Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by libber
If you flew to Cali did you take it on board with you or ship it in your luggage?

I don't know what this poster did, but Bonnie Hunter takes hers as carry-on when she flies.

If I ever take mine on a flight, you'd better believe that it will be in the seating area with me! Probably sitting at my feet! :)
Old 05-23-2011, 10:07 AM

Mine is still in the box from the ebay seller. I paid $161.00, but I am afraid to open the box now :( It arrived on Saturday.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:09 AM

I was also born in 57 and my sister in 53 !

See below and then it will make sense :)
Old 05-23-2011, 10:10 AM

I posted it wrong, but I was also born in 57 and a sister in 53 :)

Originally Posted by candlequilter
Last year I didn't even know what a Featherweight was until I joined a sewing group since then I bought a 1953 FW on ebay (which is the same year my sister was born in). So about 3 months ago I found a 1957 FW on ebay and I bought that one too because that is my birth year. So now I call them by our middle names. I use the 53 the most - she sews beautifully and I take her with me every week to sewing group plus she will be going with me to the sewing retreat in Lincoln City, OR in 2 weeks that 18 of us from Washington, Oregon and Northern California are going to.

I will have to take some pictures of them and post.

Thanks,
Sherryl
Candlequilter
Old 05-23-2011, 10:16 AM

I bought my Featherweight 222 last summer from a fellow quilter at our Quilt's For Our Hero's group. I love it. Sews like a dream. My DH cleaned it and polished it up and I keep it polished. It's my favorite to take along to quilt meetings, etc. I learned to quilt on a Singer treadle when I was 4. Promptly sewed my pointer finger through the nail and had to wait about half an hour for help to "unsew" my finger, grin. Didn't stop me though.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:31 AM

Let me ask a question of those of you who have more than 1 FW. I only have 1 FW and can't figure out why I would need a second one?

So I'd like to humbly ask (because I'd like to understand) -- Why do you have more than one? Do you sew on all of them or are some just for decoration? (A woman in my quilt guild has 6 antique machines and they are purely decor.)
Old 05-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Since I started quilting I wanted a featherweight. Mainly due to the space they use. We have two girls and there was no sewing room while they were growing up. Also the machines were so expensive, this was before CL & Ebay. The LQS were asking anywhere from $400 & up. So when I started reading the QB and people telling how they found them on Ebay, ShopGoodwill.com and CL, I started my quest in February. Everything on CL was bought before I read the listing, so started with the ShopGoodwill.com and once I got the hang of the bidding, I tried on Ebay. Within a week and half I had 3 machines. What I didn't know was how to rescind a bid after I got my first one. Ooops! Thought oh well, if push comes to shove and one is not great, I will be able to use it for parts. Also, the prices were reasonable and I can afford them now when I could not before. My daughters are now grown and no longer live at home so I even have a sewing room. It was just funny after waiting so long then all of a sudden having three. And thanks to the QB I was able to clean and adjust each machine so each one sews like a dream. So I don't need to sacrifice one for the others. Don't have them out right now so can't tell you their birthdays - have been going through some medical issues so not doing much right now but reading QB and hand sewing. May take one to my sister in WA, neither of my daughters sew.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:07 AM

I have been looking for one also I love the ruby jewel
Old 05-23-2011, 11:40 AM

I've heard stories about TSA in security being very suspicious of FW's at some airport and take the whole thing apart before they okay it to go on board. I haven't tried it yet going to San Diego.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:46 AM

I learned to sew on a Featherweight. I bought my first one for myself for $25 at an auction in Nebraska in the 1970s. I now own 35 Featherweights. I was going to go into business but then got sick. Soooo, I will be selling most of them soon. My husband will go through each one and make sure it works well before we put it up for sale. If any of you are interested, PM me and I will give you first dibs.