Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Advice to a first-time cat owner >
  • Advice to a first-time cat owner

• Advice to a first-time cat owner

Old 09-10-2011, 03:13 PM

Please stick with your decision to not declaw--a little nail clipping will usually solve the scratching problem along with s scratching post or two. Also, if you never let the kitty outside she will be very happy as an indoor kitty--once they go out, they seem to be interested in the outdoors! Good Luck and hope you get a kitty nearly as wonderful as ours!
    Old 09-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Oh how wonderful! Just a few things...

1. Indoor kitties last longer.

2. Kittens are a lot of work. This is not a bad thing, but be prepared for a lot of long, sleepless nights if you bring home a baby!

3. Some cats pee on things if they are upset. Laundry, plastic bags and shoes are common targets, as are any places where another animal or a human may have had an accident. Most cats don't do this but over the years we've had a couple who chose to express their frustration this way (male and female). If you are not prepared to deal with this, you might not want to adopt a cat whose history is unknown.

4. Cats can go where your dogs never did, like onto counters and tables and into small vents. Just be aware of this and kitty-proof accordingly.

I LOVE my cats, and they love me, too. People like to describe cats as standoffish or say they don't care about humans, but it just isn't true. All of my cats have been lovebugs who wanted to spend all their time wherever I was.

I wish you all the best!
    Old 09-10-2011, 03:19 PM

Well, you have all been quite wonderful in your suggestions as I knew you would. I think I'm on the right track and have just placed my orders for all the "stuff" I'll need to accommodate my new luv(s). (Yep. You all opened me up to that as well. If they come as a pair, then so be it. I'll just get another litter box, bed, etc. I surely wouldn't want to split them up. Enough trauma already, just relocating.)

I will get a drawer or box together in the sewing room for holding all the "trouble" stuff when I'm not in there.

I should have all the fur-baby stuff together in about a week or less. And I've already gone through an online initial application with the shelter. I'll be contacting them mid-week and hopefully make one or two trips before decision day. I'm located pretty deep into the Adirondack woods that trips to town are major considerations, so I make them count.

I'll keep you posted and hope to have pic's of the new baby(ies).

Thanks again so much. You are all so special and really have in your hearts what it means to be responsible for one of these little ones. (I'm sure there must be some folks who think we are borderline wacko, but that's their misfortune. I appreciate sharing with you.)

~ Jo
    Old 09-10-2011, 03:22 PM

You're 71 correct? I would make sure before getting a cat that if (God forbid) anything happens to you, make sure that there will be someone who will take the cat and not just dump it off at a shelter if you have to give it up.

There are millions of cats in shelters because their owners either died or had to go into nursing homes and it's so sad, because they don't know what's happening to them and it takes up the shelter space of a truly needy cat.

Sorry for being so blunt.
    Old 09-10-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Don't declaw...my cat never has scratch furniture just buy it a scratching post and put catnip on it...they will be fine
    and don't use scratching posts with carpet on the post part, get sisal it is most like a tree and scratching a carpet post tells them that it's ok to scratch the carpet on the floor.

Sisan posts are the best.
    Old 09-10-2011, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
    You're 71 correct? I would make sure before getting a cat that if (God forbid) anything happens to you, make sure that there will be someone who will take the cat and not just dump it off at a shelter if you have to give it up.

There are millions of cats in shelters because their owners either died or had to go into nursing homes and it's so sad, because they don't know what's happening to them and it takes up the shelter space of a truly needy cat.

This is a smart idea for people of ANY age. My husband and I are around 40 and have provisions in our wills in case anything happens. We are also in my aunt's written instructions to take her cats if anything should happen to her (she is also 71 - I'm pretty sure she is going to outlast us :))
    Old 09-10-2011, 03:27 PM

Oh, Jamiestitcher, I hear you. That's precisely why I think I'm headed for a more "senior" cat - not only to rescue them, but to make the probability of our demise a tad more coordinated under normal circumstances. Otherwise, I will make provision so that their best interest will be provided for. Bless you for your candor and concern.
    Old 09-10-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
    Don't declaw...my cat never has scratch furniture just buy it a scratching post and put catnip on it...they will be fine
    and don't use scratching posts with carpet on the post part, get sisal it is most like a tree and scratching a carpet post tells them that it's ok to scratch the carpet on the floor.

Sisan posts are the best.
    Oh, good. That's what I ordered - a 30" one as I understand they often like to stretch.
    Old 09-10-2011, 03:41 PM

I had cats from the time I was a small child - the first thing I did after getting a place of my own was to get a kitty. :D When I turned 47, I developed asthma, and one of the things I tested allergic to, was cat dander. The dr. asked me to give away my kitties. :-( I haven't had any since.
    They really don't bother thread, but if you drop a bobbin, or spool of thread, look out! They'll have it all over the place! :lol: I always loved my kitties sleeping curled up next to me while I slept....I really miss them. :-( Enjoy yours when you get it!!
    Old 09-10-2011, 03:41 PM

My cats used to destroy venetian blinds getting up on the windowsill. They would bend them to push their way onto the sill so they could watch the world go by, and sometimes I would find tooth holes in the blinds. So having access to a windowsill is a must in my book.
    My boy cat used to hide in the kitchen cabinets (he was such a fraidy cat). Cats are like dogs, they all have unique personalities and can usually be great company. Oh, and he used to unroll the toiletpaper while I was at work. He was also one of those that urinated on whatever he felt like if he was upset.