Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone use a coffee percolator? >

Anyone use a coffee percolator?

Anyone use a coffee percolator?

Old 08-07-2011, 08:36 PM

My DH uses an electric percolator now,,Before He kept burning up the "Mr. Coffee" ones, forgetting to turn them off..
Old 08-07-2011, 08:48 PM

My sister-in-law only uses a perculator and is completely convinced it makes the best coffee. Personally, I think the coffee is bitter (don't use cream in my coffee.... she uses tons of creamer.)

Me --- I LOVE my Bunn coffee maker. It was the best $ I have ever spent for a coffee maker. Not only is it extremely quick.... it produces a very smooth taste.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:16 PM

My Mom used one when I was kid. Forgot all about percolators. Thanks for the memory.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:36 PM

I used to use an electric percolator all the time until the kids got me a drip coffee maker. Does anyone remember the very (50's & 60's) old stainless steel 2 piece coffee makers. It kind of looks like a big egg timer. There's a springy thing in the top part of the funnel. You would fill the bottom with water and the top with the coffee grinds and boil the water until it was forced up into the funnel. Let it "brew" while stirring it, then take it off the burner and it would funnel back to the pot on the bottom. My Mom used one when I was a kid, it really fascinated me and I always wanted to do it. I have it displayed on the top of my cabinets
Old 08-07-2011, 10:36 PM

I used to use an electric percolator all the time until the kids got me a drip coffee maker. Does anyone remember the very (50's & 60's) old stainless steel 2 piece coffee makers. It kind of looks like a big egg timer. There's a springy thing in the top part of the funnel. You would fill the bottom with water and the top with the coffee grinds and boil the water until it was forced up into the funnel. Let it "brew" while stirring it, then take it off the burner and it would funnel back to the pot on the bottom. My Mom used one when I was a kid, it really fascinated me and I always wanted to do it. I have it displayed on the top of my cabinets
Old 08-07-2011, 10:37 PM

sorry for double post
Old 08-07-2011, 11:06 PM

I use a "Vornado" percolator that we found at a thrift store. It's like any of the old silver type with the long spout, except it doesn't have the glass bubble thing on the top. I remember I liked to watch coffee splash up into the topper when I was small... This one makes coffee that is delicious, of course that might be the ground that we're using. We usually drink Dunkin' Donuts French Vanilla coffee. It costs a little more, but I use coupons and catch it on sale (you can freeze it you know) and since we don't drink coffee everyday it's really not too expensive. We offered coffee to the satellite installer back in January when he finished our install, and he commented that the new coffeepots don't make coffee that hot anymore. He seemed to appreciate being able to take a piping hot cup of fragrant coffee back on the road with him. We love our percolator, and I seriously doubt we'll ever go back to the newer coffeepot that we have stored away.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:58 AM

I use my electric percolator every day and have one to go over the fire for camping.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:25 AM

I remember my Mom using an old coffeepot on the stove...but I didn't get into coffee until late in life...now I have a Press that I got from my Avon lady, it's a pink press! It makes the best smooth coffee. But when I babysat out of town I had to use a pan on the stove and a fine strainer! It was delicious...I guess you just can't ruin Starbucks coffee no matter how you cook it!
Old 08-08-2011, 02:49 AM

I have three percolators, one from my grandmother,a two cup from thrift store and a new one that is really fast. I have heard that drip coffee taste better than perked but I was tired of buying drip coffee pots, they never seem to last very long.