Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • how do you separate stash >
  • how do you separate stash

• how do you separate stash

Old 06-13-2011, 04:20 AM

Mine are separated by color. Anything larger than 4 yds still gets ruler folded but not half-folded and all stored together on top shelf. I keep all my Stash Fabric in one area so I don't lose them- you know what I mean. I bought a bunch of Iris Shoe Boxes- Costco- and store Projects in them until I have all the materials or ready to start. I really think you have to work out what is good for you. Good Luck.
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:31 AM

Well, I had no approach but based on all the input, I will get organized. Thanks.
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:39 AM

I have my oriental fabrics together, as well as what I would consider Christmas or holiday. Flannels for the babies in another drawer. The rest I sort as the colors of the rainbow, only putting the yellows and oranges before the red. I have two drawers for those scraps or larges strips that are used for log cabins. FQ are stacked.
    Old 06-13-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by sisLH
    Thanks for all the ideas. It sounds like many of us have the same dilemna. I can tell I don't nearly have the same amt of space as some have! I like the idea of CD racks for fat gtrs.
    Great idea to use cd racks........
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:45 AM

I typically sort mine by color. But, to help with time in color selection, I will also pull colors and put into coordinating fabrics and tie a thin ribbon around them. That way I know these all go together and don't pull them for another project. I keep these groups on a separate shelf by themselves.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    I have my oriental fabrics together, as well as what I would consider Christmas or holiday. Flannels for the babies in another drawer. The rest I sort as the colors of the rainbow, only putting the yellows and oranges before the red. I have two drawers for those scraps or larges strips that are used for log cabins. FQ are stacked.
    I do something similar, keeping specialty fabrics in separate bins. I also keep my larger scrap pieces of a color in a bin next to the stack of fabric.
    Old 06-13-2011, 05:48 AM

Some of my stash is bundled into 5 or 6 pieces of coordinating fabric ready to start a quilt and some are separated by the main color. I keep the large pieces (for backing) in a tub together and separate tubs for just batiks, pillowcase fabric and dog bed fabric. Also made a very comprehensive list of what is in each numbered tub and refer to that list when I need to add or take something.
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:17 AM

This is interesting reading, especially since I'm working at reorganizing my sewing room. I am lucky enough to have 2 closets with shelves and a wall cabinet that was a pantry before. In my closets, I have flannels, vintage, Christmas/Holiday, patriotic, Civil War, 1930s, novelty. Then in the pantry, I have them sorted by colors, with multi-colors all together.
    I do believe that luvTooQuilt has the best system. I have my scraps not too organized; that's what I'm working on now.
    Thanks for starting this thread!
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by jmabby
    I store mine by color and by mfg/collection; the pieces without one definite color I store in a multiple color bin
    This is what I do, except I don't distinguish by manufacturer. I do separate out landscape and cat fabrics.
    Old 06-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Hello! I sort my yardage by main color. All my solids are on a shelf by themselves. Fat Quarters and smaller pieces are on a shelf. Batiks on a shelf. Holiday fabric on a shelf. All stripes on a shelf together. All ginghams on a shelf. Fabrics that I have in several colorways, go on a shelf together.