Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:51 PM

gail-- it's good to hear from you!
Old 09-03-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by mim
I think I sort of blew it tonite at dinner -- There was a great sale at one of the major grocery stores -- lobster at $2.00 off a pound. DH and I haven't had any all summer. And this is sweet corn season.

So boiled lobster in melted butter with 2 ears of frest corn -- with lots of butter and salt (naturally). The funny thing is that I didn't know how to cook it !!! I had to go on the internet. LOL

We have 2 lobsters left so I am looking up receipes -- that hopefully won't be floating in butter. I guess I won't be losing any this week. But it was a treat -- and I only ate one -- not 2

So I think of it as that 1 slice of bacon treat.

Mim

Living on the shore in Maine has local treats -- like so many other parts of the country.
You didn't eat too much, especially if the lobsters were shedders. Not much meat in them. A lot of water. My DH and DD are lobsterfishermen and our boat price is $2.75 per pd. The hard lobster price went down to the same as shedder price. So we will be eating a few hard ones. The middle man will sell the hard lobster for a lot more, but dropped the price to the boats. Lobster in butter, lobster newburg, lobster alfredo, lobster rolls, lobster stew. Oh, so good but full of butter, milk, mayo. Enjoy your lobster it's a treat and you support a local fisherman. Thanks for eating lobster.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by quilthappygail
Well it's almost Sunday and this is the first chance I've had to check in.
Just caught up on all the posts and you are a chatty bunch. I love it. Xylie I'm up for a good challenge may be just what I need.
Snacks that I like are fresh fruit of all kinds in small portions of course and celery with peanut butter, cheese, nuts, popcorn and dark chocolate
I also like cucumbers in a sour cream dressing made with rice wine salt and pepper.
Love the pics of the four legged people, they are so adorable. Our Jasper is a Sheltie and a handsome boy. I don't have any pics to post right now but I need to get some loaded into the computer so I can show you what a ham he is.
All that are in the storm area be safe and keep to the high ground.
My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Night
Gail
I am in control and losing.
Great,Ya we haven't had a challenge in 2 months now.It's time we did one!Summer is over and it's time we had one.Holidays are around the corner,we want to be well ahead of the curve and looking good for all those parties coming our way!We want to look damn good in your little black dress this yr! So good luck,I need all the help I can muster this month!So a challenge I know will get me back on course. Oh,all this talk about lobster!now I want some! Dang it!!!!!!!No can do!!!!!!I'll have it on my next steak night!Ya,that'l work.Now I DO have to get 20 pounds off now!!!!!!!!!!!Nothing like motivation? OHHHH I can taste it now,YUM!!!!!!Salivating just thinking about it!You guys are mean!
Old 09-03-2011, 11:30 PM

I'll do the 5 pd challenge. Tomorrow if weather permits we are going to the Bluehill fair. My DH says he wants fair food you know what that means. I will have to be on my best behavior the rest of the wk. My DD eats her lobster plain, it is really good for you if you eat it that way. I cannot believe the heat of 113. I was actually cold today. Our temp tonight will be 45-60.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:47 PM

i grew up in new england and have had lobster all my life. it's sooo wonderful! i'm one of those people who eats it plain, too. i have trouble with butter, and why bother with margarine? and you are right it's not bad for you that way, and you don't have to eat plain rice cakes for the next week as penance! if you have to have something on it, try a little sprinkle of lemon juice. there is a liquid no calorie artificial "butter" that actually isn't horrible. learning to eat butter drenched foods like potatoes, shrimp scampi, lobster and so many others with butter substitute or no butter will cut out alot of unneccesary extra fats and let you eat and still enjoy the rich foods. lobster newberg can be made with soy cream, or even a non-dairy creamer. be inventive and creative with your cooking and try substituting where you can and it makes sense. i make corn chowder with soy milk and my family has no idea, except the time i used the vanilla soy milk by mistake. that was memorable to say the least! i even do quiche lorraine without dairy and with fake bacon and it still tastes great. do try stuff. experiment. just be sure you're not swapping sugar for fat. no benefit in that!!
Old 09-04-2011, 02:30 AM

Cute doggies!

