Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Advice for advertising/running a garage sale >

Advice for advertising/running a garage sale

Advice for advertising/running a garage sale

Old 09-01-2011, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by nana20010
add 10% more than u wont that way they can bargen with u that makes them think they got a good deal
I agree, maybe a little bit more than 10%, then you get what you wanted for item. Also BRIGHT PINK poster board for signs....can't miss em'
Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 AM

Have more than one person selling. For our sales, dh has the MAIN money and I have a fannypac with money to make chagne when people are ready to buy on the drive way.Don't want people waiting to buy. OHHH...are you sellling any fabric? Quilt books? Advertise that. You know WE love sales!!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:13 AM

Don't skimp on the permanent black marker when you put out signs. Write large enough to read from a passing vehicle. Nothing annoys me more than seeing a yard sale sign and not being able to read it because the print is too small and not dark enough. DH will pass it up rather than turning around to read the sign. Ann in TN
Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 AM

Put prices on everything. Post bright orange signs with a very large tip black markers, most people post with markers that no-one can see from the road. Have one table where you can fold the items or bag them. Have paper to wrap glass items in and double bag them. If you are the only one with the money, wear a fanny pack and have lots of ones. Try and not put items on the ground, people will walk right past them. Put like things together: bath, bed, kitchen. Have a man's table. Hang clothes if possible otherwise, fold them over and over, keep it neat.
This is what I look for when I garage sale.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ncredbird
Don't skimp on the permanent black marker when you put out signs. Write large enough to read from a passing vehicle. Nothing annoys me more than seeing a yard sale sign and not being able to read it because the print is too small and not dark enough. DH will pass it up rather than turning around to read the sign. Ann in TN
My DH can see an eagle flying BEHIND AND ABOVE the car - and totally "not see" garage sale signs!

Also make the arrow point large so that it's easy to tell which lane I should be in for turning.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 AM

Make sure you are up early.
No matter what time you advertise that
it starts, they will be there at least
an hour early or even the day before
if the signs are out.

I call them the SCAVENGERS.

They are just trying to get a jump on others so
that they can get in my sales on the next day -or-
buy your stuff to sell at the Flea Market the
next day. .

DO NOT LET THEM LOOK the day before. I made
this mistake once and they wanted you to cut
your prices the day before the sale even started
and rummaged in my boxes and broke some of my
items.

BEWARE OF THEIVES - they work in groups.

J J
Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 AM

One thing that was a problem in my area was a group of women with small children that wanted to use your bathroom. Those that let them in their house without supervision found things missing later. It was recommended to post a sign that you would not let them use your bathroom.
Also, some houses were burglarized later and they thought the women were casing the house for their friends to come back and break in.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:32 AM

List on Craigslist, most garage-yard sale goes check there, some people don't get newspapers. Signs should be Large Print to read and might say YARD SALE 1/4 mile ahead with date & time Just 100 ft before street Sign RIGHT on STREET # & NAME and an arrow. Continue with arrows throught developementfor them to follow. I always price alittle above the price I want this way they chew you down and they feel they got a great deal and you really got what you wanted.May be a sign at front of driveway stating money will be goingt to charity.Good luck , you got alot good advice. Let us know how things went. Put a rain date
Old 09-01-2011, 10:52 AM

Don't be bullied by the people who want to haggle the price down to nothing. Don't be afraid to say, "No, I want this amount for this, come back <what ever time you are closing> , I may consider it then." It's amazing how brazen some people can be at a yard sale, even if it's for charity.

I helped out at a fundraising yard sale for a quilting group. We had some really nice things, some fabrics that had been donated that didnt' work for quilting, nice clothes etc.

My friends sent me home because after about 2 hours of people saying, "this isn't worth that amount, I'll give you .50 for this entire box" I finally started telling the rude people, "if you don't like the price, go away. No one is forcing you to buy from us. We are raising money for charity."

You could do a raffle also, do you have a baby quilt finished or something small yet cute already finished? You can sale tickets for $1. Have the drawing at the end of the yard sale.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:11 AM

Craigslist is a good place to advertise.