Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country. >

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:30 PM

Whatever is "RedNeck" ? I don't think I am a "RedNeck". But whatever, I enjoy reading about the "RedNeck". Let me hear more.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:06 AM
Power Poster

I searched all 10 pages and didn't see Ohio.
Since I'm a transplant I can tell you about Columbus.
We are not all Buckeye fans, although most of us are.
It's not a college town anymore. Yes, Ohio State is huge but Columbus is also the capital and largest city in Ohio.
All in all a very nice city, something for everyone (except water boo hoo) I miss the lakes, rivers, and ocean!
Old 11-27-2017, 03:26 PM

Kansas. we really aren't flat. Kansas City Royals are from Missouri, not KS. We don't ride horses or tractors to town and we don't dress like "Little House on the Prairie." Well, usually.[ATTACH=CONFIG]584433[/ATTACH] Iris made our garb. Some of it was on vintage machines.
Attached Thumbnails iris-leon-pf-haysville-b.jpg  
Old 11-28-2017, 09:14 AM

Arizona is Hot from middle of May until the middle of November. There is some rattle snakes and scorpions, and some cowboys. I don't really like the dessert but from December thru April it is a beautiful state.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
Oregon -- it rains all the time. Not true! the coast gets rain (Astoria area gets 53" or so a year). Central Oregon (Bend area) gets - what - 2" a month in the winter -- for about 3 months. Other areas can get even less!

Another: We don't want Californians here....not true!!! We LIKE Californians.....so long as they don't move here and try to change our ways!
Another Oregon assumption- We do not all act like those people on the show “Portlandia”. Not all Oregonians wear flannel and denim, some of us wear flip flops and sweats. If you see a person in boots, shorts, and a parka, they are not mental, just Oregonians dressing for the weather. If you see someone in Oregon carrying an umbrella, they are the tourists. In Oregon, you see folks from everywhere else, but not many Oregonians anywhere else. We like it here. If you want to find out just exactly what a “steely eye glare” feels like, let an Oregonian see you drop trash on the ground...you will only do it once.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by dsj View Post
this was just on the news this week that Tennessee is the leading state in the U.S. for volunteering. So that stands true for Tennessee the Volunteer state, and we do have hillbilly's that live here, there are still backwoods people around but the southern hospitality is here in Tennessee.
I spent just under two years in Tennessee and I can vouch for the hillbillies, (good hearted, salt of the earth types) and have my own Tennessee volunteer story. One day a group of neighbors and I were all outside enjoying a BBQ, and I casually mentioned having to wait a couple days to put my car in the shop to get it tuned up. The next morning, at a little after eight, I awake to men’s voices outside my bedroom window. I peeked though the curtains to see three of the neighbor men, under the hood of my car. I grabbed my brush (I wake up with crazy hair) and my bathrobe, made coffee, and went out to see what they were doing. I will quote the answer. “Weren’t doin’ nuthin’ wrong, missy, just can’t see y’all wasting money when we could do the fix fer free.” Some of the most wonderful people I met on my travels, were in Tennessee.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:10 PM

All of Kansas is not flat--only a small part; there are trees in KS (ok, mostly the western part has trees in along the streams); we have no accent!; not everyone farms--although KS wheat farmers supply an enormous percentage of the wheat every year; the Civil War actually started here in 1854 with the Border Wars resulting in Bleeding Kansas and the Burnt Chimney area of western Mo.;
Old 11-28-2017, 09:38 PM
Power Poster

Florida is not one long stretch of beach with Mickey Mouse on it, eating oranges.
As Bills BonBon said, we are not just Snowbirds and old ppl, although at different
times of the year, you can find plenty in different parts of the state.
I guess we do have some underconfident ppl working for the state, bc they are starting
to plant palm tree all up and down the interstate for those just coming in and thinking
"This place looks like everywhere else!"
(It does get hot as blue-blazes here, so I call it 'Flor-heat-a' )
Old 11-29-2017, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieAnne View Post
In Wisconsin, we do not All drink beer!!!!!!!! I hear so much about us being drinkers, but are laws are pretty strict here!
If you want beer swilling folks by the thousands, head For Portland, Oregon. More microbreweries there than anywhere else on Earth.