I'm in for the 5 lb challenge, my goal is to get under 200 so that would put me really close. I didn't go walking yesterday unless you count grocery shopping, so I need to try to get in a walk today. I would love to be a dress size down by the holidays. I'm still not sure how to make holiday food that's healthier, I guess I should learn some new recipes. LOL

Thanks for some snack ideas, I have been having some almonds or these rice chips, but my brain wasn't thinking of anything else that sounded good. I'll have to get dark chocolate, I have a sweet tooth, so it's hard to get rid of.

I've been good so far, had a nice Asian salad yesterday with raisins and chow mein noodles that is my new favorite meal. We bought some broccoli slaw which doesn't taste too awful with tuna either. LOL I am finding myself a little more tired around 2-3 as my body readjusts. I used to find myself eating snacks to get energy around that time. (Then eating snacks in the evening after dinner.)

It sounds like everyone is doing really well so far, so keep up the good work.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:03 AM

What sort of snacks do you guys eat that aren't too bad?
[/quote]

In summer when fresh veggies & fruit are around,I often have fruit or veggie sticks with red pepper hummus.If I have cake or cookies,the cake is a very small piece & cookies are held to 2-3 with 1/2 cup of skim milk.A square of dark chocolate,pretzels or baked chips are good. I make my own 100 cal packs of chips & pretzels.....& have cut up candy bars.I like the portion control of LF ice cream bars & cups.Can't use artifical sweetners due to migranes.

Hummus is made with canned,drained chick peas as a base.There are many recipes out there.I use less/or none of the tahini called for & always fold in very fine dice red peper...or roasted red pepper (water packed).There's lots of protein in hummus,so it's a great snack with whatever dippers your food plan allows.You can put it on a soft taco then add veggies on top as a sandwich,use as a dip or spread.I like this site because they give nutrition info & also reviews from ppl who've made the recipe.
You can buy hummus at most delis,but it's much cheaper to make at home.I started by trying at a deli,then to making my own.Keep tightly covered in fridge & yum yum :D :D
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/hummus-iii/detail.aspx

What is hummis>I see a lot of people eat it,but haven't a clue as to what it is.I see some make their own.Is it a spread? Thanks[/quote]
Old 09-04-2011, 07:15 AM

We have a winner!

Our August Weight Loss Winner is oldcottontop. She lost 18 pounds! Wow! What a great loss!

Please PM oldcottontop so that she can give you her snail mail addy...you want to send her skinny quarter as fast as you can so she can start her skinny quilt!

Our reported losses totaled 139.7 pounds for the month, and there were much more that didn't report! Way to go!!

Thank you, those who followed the directions and placed the weight lost in the subject line. It made it much easier to see the winner, instead of having to open each email, write the total down, and close it again. I had over 30 emails.

Keep up the good work.. We ARE losing and we ARE in control!
Old 09-04-2011, 07:18 AM

Congrats Oldcottontop on your loss. Keep up the good work.

I am in control and losing.

Cindy
Old 09-04-2011, 08:35 AM
mim

So this morning DH and I had our weekly weigh in -- I actually lost 1 # last week !!! Must be all the heavy brush cutting and hauling for 3 days that did it !!!

Our burn pile is getting bigger and bigger . If we have rain during the week we can get a permit to burn on the weekend. We have a volunteer fire Dept so no burning unless a lot of them are available. No permits this weekend because it is a long holiday and many are away.

Mim

Originally Posted by Xylie55
Originally Posted by mim
I think I sort of blew it tonite at dinner -- There was a great sale at one of the major grocery stores -- lobster at $2.00 off a pound. DH and I haven't had any all summer. And this is sweet corn season.

So boiled lobster in melted butter with 2 ears of frest corn -- with lots of butter and salt (naturally). The funny thing is that I didn't know how to cook it !!! I had to go on the internet. LOL

We have 2 lobsters left so I am looking up receipes -- that hopefully won't be floating in butter. I guess I won't be losing any this week. But it was a treat -- and I only ate one -- not 2

So I think of it as that 1 slice of bacon treat.

Mim

Living on the shore in Maine has local treats -- like so many other parts of the country.
Oh YUM,Lobster.Well,that's ok.It's ok to eat a nice dinner.You can make up for it later on.Steve says that it's not what we eat today,or even yesterday,it's an accumulation over time.So if you back it off in a few days and keep at it,you'll not even know you did it.Just cut some calories somewhere else to make up for it.So,enjoy!