Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone ever found a comfortable bra? >

Has anyone ever found a comfortable bra?

Has anyone ever found a comfortable bra?

Old 05-30-2011, 05:20 AM

you are joking! NO, if it isn't the wires its the straps! or pinching somewhere else. I tried those exercise bras(?) I think thats what they are called, I'd rather just go without one. I think tryoing making one just might be the thing, awww, maybe.....
Old 05-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Bev

When I was a teen some girls used to call their bras ... "over the shoulder boulder holders." And that's what they feel like to me.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:01 AM

Bras are highly overrated! LOL
(BTW, I'm just kidding......) :oops: :mrgreen:
Old 05-30-2011, 10:17 AM

Great! I thought I was the only woman in the world who hates them, I wear one in summer or when I am going somewhere. Can`t wait to get the bloomin thing off when I get home. Here in the u.k. at the moment it is cold, so I wear a blouse and sweatshirt so no need to wear a bra!! :D
Old 05-30-2011, 10:57 AM
Bev

Originally Posted by ashlett
Great! I thought I was the only woman in the world who hates them, I wear one in summer or when I am going somewhere. Can`t wait to get the bloomin thing off when I get home. Here in the u.k. at the moment it is cold, so I wear a blouse and sweatshirt so no need to wear a bra!! :D
Lucky you! I live in a mostly HOT climate. Not a chance of going out without a bra, everyone would immediately know. Since I am no longer in the age group (or anywhere near it) that can casually pull a t-shirt on without thought of a bra, I live in misery much of the time. Unless, as I've said before, I'm home alone. Even my bathing suits have to have underwire! UGH!!

8-)
Old 05-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Harmony
No. Doesn't exist, like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. It's the first thing that comes off when I get home, just before my shoes. Too much information?
huh...I'm getting older...think I would take the shoes off first, just in case I couldn't find them...
Old 05-30-2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S
I had serious issues for decades finding a bra that was comfortable. I could forget wearinging anything from Victorias Secret , as they only are useful as decoration. I can not tell you all the money spent in hoping each time I had found the right one. Finally one day I took a chance at Kohls on an Olga bra ( on sale ) . The tag that got my attention was one that said "most comfotable bra"... I thought what the heck I have nothng to loose in trying one more since nothing I had was satisifactory. I had a drawer full of failed trials.... It was LIFE Changing!!!! I will tell you it is underwire ... no molded cups....but I will tesify that underwire has never ever felt this good and now I hoard this bra ... as I fear someday it could become discontinued. It is soo comfortable and gives THE best support of any bra I have ever worn. One feature is the straps actually adjust to were I need them to be , since I am short( or they only make bras for taller people) .They wear well too , just don't put in the dryer. Give it a shot .. I have been were are.. wondering will I ever .. ever find the one!

ANd OH .. I did realize I was wearing the wrong size , I needed a bigger cup and smaller band size , that really soved the riding up issue!
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/inti...estsellers/PRD~123628/Olgas+Signature+Support+FullFigure+Underwire+Bra++ 35040.jsp

They do have it in the stores in more sizes , but the Olga style number is 35040
I just found this bra, it is great!! One problem I have had is straps falling off my shoulders, and I don't have narrow shoulders, maybe sloping though. This bra, and straps fit right!!
Old 05-30-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
Oh..My...GOODNESS!!!! DogHouseMom - I am laughing so hard!!! ROTFLMBO!!!!!!!! I hear ya girl!
Me too!! I couldn't finish, I was laughing so hard I was crying, couldn't see throught the tears.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:52 PM

What a great laugh...not at anyone, just that you all echo what I've been through at various times too!!

As we are all members of a quilting group then most of you have a sewing machine...??? why not make your own bra??

Firstly you will need some power net/lace/various elastics/hooks/eyes/etc best way is to check your current bra to give you an idea of what you will need, but remember you only need small quantities to make one bra, but what I do is to make 4-6 at one time because it's just as quick to make several as it is to make one. Having said that I would recommend a single bra first up and once you have it fitting correctly then do the production line thing!!

If you have a comfy bra (or at least one which you have taken note of where the pattern might need adjusting) take the time to sit down and unpick one side of the bra...to use as a pattern. The intact side is a good reference while sewing. Get a sharpie and mark the grain line on each piece and cut accordingly because this does help with the fit.

Since I've lost weight I've gone back to an old time favourite that I used to wear many years ago and it's just perfect...in fact in the next week or two I hope to find time to make several because the current batch are a bit passed their use-by date.

This favourite is/was a Hestia sports bra but looks nothing like a sports bra since I've changed it to suit my needs. I don't hesitate to buy some expensive bridal type lace for the cups because you only need such a small amount and as the lace is quite wide you will get a couple of bras out of the piece.

Because I like to wear coloured bras, which the manufacturers only make in teeny tiny sizes, I bought some polyester fabric dye and will make several bras in white before dyeing them. It's possible to dye the bits 'n pieces before sewing but then you need to make sure the thread is the right colour, so now I choose to dye a finished bra. In the past I've found it nearly impossible to get 'all' the fabrics and elastics etc in a chosen colour, so dyeing is the easiest option because everything is available in white.

If you have old bras, or can scavenge some from friends or the local op shop, you can use the hooks/eyes, strap rings, etc etc if they are still in good condition...which I would probably recommend until you get your bra fitting perfectly...then lash out and buy all new elastics etc.

I can honestly say my bras only cost a couple of $$$'s each, even using brand new bits 'n pieces all of which are available online from several suppliers. Some time ago I found a lightweight interlock which I like to line the cups with, as it feels cooler in summer as well as giving additional support in the cups.

You don't need a super dooper sewing machine, as long as it does zig zag that's really all you need. One word of warning, the first bra will seem fiddly and very slow, but as with anything the more you make the quicker they become and once you have the pattern adjusted to suit 'your' body all the guesswork is a thing of the past.

Have fun....try it!!

Bronwyn

:lol:
Old 05-31-2011, 03:35 PM

I just found a class on making bras for yourself, one in Columbus Georgia and one in Tampa Florida. Think I'm going to splurge and see what happens.

Saw this on the 30 May newsletter I think.

delma