-06-2010, 09:11 AM

My dh has type 2 diabetes. He enjoys getting pedicures. The doctors told him he had to take good care of his feet. Well, I don't wanna touch those ugly feet!

I finally talked him in to getting a pedicure. Now mind you, my husband is 6' tall, a good 230 pounds and a long haul truck driver. But, he looks like Ozzy Osbourne! Yes, he even paints his toenails and fingernails black!

Anyways, we went to a shop and the women working there got bug eyed quick! They were nice and friendly, but you know they were making comments in their language! I often wonder what was said! LOL

This was like 3 years ago. When we go to get pedicures now, there are signs on the doors that say "gentlemen welcomed".

Don't give up! Not all quilters are old, gray haired ladies! Some of us are young enough to accept the differnces in people and would love to learn what you have to offer in a class room setting. I bet you have a lot to say that would be welcomed to many women.

Keep smiling and keep going!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:19 AM

There are lots of quilting videos on U-tube also that can help you in the meantime until you find someone to help in person.

welcome to the club.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:29 AM

Hate to hear that, but have had it done to me in different venus. You might point it out to the owner, nicely, they may not realize it's happening ! Can always ask if know of someone that will give private lessons, or a Guild where you would be welcome, or has other male members. Course can hang out here :)
Old 12-06-2010, 09:45 AM

You might also ask if they have ever heard of discrimination laws!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:45 AM

I understand completely. I own a quiltshop and when someone calls that wants info on the shop, having a man answer freeks them out. I've had woman say, can I speak to a woman.

I may not be a quilter, my late wife was, but I can pick fabric out with the best of them.

Lets face it, we're a minority in this business, but I've seen some very good work done by men.

Men are always welcome in my shop, we even have what we call the husband chair for them to sit in.

Lanny
Old 12-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

My DH is not a quilter but he is my color coordinator and has picked up quite a bit of knowledge. He loves to go to the LQS and is generally well received. I'm not sure what he would do if some bitty were to disrespect him.

Sorry that has happened to you. Not sure if this will help, but you will find tons of help from us on the QB.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

luckily our local guild has a number of men members and so does a little local sewing/quilting group i used to be able to go to. some of the 'stereo-typing is so STUPID! if those...(know-it-alls) knew anything they would know that WOMEN are the (new to the world of textiles) people...if you look at history...for centuries MEN ruled the textile world...and in lots of ways still do...men were the taylors, designers, cobblers...and still ... have they not heard of KAFFE ?
women are the ones who should be so jealous of this fabulous craft that the men in the world are willing to share with us :mrgreen:
i have 2 sons and a nephew who are quilters...they are so very creative...push me way out of my comfort zone and are the greatest at putting together collections.
My hubby experienced something along the lines of your experience. at a local shop, the store owner was so rude and made him feel like she had no interest in his money...he went to a smaller (and closer) shop where they treat him like he's KING! don't give up because of one shop that is so ignorant they don't even know how much money they are turning away. there are lots of other shops out there willing to help anyone if they ask...regardless of gender or age (and yes, it's not just men who are treated like crap at quilt shops...my nephew's girlfriend a few years ago (was 17 at the time) was almost chased out of a shop (the one my hubby will not go to anymore)...she was treated like she had no business being there, and her questions were responded to so rudely that she left, and called me crying...now she had to drive an extra 40 miles to get what she needed...
kind of makes you wonder how they stay in business
Old 12-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

oops...almost posted it twice ;)
Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 AM

Chris, Check out the Indiana Modern Quilt Guild: http://indymqg.ning.com

Let them know Yolanda from the Orange County Modern Quilt Guild sent you - I am sure you will learn a lot and have a lot of fun with this group :-)

And you always have us here on the Board to virtually help.

Originally Posted by eaglebeak1960
Hi guys, yes I am a male quilter, have any of you ever had this problem?? being a guy quilter in a woman dominated area has its draw backs. they kinda freaked out on me when I asked for help. I am a retired happily married man who just happens to love to quilt. SIGH then WHY do I get the feeling that when I go into a quilt shop unless I spend money there I am not wanted??? I asked for help (on a one on one basis) they could not be bothered to help I have been doing basic quilting for a number of years untill recently. Now I want to Improve my skills,

I even offered to have my wife sit in on the sessions. nope not intrested not for any price. SIGH I just want to quilt.

SOOOOOOOOO I am putting out a call here for any male quilters in my area that have advanced skill levels for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No No No I am not putting women down.

Yours in Quilting
Chris
Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by raedar63
Although it could happen I really don't think sereal killers hang out at the local quilt shops girls ROFL.
I just had the image of Jason Voorhees and Freddy Kruger piecing together quilt blocks by hand. lol.
OMG ROFLOL

I needed that!!!

I get wierd looks except at the local JoAnnes... I want to thank all of you for the messages.. sometimes it just gets hard to take.. I am a friendly person...