Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Anyone use a coffee percolator? >

Anyone use a coffee percolator?

Anyone use a coffee percolator?

Old 08-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by luvstitches
I've used a regular Mr. Coffee for my coffee since I started drinking it about 20 plus years ago.
A friend of mine gave me her mother's vintage Farberware percolator and I want to try it. This is how my mom made coffee when I was very young.
Does anyone still use one? I'm wondering if the coffee would be hotter or taste different. I only drink two to three cups/mugs in the morning.
Thanks!
yep..but not for coffee..I have never drank coffee and don't plan to start now..I use mine in the greenhouse to make WORM TEA...hehehe
Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM

Percolator coffee is the next best thing to cowboy coffee boiled in a granite-ware pot on an open fire.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:37 PM

My Grandma used to boil huge bluish/granite pots of coffee for family groups. She would let smash up a whole egg in the grounds and toss in a touch of salt, then put it all in the pot to boil, no filter or extra part in the pot. Then she'd take it off the fire and let it set for a few moments...I can still smell that marvelous cold morning wake up call.

I use a metal camping percolator, my helpers in a yard sale got rid of my old Corning ware one that I forgot to hide from them. Just said sell everything on the counters I'd left out, and they did, being obedient kids!!

An electric perk doesn't smell up the kitchen, and I love the smell of coffee perking, bacon frying and yeast bread baking.
(Not that I'm ever awake enough in the AM to make yeast bread.)
Old 08-07-2011, 05:43 PM

I use my electric percolator every day. It is the best coffee. Never bitter. I also use a filter with it.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 PM

I have a percolator for camping. It's not good coffee, but it's better than no coffee. ;) I do like the novelty of making coffee over an open fire, but I think I may start bringing my French press and just use the perc to heat the water.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

remember the old glass ones...I remember mom making coffee for years on one of those..I actually saw one at the thrift the other day..complete with innards!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Power Poster

This is interesting:

The effect of a percolator is to keep passing boiling water/coffee over the grounds until there is no flavor left and the flavor in the coffee is so dead that it's a worthless waste. Most people will probably prefer whatever they are accustomed to so if you grew up on perc pots you may always prefer them. There is nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:53 PM

This is a lot of fun! Did any of you get electric perks in the 70's by sending in Tide (I think) box tops? We did a lot of extra washing clothes to get one.

I now use a camping tin percolator on the stove with a filter. I love the coffee. I have this stomache GERD thing . I can't drink drip coffee but can perked but only 1 cup a week.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:55 PM

I have been perking my coffee on top of the stove for 50 yrs. I've gone brain dead from useing the old aluminum pot
but am coming back now that I've got the stainless. Its the best coffee in the world.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:11 PM

I don't drink coffe but my husband does and yes use a percolator on the stove top everyday, everyone who visits asks for cooked coffee.