Online Dating..Opinions.

Old 03-14-2011, 02:52 PM

Use common sense and go with your instinct - be patient and something will come through. You can always text, talk and skype, even use facebook, etc to get a better measure on that person before meeting.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:40 PM

I have two good friends happily married to men they met online.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

I told my Son to go to Church to meet a good girl. He didn't mind me! I would think there are some sites out there that are good, but you must ask around a lot.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Just be careful. I would bring a friend when you go meet him in person. Good luck!
Old 03-14-2011, 04:35 PM

Everyone has given you good advice. I did online dating before I met my hubby, didn't met him online. I did all the things everyone talked about, just to be extra careful. I always checked the sex offener list and paid for a subscripion for unlimited background checks. If anything didn't match up, there was no date. All the men I did have dates with were gentlemen. Good luck and have fun and don't settle for less than what you want.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:34 PM

I meet my husband online and we have been happily married for 6 1/2 years now.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:04 PM

I have done on line dating thru plenty of fish. Have met many of gentlemen for lunch. You start off by chatting on line and then graduate to phone calls and then meet for lunch. Some want to meet for coffee, but I feel that they should be able to pop for lunch. I have met many different men, some strange and some very nice. I have met the love of my life and we have been together for 6 months and plan to be together forever. I am 65 years old and have a good head on my shoulders. I feel online dating is good, Just remember to take your time and be selective. There are a lot of strange people out there. Good luck
Old 03-14-2011, 06:14 PM

I think you could casually meet a "weirdo" just as easy as you could meet a "weirdo" online. these days it really doesn't matter.....
I met my husband online 8 years ago. I would frequant a chat room for people in the st louis area! I thought he was a "dirty old man" he never talked only said "hi" to certain people as they came in (like the dirty old men do. Well three months after I noticed him he finally PMd me and I decided to check his profile. he wasn't a "dirty old man". we talked for several months and then I went to st. louis to meet him at the bowling alley. we have been together every day since! Come July we will have been married five years! We have three kids and he still tells people how I thought he was a dirty old man! LOL
Old 03-14-2011, 06:26 PM

My husband and I met online; he in northern New York and me in Eastern Maine. We talked daily on the phone and he came to Maine one weekend a month to see me for a whole year and then I moved to New York with him. He retires the end of this year and we will be moving back to Maine. We both asked alot of questions and got to know each other really well before getting married. No regrets at all. He is a wonderful man. You are never too old to meet that special someone who completes you.

Blessings!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:34 PM

It can be dangerous anywhere. I'll try to keep this short....
1) I know a woman that met a man at church. Church helped them with the wedding. Two weeks later he tore the rings off her fingers to sell to buy dope. Eventually she had to leave the state under an assumed name because of him.

2) I know a woman that met a man at the gym.....she dated him twice. The very next woman he met (2 weeks later) he killed.

3) Met my first husband in school. Married after knowing him for 7 years. He ended up being a drunk and a wife beater.

I met my current husband on Match.com 8 yrs ago - been married almost 6. He is the best thing that's ever happened for me!!!!!

Now some advice on HOW: Select well, INTERVIEW them before you ever agree to meeting...talk for a long while and I mean for a month or two. Take notes when talking. You won't believe the men I talked to that had stories one week and forgot what they'd said the next. One said he loved fishing but 2 weeks later he told me he hated fishing. I even had one man tell me he was 5'11"....if he was over 5'3" I'll eat my hat. He accused me of being prejudiced against short men. I informed him I was not but I WAS prejudiced against liars! LISTEN to them, don't just be flattered. They'll pick up on what you say and try to say what you want to hear. If the hair goes up on the back of your neck, listen to it....that's your guardian angel.

The casual ways most people go at meeting someone online is scary. The "hook-ups" for just meeting and having a drink and then sex IS scary and dangerous. If you're serious about meeting someone nice, go at it like you were looking for a job.

Good luck!

BTW - I only met one druggy in all the dates I had...AND I didn't, as far as I know, meet a murderer. :) :)