Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could cry right now. >

I could cry right now.

I could cry right now.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 PM

The picture doesn't look that bad. I would try ironing it.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Deema, I am so sorry this happened to you. If you have the time, take out the quilting and put new batting in. I know that seems to be an awful lot of work and I am sure you have a million things to do for the early celebration. But, this is really all you can do. I am sure it is not the quilt front or back. Maybe you could enlist some help from a family member or neighbor or even a local quilt guild. Wish I were close enough, I would definitely help you. Bless your heart.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:01 PM

To me, the quilt is beautiful. Loved the fabrics. The quilt now has some character to it - probably just like your MIL and also yourself. Am sure she will love it. I gave one to my MIL and I could clearly see every artistic decision (ie mistake) but she loved it b/c I had made it for her and said it was beautiful.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:20 PM

can you take the top and bottom off and put new batting in? Or did you top stitch it?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by deema
Here are pics...Gah. It doesn't look NEARLY as bad in the pics as it does in person...
deema: Yes! your quilt crinkled and it is beautiful!! :thumbup:
It looks great in the photo, ONLY YOU and a thousand other quilters know it was not meant to be the size it now is.....add a gorgeous border( using the same batting leftovers, so it shrinks as beautifully!) :thumbup: skjquiltnut
Old 12-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

give it a good pressing and give it to her.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
Originally Posted by deema
Originally Posted by pookie ookie
Just saw the pix. Best I can tell, it looks wrinkly. A lot of people like that look.

Is it worse than wrinkly (my eyes are bad) or awkward to fold or wrap around you? Weird chunkiness going on in areas?
The fabric is just very puckered and some of the blocks/quilting appears distorted. The binding is all wavy, too. It really does not look as bad in the picture as it is...

It's not terribly awkward to fold or snuggle in, though...
deema, crazy question.
Could it be the thread that drew instead of the batting?
I am just thinking if you get the quilt wet again and block it
to let it air dry you will stretch out some of what you don't like. Try stretching the stitch in the ditch threads, without breaking them. I don't know if it will make any difference but it might.
How you feel about it is what is important here.
If it were not a gift for a super special occasion, just a regular hello/ how are you/ I love you day, would you want to give it to her? If yes, then do so 'on a regular hello/ how are you/ I love you day'. If she loves you she is going to love the quilt you made her.
On the other side of the coin, how would she feel if she knew you made this beautiful quilt for her and she didn't get to have it because it puckered? I think how she would feel would be an important factor too. Some people would cherish it because your loving hands made it. Some people would only want it if it was perfect. You know who she is. What would she want?
On Edit:
Gosh, I love it that we are of like minds and beating on our keyboards at the same time. Deema, I just saw your update on Sadiemaes response. Your a sweetheart. The gift is in the giving.
Oooooh! Yes yes yes!!! what deema said! Think how you would feel knowing you were "missing out on that beautiful and made with lots of love", gift! :-P
Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM

It is a very pretty quilt. I think if you don't tell her you think something is wrong with it then she will think it is meant to be this way. It still looks lovely in my opinion.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by ljfox
It is a very pretty quilt. I think if you don't tell her you think something is wrong with it then she will think it is meant to be this way. It still looks lovely in my opinion.
As someone posted earlier how you feel about it is important as you are the quiltmaker. And with that my thought is to be honest (remember the adage honesty is the best policy). If you aren't happy with it, I still say give it to her with the promise of a remake of a new quilt. She can use this one while she is waiting. She then has the bonus of 2 quilts if she wants. And if she doesn't care to keep this one you have endless possibilites of what to do with it. But if you want to throw it out please put my name on the list of those who would love to pay you postage to send it to me instead. ;-)
Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
just saw the picture, that's not that bad, try ironing it.
Agreed! I think a good ironing will take care of any puckers that are there. Lovely quilt, by the way. Your MIL is very lucky.