Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have been sewing for 40 years! >

I have been sewing for 40 years!

I have been sewing for 40 years!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:58 AM

My Maw Maw & Granny M started me sewing when I was 5 they did quilts & clothes. I've been hooked every since my mom also sews . Have been doing it for 57ys. Made my 1st quilt(doll) at 7. My stash show it to. I have My Granny M treadle still works . My Maw Maw was all by hand never had a machine.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:14 AM

I got the "make stuff" gene from my grandfather. He was the epitome of handy--he was as talented with woodworking as he was with electronics. Had he not passed away before bare-bones computers became commercially available, he would absolutely have built his own computer from the ground up. And he sewed his own shirts, and baked his own bread, and I'm pretty sure he even made a pair of shoes once.

I'm the same way. I just like to make stuff. It's so satisfying to feel independent and competent. I feel like keeping my handy-skills intact is a good way to stay sharp and bright throughout my life.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:29 AM

My father could sew and do lots of handy things, but my mother could not. Mom hated sewing. Dad passed away when I was five so I never got a chance to learn from him, but I took every sewing class in public school that I could and when I was in high school, my oldest brother bought me my first Singer machine so I could make him stuff for his room, his van, and his girlfriend. I learned how to make teddy bears from a pattern just for him. I never had the itch to quilt until I learned that you could do most of the blanket on a machine and here I am. I just pieced my first practice quilt top and I'm going to quilt it on my Bernina 1530 this coming weekend. My family is having a hard time keeping up with all my crafting. I knit and crochet, as well.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 AM

I too have been sewing for around 40 years. As a teenager, I made clothes for myself and my sister. For me, it was a necessity; I was so skinny it was hard to find clothes that fit and were long enough. I should be so lucky now. :roll:
Old 07-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Was raised by foster parents and she made ALL of my clothes. The only clothes that were "store bought" was at the big Sears/Roebuck in Atlanta ! I started sewing when I was about 9 or 10 and continued. Even made my wedding dress ! As I had children (girls) I made a lot of their clothes, including coats, bathing suits, etc. Taught myself to crochet and then knit; also did a lot of cross stitching and taught myself needlepoint. Entered some needlepoint and cross stitch in shows in Atlanta ! Took an English smocking class years ago and my youngest had a new SMOCKED dress to year to church every Sunday formore than 2 years. She likes to tell story that she wore smocked clothes until she discovered that other clothes could be bought !

Now I focus only on quilting which I'm teaching myself. The "board" has been so very good to me in giving me directions and instilling self confidence. I look forward to creating quilts that will be "keepers" for all my girls and my family.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 AM

Started about 12 yrs ago quilting and love it.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Banned

That's longer than I've been alive! I hope to be able to say someday that I've been quilting for as long as you :)
Old 07-19-2011, 01:24 PM

My mother used to sew, too. Not sure if she started before me or after I did. I had twin sisters and a younger one by 18 months - I was 10 years older. She sewed quite a few things for them and for herself. I remember she would buy a pattern and put in her own details, like cover the buttons or change the strap or the length.

Then she used to "pimp" me out to make flower girl dresses for some of her friends, lol. It was quite the experience at 15, but I made her do all the hand sewing! Now, I don't mind so much.

She hasn't sewn for years because now she's into crochet. Someone taught her about 15 years ago and she still hasn't put down that hook!
Old 07-19-2011, 01:27 PM

I've been sewing for more than 60 years, didn't give up even after big goofs. When I was 11 or 12 mother was in the hospital, so dad helped me cut out a full circle skirt. We didn't know about putting the pattern on the "grain". So, you can imagine how it turned out! LOL
Old 07-19-2011, 01:32 PM

In 2007 for my niece's first birthday I, after not having sewn anything in 25 years, made her a teddy bear, 4 adorable outfits for the bear, and a little baby quilt for the bear. Her mother, I guess so they won't get messed up, to my knowledge hasn't given her any of it and she just turned 5 this past April. However, during this process I decided I would get rich making baby doll clothes and selling them at flea markets.....NOT!!! I then turned to making aprons, nothing fancy, just waist aprons. I have about 30 of them that are cut out waiting to be sewn together, couldn't hardly give them away - $10 each or 3 for $25. Pathetic, still have about 8 left. One day in February 2010 I woke up and decided hey, I want to try to make a quilt - after all, how hard could it be? Famous last words, I'm hooked!