Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very Heavy quilt ?? >

Very Heavy quilt ??

Very Heavy quilt ??

Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 PM

I had a heavy quilt like that a long time ago and my Dad stayed over one week end and said it gave him ingrown toe nails it was so heavy. LOL
Old 03-28-2011, 03:21 AM

I remember that "heavy feeling" also. My grandmother had used old wool army blankets for the batting and they were all tied. Thanks for the memory!

Originally Posted by familyfun
I am getting ready to start a Dear Jane quilt as soon as the software comes. I can remember when I was little I would go stay all night with grandmothers and friends grandmothers or other relatives and the quilts they had always seemed very heavy. I love that heavy quilt feeling when sleeping. The quilts I make today with poly or warm and natural do not have that very heavy feeling. Does anyone know what I can use to get that feeling? Do you think I could use a Double layer of batting?
Has anyone ever tried that ? (I am going to hand quilt)
Hope you dont think I am strange. LOL...
Old 03-28-2011, 03:38 AM

You could also try the fusible fleece I think it is called
Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
If I remember correctly, the old time heaviest quilts were not quilted, they were tied. The ones Grandma made seemed to be made with heavy, scratchy fabrics, blanket batting and a soft backing. Probably a flannel sheet.

But it sure was comforting to pull that heavy quilt over me, cuddle down in my flannel gown, snuggled deep into the big pillow and listen to the wind hurling rain at the window in the bedroom.
oh yesssssssssss (and the pillow was a feather pillow, wasn't it?)
Old 03-28-2011, 03:49 AM

Save yourself - don't use 2 layers of batting! Especially if it's W&N! My very first quilt was a double irish chain lap quilt that I was making for my grandmother. Thought it would be warmer for her if I used 2 layers of batting. I did SID in the 'chains' and flower designs in the plain blocks. The plain blocks weren't too bad with the double layer but the SID was painful with a capital P. But who knew? I did get through it with the help of some needle nosed pliers and she loved it so it was worth it in the end but I really don't know that it made it really that much heavier. Several quilts later my SIL said the one I made for them amazed her at it's warmth with a single layer of W&N. She asked me to make a quilt for my niece as her room is frigid in the winter. I used a single layer of W&N and used flannel for the backing. I swear that child will never move a muscle under that quilt!
Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 AM

I make comforters for a friend. I don't call them quilts as they aren'tquilted. I piece 4-inch squares together, put a blanket in the middle and flannel on the back. I tack them and then bind them with the flannel. It goes fine until I try to bind them and they are so heavy to wrestle around with. I sometimes bring the flannel to the front and stitch down with a decorative stitch. She loves them as they sleep in an unheated bedroom. She wants all I can make for her. I have another friend who cuts all her leftover project fabrics into squares and gives them to me. I have two big boot boxes of squares to get used up. Plus all the squares I cut myself when I finish a project.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by tigger5464
My Great Grandmother and Mom used to use multiple "sheet" blankets as batting. Remember those "sheet" blankets well...too bad can't find them now.
Try looking at Lands End for the sheet blankets. I purchased one from them a number of years ago and it was the most wonderful blanket in the world. 100% and it was probably the only blanket that has ever fit on my king sized bed. It wasn't cheap - about $100 if I remember correctly but I could actually tuck it under the mattress and still have enough length to get a fold at the head of the bed and it had a drop on the sides to boot. Not sure what happened to it but I'm guessing it was destroyed by one of the dogs. And I decided I wasn't spending that much $$ for something for the dogs to destroy again. Hence the reason I'm not in a hurry to make the Mariner's Compass I want for my bed.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:05 AM

I use them all the time.They work out great and you don't have to quilt them really close because they are already pre quilted if you will.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:20 AM

I am working on a wolf quilt for the DH and the 80/20 batting isn't what is heavy, it is the polarfleece I am backing it with in addition to the batting. It is also king size so I have had quilt it in sections. Very heavy but it will be warm on our South Dakota winters/
Old 03-28-2011, 04:20 AM

I made a flannel quilt with W& N. The backing was flannel and the top was what I say looks like a brick wall, of flannel. It feels heavier than another quilt I made with just a flannel backing. Must be the flannel.