Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made? >

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

What's the Most Unusual Item You've Ever Made?

Old 05-27-2011, 06:46 PM

I am not a weird sewer I guess, but my Uncle, who was a tack man (horse stuff) made Chaps for John Wayne - that was back in the 70s. I always thought that was just too cool.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:02 AM

I made a belt for a coworker. Joey is confined to a wheelchair and used a rope to keep his legs from flopping around when zipping around the mill in his chair. I thought I could do better for him. I used some denim, homespun plaid and velcro to make it look masculine.
After a few adjustments it worked great.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:05 AM

To make a long story short, i took a large box and made a night stand out of it, w/ cigs, & matches and ashtray ,lamp and long-johns hanging out the draw. the lampshade went on the top of head , it was so cute everyone wanted one the next halloween
Old 05-30-2011, 12:07 AM

I have really enjoyed reading all of these.

As a kindergarten/preK teacher, I made many weird things including roasted turkeys out of paper grocery bags (Thanksgiving plays), yarn holders for birds to get yarn for their nests in the spring, teepees, collapseable puppet theaters from pvc pipe, etc.

I also made leg extensions from pvc pipes and canvas that attached to the lawn chairs my husband and I took to the beach. This was before the camp chairs became so popular and available. My version was light weight and very easy to carry and assemble. We got lots of comments on them at the beach.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dottie Bug
To make a long story short, i took a large box and made a night stand out of it, w/ cigs, & matches and ashtray ,lamp and long-johns hanging out the draw. the lampshade went on the top of head , it was so cute everyone wanted one the next halloween, Sorry I had to leave in a hurry., We called it a ONE NIGHT STAND
Old 06-03-2011, 04:54 AM

I made a sheep costume for a young horse to be in a coustume class at a horse show. My daughter was dressed as Little Bo Peep.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Martha Hamman
I made a sheep costume for a young horse to be in a coustume class at a horse show. My daughter was dressed as Little Bo Peep.
Oh cute!
Do you have pics to show us? Thanks!!
Old 06-03-2011, 06:33 AM

I know I already answered, but I just remembered.
Our Basenji Club of America had their national show,, and part of that is always the costume contest
So I made my dog, what I called"The Most Expensve Costume Ever Made"
All it was, was some of the ribbons she had won over the years, each one representing the money spent to attend that particular show. (that includes the travel and hotel to be there)She won the contest
Attached Thumbnails attachment-205997.jpe  
Old 06-19-2011, 05:32 AM

I'm sure I've forgotten some of the unusual things I've made over the years...
In an art class, my older sister learned a process for making a rug, using yarn (plus yarn needle) and burlap. At the time I was making all my own purses, so I took the rug idea and made a multi-colored, "shag rug" purse. Of course this was early 70's.
I once made a three-cornered hat for my cat.
As a teenager, when I was finally allowed to have a cat, I had to keep the litter box in my bedroom. I kept it in the "knee hole" under a desk. I would occasionally create a sort of screen to hide and private-ize the area. This was usually white cardboard that I might decorate using markers; sometimes I'd make it look like a house and cut windows in it. The strangest screen was a beaded curtain (after I had found a discarded one).
Mom had a bunch of plastic thread spools. I made a chess set out of them, using various papers and sewing trims. The queens even had jewelry.
The most unusual costume I've made would have been the Industrial Battery Charger, complete with power cables. It won a prize at work (where they manufactured, you guessed it, Industrial Battery Chargers).
Over the years, the oddities have become much more ordinary, like covers for my camera dock and Foodsaver machine.
Most recently, Mom's Christmas stocking, which commemorated her broken foot. Her cast was purple (see attached).
Didn't mean to hijack this thread!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-213701.jpe  
Old 06-19-2011, 05:37 AM

A sling to hold up a horse that had a broken leg