Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-06-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
My DH is not a quilter but he is my color coordinator and has picked up quite a bit of knowledge. He loves to go to the LQS and is generally well received. I'm not sure what he would do if some bitty were to disrespect him.

Sorry that has happened to you. Not sure if this will help, but you will find tons of help from us on the QB.
my wife hates to quit... but will be my color coordinator/fabric coordinator she says I have lousy matching skills.... she is a great crafter just not a quilt person...
Old 12-06-2010, 10:13 AM

I so wish we lived closer, as I'd be tickled pink to share with you what I know and love to do, which is quilting. It would not be a problem what gender, or color,how young or old you are i just love to quilt and share what I know. Maybe even learn together some new things, how great would that be!!? I do hope you can find an open minded persone to share and learn with.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by leaha
I so wish we lived closer, as I'd be tickled pink to share with you what I know and love to do, which is quilting. It would not be a problem what gender, or color,how young or old you are i just love to quilt and share what I know. Maybe even learn together some new things, how great would that be!!? I do hope you can find an open minded persone to share and learn with.
Thank you Leaha... open mindedness is greatly appreciated
Old 12-06-2010, 10:23 AM

Have you tried watching tutorials on youtube? Maybe if you needed help on something in particular, somebody here on the board would be willing to make a video tutorial for you. In fact, I've been wishing someone would do that anyhow!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:32 AM

True I do watch the videos

Missouri quilt shop company Vids are great... I have learned for em...

the problems I am having just need a one on one hands on to solve...
Old 12-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Hi Chris I am a piecer and a longarmer and I also have injuries and meds. Mine via morphine pump. I sure do know all about the not wanted part. even got a taste of it the last quilt show I atteneded. We will get better as soon as more men start showing thier works of art. yes art. Quilting is a form of folkart. Some have also turned it in to highy prized displays of fabric arts. I dont know anyone who is close by you but I will defiately hold my ear to a telephone or eyes to a computer to help you. Just let me know. Welcome to the board.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:45 AM

thank you stew
Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 AM

The quilt stores around here love it when my husband goes in with me. He is a "pusher"! as in "Look! isn't this the sort of yellow batik you were looking for?" etc.

He isn't himself a quilter, but he was forced by his loving wife to help her figure out what was wrong with a section of an art quilt, or which color would go best with...., etc., and now he is quick and extremely insightful with his opinions.

OK, he's not a quilter, but the gals at our local store could be caught smiling at him as he milled about. Send anoumously (...opphs "non-spellers unite!") copies of all these responses to them. Maybe they'll wake up and quit discriminating.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

At one of my LQS they have a male teacher who is a very popular male quilter. His BOM's and classes are well attended... I hope that you find a niche in your area soon :D:D:D
Old 12-06-2010, 11:12 AM

So sorry this is happening to you. I think it is great when a man works on things that are usully considered in a woman's world. My dad used to cross stitch and he did a much better job than I did. When I was in high school, a 100 years ago, I wanted to take Shop, but that was the "boys world". But that didn't stop me from building a lot of things. So you just keep hanging in there and I would go back to the LQS and tell them, I am serious about taking this class, this is discrimination, so when does the class start!!!!!