Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Paducah's So Called Quilt Museum >
  • Paducah's So Called Quilt Museum

• Paducah's So Called Quilt Museum

Old 08-06-2011, 05:16 PM

Sorry you were disappointed. I was there 2 years ago, they had the last 25 years of 1st place winners there. Just beautiful. Do it again but check to see what they are showing when you go back. Quilt shop not to far from the Museum. It is in a house.. :thumbup:
    Old 08-06-2011, 05:44 PM

Sorry, did not mean to step on toes. I love Paducah itself and the people are the friendliest of ant place I've visited, As for the older part of town, mant of the shops were empty, the ones I went into were very nice and the candy shop is still the best!

When my husband there several years ago it was really different, I did go to Hancocks on my way out of town, I was just really disappointed in the quilt museum.
    Old 08-06-2011, 05:46 PM
    Power Poster

The museum is very nice no matter what quilts are displayed. The downtown area is much nicer then most small cities I have been to over the years. I'd be happy to live there!
    Old 08-07-2011, 03:36 AM
    Vat

I have been to the museum several times and loved it each time. They hang different quilts, different times of the year. Rotating different types of quilts in and out all the time.
    Old 08-07-2011, 04:36 AM

something you may not know - if you are planning a special trip to a museum and you want to see a specific quilt in their collection, contact them ahead of time, they may arrange a special showing for you.
    I have done this twice, once at Boston's MFA (shown below), and once at a university museum in KY.
    [img]http://zoom.mfa.org/fif=sc1/sc173578.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=568&cell=568,427&cvt=jpeg[/img]
    Old 08-07-2011, 04:49 AM

Good reply, thank you
    Old 08-07-2011, 04:58 AM

I was at the Paducah museum only once...I loved the show I got to see, which was mostly older quilts, but also quilts that had won awards at the Paducah quilt shows. Museum to me means collections, and they can be old, new, and any age inbetween. I am a traditional quilter, but always am also impressed by more modern quilts and love looking at any quilt.
    Hope if and when you get back to the museum, that there will be a more traditional quilt show for you to see...they probably have a schedule so you can choose when to go so you can see the quilts you expected to see this time.
    Old 08-07-2011, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Normacharlie
    Sorry, did not mean to step on toes. I love Paducah itself and the people are the friendliest of ant place I've visited, As for the older part of town, mant of the shops were empty, the ones I went into were very nice and the candy shop is still the best!
    Downtowns are declining everywhere. It's so hard to adjust to the malls and centers supplanting the old business districts and self-service instead of real service. (I still miss elevator operators.) It's the automobile culture.
    Old 08-07-2011, 07:14 AM

Come to Lincoln NE for the International Quilt Museum when you get a chance. Be sure it is not a football Saturday!
    Old 08-07-2011, 07:39 AM

if we are fortunate, all of our current quilting efforts will be 'antiques' someday.

I see this as an evolution of quilting...I remember quilts when they became popular again, around 1976...and have watched how they progressed/regressed since. Some I like, some I don't!

A dear friend's quilt will be in the museum ... It is a beautiful hand appliquéd quilt that happens to be machine quilted by a long arm artist...her quilt was chosen because they are showcasing the long arm artists and her appliquéd quilt showcases it beautifully.

When I saw her quilt I saw the perfection of her Applique and then the quilting.