Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Does anybody else have trouble making yourself bind a quilt? >
  • Does anybody else have trouble making yourself bind a quilt?

• Does anybody else have trouble making yourself bind a quilt?

Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 AM

I love binding now that I finally have perfected the corner thing. I love the handsewing part the best.
    Old 08-01-2011, 07:27 AM

this is why I bind all mine by machine. I use a pretty stitch for the top because you can tell it was machine binded. It makes it look better as I'm not that great at binding
    Old 08-01-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    I no longer hate binding since finding Sharon Schambers tutorial on gluing binding. What a difference this has made for me. You can find it on youtube.
    Here's the pdf:

http://www.sharonschamber.com/free%2...ng%20Class.pdf

I've been constructing the binding strips with Elmer's glue for a while, but yesterday was the first time I tried gluing the binding to the back after stitching to the front. OMG! Why didn't I try that sooner? I was able to complete the binding on 2 twin size quilts in about an hour! Once I glued down the backside, I flipped it and stitched in the ditch on the front. It came out great! The 2nd one was even better because I adjusted the needle a little to come closer to the edge of the binding on the backside. I still prefer hand-sewn binding on my quilts, but for kids, charity quilts, etc., this is such a time saver!
    Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 AM

I love binding my quilts. If the weather is nice it's always hard to sit down and get it done. Too many other things to do. However, on a cold day when the wind is blowing the snow side ways there is nothing else I'd rather do. :)
    Old 08-01-2011, 09:01 AM

I used to hate doing bindings because they would end up not looking right to me. I watched Sharon Schamber's youtube videos on how she binds quilts and it helped a lot, my bindings are looking a lot more even than they did. Just learning a different way to do that helped me, and now I'm not putting off doing bindings anymore.

LOL I just saw some of the other posters mentioned her too, her method is really nice.
    Old 08-01-2011, 09:02 AM

I don't hate binding, but don't particularly enjoy it either. I refuse to hand sew binding and use a machine blanket stitch to give it a bit pretty. I have a lap quilt that I finished quilting today and am taking a short break before starting the binding. And corners? Let's not even go there!
    Old 08-01-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
    I don't hate binding, but don't particularly enjoy it either. I refuse to hand sew binding and use a machine blanket stitch to give it a bit pretty. I have a lap quilt that I finished quilting today and am taking a short break before starting the binding. And corners? Let's not even go there!
    If you want beautiful corners, try the Sharon Schamber method!
    Old 08-01-2011, 09:17 AM

I think binding is the worst part for me, always takes a while before my quilts are binded. I think I have about five to do and there just put off to the side for now.
    Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 AM

I had a real problem starting the binding on my first project, but after I got over the hump, I began to enjoy doing it. It' a real change of pace
    Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 AM

That is a beautiful quilt, and it would be a shame for it to sit unbound!

I don't hate binding, but I don't love it either -- I just like to get it done and finished.

Other posters are correct: Any task you don't care for but need to do, you just break it down into its parts.

1. Are you happy with the thought of multi-fabric binding? If yes, just start that part. If not, go off and find some fabric that you like and make binding out of it.

2. As someone said, make yourself do one side a day, then give yourself a treat and leave the rest to tomorrow.

3. If you hate making corners, what about not making corners? You can bind each side separately, then overlap at the corners and sew by hand. Remember, there are no quilt police.

4. If you hate the hand sewing part, why not go ahead and do all but that, then wait for your fairy godmother to send you someone to do that part for you? (If you lived in WI, I would do it.)

I have had a bad case of 'procrastinationitis' myself in the past, so I know how to break things down and take tiny steps.