Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country. >

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:31 PM

ahh redkimba, sorry to disappoint you, and we dont all wear wellies (wellington boots), we dont say 'soft day thank god', we say, 'crap, its raining again!! we dont have cabbage & potatoes for every meal, & we dont all drink guinness!! And we're not all bible-bashing catholics (anymore!).
Old 06-29-2010, 12:32 PM

but it is funny to read all these posts!!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by deirdre ann
ahh redkimba, sorry to disappoint you, and we dont all wear wellies (wellington boots), we dont say 'soft day thank god', we say, 'crap, its raining again!! we dont have cabbage & potatoes for every meal, & we dont all drink guinness!! And we're not all bible-bashing catholics (anymore!).
I thought Wellington Boots were a US thing. My daddy wears them.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Horsestitcher
Originally Posted by JAGSD
South Dakota is Wonderful! About 4 years ago we took our first vacation to Orlando Florida. While there we got to visiting with some folks when they found out we were from SD they asked us how we survived being attacked by indians, and riding horses everywhere. When they found out we actually have running water, and are neighbors with many wonderful Native American Indians they were astonished. So I guess that would be my comment South Dakota is as updated as the next, and yes there are 4 Presidents faces carved on a mountain named Mount Rushmore, and Chief Crazy Horse being carved now. No, we don't have gun shoot outs, (well unless it's at Deadwoods July 4th celebration, some still ride horses ( I have 2), and there are many family ranches. South Dakota a wonderful place to live and visit.
I have friends who live in S.D. but are "winter Texans". They actually say yah, youbetcha, uff-duh, just like Minnesotans. Love 'em.
Ok, wait, I have to jump in here!! :lol: :lol: Minnesotans DO NOT talk like that!! :lol: :lol:
Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 PM

Not all Catholics bash the Bible....although we do study and revere it.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:22 PM

Proud to be a Tarheel. NC is the variety vacationland. Y'all come. I love this state. I wasn't born here, but I've lived here about a total of 20 years, but not consecetively. I've lived several other states and was stationed in Europe for a spell....when one heard I was a Tarheel.....oh the laughter. But, whether by birth or by adoption, North Carolina is my option! Home of the ACC, a bzillion colleges and universities (Go Heels!) but alas, our textiles and furniture factories and farms have disappeared. I love this good ole North State. Blessings, Ruth

Originally Posted by Kimcatlou
I am a "tar heel" from North Carolina. Why is it that so many people don't know the difference between NORTH Carolina and SOUTH Carolina?
Of course North Carolina is superior to South Carolina. (LOL) (My husband is from South Carolina and we met in college in South Carolina!)
North Carolina has much to offer--beautiful mountains, thriving piedmont, and gorgeous beaches!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie
In Arkansas:

1. We are not all hillbillies
2. We do not all talk slow
3. We are not all barefoot
4. We do not marry our siblings or first cousins
5. We do not eat roadkill or possums
Fun Fact: In California it is LEGAL to marry your first cousin. (Yikes!) Found that out when reading the fine print on our marriage liscense application in 2008.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
I thought Wellington Boots were a US thing. My daddy wears them.
nah, we usually wear them on the farm, easy to clean & keeps your feet dry! Mine are bright yellow & my friend has pink flowery ones, with a matching brolly!! really funny looking!!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Margie
Not all Catholics bash the Bible....although we do study and revere it.
oh I know that, Margie. But it was taken to the extreme here, and the people who did it most were the people with a lot to hide. I respect every religion, its lovely to have faith, but I will not practice my religion in the forseeabe future.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:33 AM

Well, I was carried away, but that is how I feel in the earlier post, but.....We who live in the south usually speak more slowly than most folks......it does not mean we are slack in our thinking. SO, not necessarily North Carolina, but the southeastern USA might have lazy L's, and breathe into our speaking, but Charlie, I'm here to tell ya, our brains are in full gear and loaded!

Bless your heart!
Ruth