Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paducah's So Called Quilt Museum >

Paducah's So Called Quilt Museum

Paducah's So Called Quilt Museum

Old 08-07-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B
Sorry to disagree, but nothing about the word "museum" promises that its exhibits are antique or even old or traditional. And it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that the museum not having traditional, hand quilted, older quilts on display at all times has contributed to the decline of that whole area. Sorry that you were disappointed, but you know what they say...phone first (or check out the website).
I have to disagree, when I think museum, I think art. Art is not just old, there are also new artists that deserve to be showcased in a museum just as much as the old. I like to see old traditional quilts just as much as I like to see new modern quilts. Everyone has their own style, and not everyone is the same or enjoys the same things which is why museums rotate. I hate scrappy quilts while others love them, regardless both scrappy and non-scrappy should be showcased for different types of people, we do not all like the same art, and while you might like to see old quilts in a museum others might like to see modern, both should be able to see what they want at some time during the year to reach all types of people. If we all liked the same thing this world would be a very boring place. I like to see all different types of quilts on here and at shows, even if they are not my style, I can find beauty in all of them and the time it took someone to make them
Old 08-07-2011, 08:40 AM

this is just so sad to me.

very few museums devote themselves to quilting and to hear that quilters do not understand the role of the museums to their art or craft is heart breaking.

just because you didn't enjoy a certain exhibit is not a reflection of the museum as a whole and the role of a museum isn't only devoted to antique quilts.

it might be wise for you to read a museums mission statement and go thru all their information on their website before making global judgements about the establishment.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 AM

So sorry you had a bad experience but, Museum is a building housing collections of items - not necessarily old or antique. Living artisans often display their works in museums.
Before your next visit you might want to check to see what they have on display before you make the trip.
I too am a senior citizen who appreciates hand quilting and older methods of quilting. But I've also come to love all the new fangled "goodies" available to us today. I wouldn't dream of making a quilt with my rotary cutter and cutting mat.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by andifar
Come to Lincoln NE for the International Quilt Museum when you get a chance. Be sure it is not a football Saturday!
I need to do that too and I wouldn't mind if it was a football Saturday!

GO BIG RED!

PS -- is it anywhere near the Nebraska Bookstore because that is definitely a stop when I come home to Nebraska!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 AM

Museums must let quilts "rest" between exhibits especially when they are hand quilted. Check the web sight before going next time.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:47 AM

sometimes a museum can show only a certain part of all it owns (any museum) and they put away parts or whole collections and only rotate them out as they can. Maybe thats what happened here, but you can always write them or email them - there is usually a contact for such things and ask them specifically about what you would like to see in their collections.
They really do like hearing from the public as it helps them show things that will draw people in. sharet
Old 08-07-2011, 10:51 AM

Is Caryl Bryer Fallert's place Quilter's Alley? I don't know what Caryl Bryer Faller's place is.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:28 AM

I agree with what you said scowlkat. I have been to all kinds of "museums" and have found something interesting at them all. I have never gone to this particular one, but wasn't it called a QUILT MUSEUM and didn't they display quilts? Here's what I found and has always been my idea of what they were.

Definition museum

NOUN
1. place where important things are preserved: a building or institution where objects of artistic, historical, or scientific importance and value are kept, studied, and put on display

Thesaurus
NOUN
Synonyms: gallery, exhibition hall, arts center, academy, institution

Originally Posted by scowlkat
I personally take offense at the criticism of any effort to showcase quilts, antique or not! All museums, including the Smithsonian, rotate their exhibits to bring freshness and also because they do not have room to show their collection at one time! Perhaps before people visit such establishments they should have the common sense to research prior to their visit, after all, wouldn't you check the weather before heading to the beach!

I have visited the National Quilt Museum three times and each time, the exhibits were vastly different.

Oh and here is the definition of the word museum in my dictionary:

museum (n): A building, place, or institution devoted to the acquisition, conservation, study, exhibition, and educational interpretation of objects having scientific, historical, or artistic value.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:37 AM

I was in Paducah for the openine/dedication of the museum in Paducah. I have been there several times since then. I think it is wonderful, along with a lot of other people. The museum purchases for its permanent collection the winning quilt from the yearly quilt show. So, you are getting, in essence, the best of what is out there for the year. It isn't easy getting juried into the show. I have seen some quilts that I definitely didn't like, but they had some merit or they wouldn't have been chosen for purchase. I question that every single quilt in the collection was machine quilted. I have been to the Nashville show (AQS) also, and not all have been machine quilted. Better luck in choosing your venue next time. Sorry you were disappointed.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:50 AM

So sorry you did not enjoy your visit to the quilt museum. We pass through Paducah about once a year and I make it a point to visit the museum. I've never been disappointed and the exhibits are always changing. I think it is quite large for a museum displaying nothing but quilts and I think the displays are very well done. The museum is neat and clean and easy to get to. I will definitely be going back! Love the quilt shops too!