Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST >

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Weight loss challenge with a prize Jan 2011 sign up ..........closes Jan 2@ 8am EST

Old 01-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjomomma
There is only 2 that have not specified if they are going to join us or not. I could have just missed the post.
Just say so and I will add you to the list.
grandma janico
sewbizgirl
I'm not going to join the competition as I'm not trying to lose weight, but I would like to follow the thread to encourage and root others on, and I'd like to send a fat quarter to the winner.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Originally Posted by cjomomma
There is only 2 that have not specified if they are going to join us or not. I could have just missed the post.
Just say so and I will add you to the list.
grandma janico
sewbizgirl
I'm not going to join the competition as I'm not trying to lose weight, but I would like to follow the thread to encourage and root others on, and I'd like to send a fat quarter to the winner.
Thank you for letting me know.
We would be happy to have you follow us and join in the conversation.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Originally Posted by CAROLJ

Will the bands help with the fly in your face arms. I have lost a lot of weight but I still can't wear sleeveless because the arms remain unattractive!

:( :shock:
try the figure 8 stretch extender. everlast's is only $6 today at amazon the other thing is for around $12 everlast has a rowing action exerciser that comes with a DVD. Part goes under your feet so I don't know if you could use it with your foot problem. Because you are rowing it is building arm muscle. I bought my about a year ago it didn't come with the DVD.
Actually rowing exercises are for your lats-- your back muscles, although your biceps and deltoids (front of arms and shoulders) will assist until the lats get stronger. For the hanging underarms you need to work your triceps, the muscle along the back of your upper arms. Pushups are great for this, it just takes time. If you can't do pushups from your toes, do girly pushups from your knees until you build strength. There are many other ways to work your triceps. Get a good book such as Strength Training Anatomy by Delavier, or search online.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

One more suggestion: WebMD has some great newletters they send out with diet and fitness info. They debunk a lot of myths... You can sign up for their free newsletters. It's great info and very encouraging.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:14 PM

My new years res. for this year is to stop taking care of everyone else and start taking care of my self for a change. I have done it for so long I am not sure where to begin lol! My weight has just gone up over the years I have never stayed committed long enough to actually loose any weight....but I have never had any support or even told anyone I was trying to loose weight either. So how easy does that make it to not follow through? lol! I weighed this morning but I do have 2 delayed holiday dinners the first week of Jan. to do. Hopefully by exercising I can still make some progress. :)I really like Lauriejo's plan I want less of alot of things in my life. Less stress, less clutter,less chaos,less spending, and especially less weight! I have over 100 pounds to loose also. I have 1 1/2 years till I am 50. My goal is to be thinner and healthier by the time I turn 50. There...... actually telling someone wasn't THAT embarrasing. :-D
Old 01-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
I have over 100 pounds to loose also. I have 1 1/2 years till I am 50. My goal is to be thinner and healthier by the time I turn 50. There...... actually telling someone wasn't THAT embarrasing. :-D
It shouldn't have been embarrasing there are quite a few others that have to lose 100 lbs. You are taking the first step and we are all here to help each other.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
My new years res. for this year is to stop taking care of everyone else and start taking care of my self for a change. I have done it for so long I am not sure where to begin lol! My weight has just gone up over the years I have never stayed committed long enough to actually loose any weight....but I have never had any support or even told anyone I was trying to loose weight either. So how easy does that make it to not follow through? lol! I weighed this morning but I do have 2 delayed holiday dinners the first week of Jan. to do. Hopefully by exercising I can still make some progress. :)I really like Lauriejo's plan I want less of alot of things in my life. Less stress, less clutter,less chaos,less spending, and especially less weight! I have over 100 pounds to loose also. I have 1 1/2 years till I am 50. My goal is to be thinner and healthier by the time I turn 50. There...... actually telling someone wasn't THAT embarrasing. :-D
You can do it, Rita's Mom!
Old 01-01-2011, 01:08 PM

Okay... I think I'm in. Weighed 'in' this am.

Hitting the gym on monday. I'm supposed to do that 3 x week, but haven't done so yet... <sigh> The encouragement from here will help.

I have about 70lbs to loose over all. Where? Where did it come from??? yikes... I just read the interesting comment about how many calories there were in just 4oz of lean beef. wow.

Thanks ladies (and guys if there are any in the challenge...).

kata in south florida... newbie quilter.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Might be interesting sometime if rather than "pounds" lost to do a contest with "percentage of weight" lost like the Biggest Loser. Makes it more fair for the person who has a smaller amount of weight to lose....just a thought.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:25 PM

Count me in! I'm needing to lose anyway so maybe this will help keep me going!