C-PAP anyone?

Old 09-24-2011, 06:39 PM

DH says hose should be flexible - some are stiffer than others.
Check fit of mask when lying down as bones in face change & seem to spread out a bit.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:41 PM

My husband and I both sleep with a c-pap. I made a tube out of some flannel and put it on the hose. Takes care of the condensation collecting in the tube and also the "rub board" sound of the hose on the end of the bed.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:44 PM

I've had a CPAP machine for a couple of years now. It does take awhile to get used to -- don't be too hard on yourself if you sometimes throw the mask off in the night. I had to change the type of mask once, but now I'm settled into a pattern.

Taking something to help you fall asleep is a good idea. The MDs are usually stingy with sleeping pills, because they don't want you to become dependent, but you can use Tylenol PM, or similar OTCs, which just have some benadryl.

Our bedroom is so cool, all year long, that I could not stand using the humidifier feature -- I always got water in my nose, even if I had the humidity very low and had the tube well covered with fabric. So, I gave up the humidity thing altogether.

Keep trying! You will feel better for having better quality sleep.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:45 PM

I have severe sleep apnea...I have been on a "bad" cycle of not using it...but this thread has reminded me that I better get back on it...I hadn't gotten really diligent and then summer came and I got off routine...

my dr. threatened to have my licence taken away...I also have a memory chip in it and it gets reviewed by the sleep dr...
I am interested in what this gadget is for the hose...never heard of it...can someone post a picture or tell me the name of it...
Old 09-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

I don't have any kind of chip in my machine, but it doesn't really matter because I don't even nap without it.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:51 PM

I have a cpap machine also. I use a hose cover that I made and my machine is lower than the mattress and I also use a plant steak , the kind you put in the ground and it has a nice curl on it to hold the hose. I fastened it to the headboard. I used a short bongee cord thing to loop around that as the hose wan't long enough and it worked really well and no more problems with rain out. Come join us at www.cpaptalk.com, you'll learn a lot there and there are people who have lots of good information. I don't post there as much as I used to, but do look there for any new information... I made my hose cover and padacheeks for my Swift FX nasal pillow mask. I also have a nasal mask and it leaks big time. I have the basic machine so it does not deliver pressure when I need it. I want to get an auto as that will do that and I want one that record the data. Mine does not do that and the fact that I don't get the pressure when I need it is why I believe I pull the mask off. I only use the nasal mask on a back up basis. Like when I have a cold or some thing. Take care and have a great day, Hggies, Fay
Old 09-24-2011, 08:21 PM

Per my husband you WILL get used to moving with the CPAP. He has severe apnea and has used a CPAP for at least 10 years. He didn't have any trouble adjusting, but he also doesn't move around very much in his sleep. I asked him for advice just now and he said when he DOES wake up at night, he has become accustomed to how to move so he doesn't disturb the machine.

To those who are kept awake by general machine noise, you might need a new machine or mask. Newer ones with properly-fitting masks are almost silent.

Just keep at it - your quality of life, and your life itself, is worth the effort!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:29 PM

i also have a c-pap machine. i had lost over 12 pounds as now i sleep through the night. i dont wake up in the monring so tired. i had to eat to stay awake as that was what gave me the energy to even keep awake at work durning the day. try different masks or different hoses also. i did ask about all of the water in the hose. and it was told to me that i ould turn down the heat as that was making the water too hot or warm and that is what causes the condensation. i love my machine. when we go to oz next year that is the first thing i will pack. good luck and hae a good night sleep. blessings ogama
Old 09-24-2011, 09:51 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

What a timely topic this was for me, a one week user of CPAP for the first time! Thank you for starting it.

I have the ResMed S9 Escape™ w/H5i™ Humidifier and I use the Swift FX For Her XS nasal pillow mask. In the Sleep Center I tried a couple different masks and wasn't really good with either. I received the Swift FX nasal pillow when I bought my machine in network locally and find it much more comfortable.
My machine rests on a bench right at bed height at the head of my bed where I can turn it off and on with a hand over my head.

Yes, I still have a some trouble with it....feel like I'm O2 deficient the first few minutes when putting it on; I think I need to adjust the pressure upward a tad, though the Tech said I was ordered for 9 (my chip will tell the Dr. that info in 3 more weeks); I feel like I have to keep adjusting the mask though I probably really don't have to make all these adjustments; I wake up when I feel like turning over and have to move/adjust the hose a few times which makes it harder to go back to sleep; sometimes the exhale and the air bother me; I don't yet really feel like it's doing what it's suppose to as I'm still sleepy when I get up, even after 8-9 hours.

But, interestingly, the Resp. Tech who sold and fitted the machine and mask for me, did tell me that since I've had this disorder for a long time (per Dr.), it probably would take my brain some time to catch up on the idea that help is on the way. She said I might not see the peppy, alert, well-rested affects for a few weeks as my brain learned something new.
Who knows, the idea seems to work to let me off the blame-myself-it-isn't-working treadmill.

Each night is better than the one before and I look forward to a peaceful, loving relationship with my CPAP any week now. Guess I should think of a name for her!

Jan in VA
Old 09-24-2011, 09:52 PM

I'm a little deaf so I don't hear my machine at all. It is prettty quiet. Even when I was in a nursing facility after heart surgery I wore my hearing aids in bed as I was on my back all the time, I still didn't hear the machine. The only time I ever did hear it is when I forgot to put the humidifyer in it and it is noisey with out the humidifyer. You can hook it up with out it, but the humidifyer is needed to help keep your nasal passage moist so it won't dry out so much. Some times it depends on how warm the room is as to the rain out problems too. I never heat the bedroom so I have no problems there. And when I use my electric blanket I can tuck the hose under that nice warm blanket too, but I don't like doing that unless it is really cold at night to a point to where it doesn't feel like the humidifyer is warmed or not. Now wouldn't that be wierd if you woke up to frozen water in your hose???? Soooo hose it going??? Huggies, Fay