Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Price for Machine Quilting? >
  • Price for Machine Quilting?

• Price for Machine Quilting?

Old 11-21-2011, 05:20 PM

I pay .01 per square inch.
    Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 PM

Of course it would depend on where you live, but I just had two lap sizes quilted for $60 ea, it was a beautiful overall design, I provided the batting. Check out your local quilt shops, many posts their business cards there.
    Old 11-22-2011, 07:00 AM

I paid $130 for a twin, all over meander, nothing fancy. She did a nice job but I thought it was kinda pricey. I guess it just depends on where you are and what you want.
    Old 11-22-2011, 08:29 AM

Well I am glad to hear that people are paying what i consider to be reasonable. I paid too much for quilting. I am talking as high as almost 300.00 for a King size quilt. I really like to give my family a quilt that will fit on their bed and not on the back of a couch. I realized that after paying over 6000.00 for others' quilting skills. I had actually brought a LA for myself and didn't have one!. So now that I have one, although it is a challenge for me, I am going to make it work for me!!! I love the 2 ladies that have provided quilting for me but I must try & cut cost where I can. i also learned in the last 2 years to do FMQ on my sewing machine and that has helped also with my smaller quilts.
    Old 11-22-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Landers
    Well I am glad to hear that people are paying what i consider to be reasonable. I paid too much for quilting. I am talking as high as almost 300.00 for a King size quilt.
    You are lucky you do not live in NYC $300 is a bargain
    Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 AM

I've only had one quilt professionally quilted and the lady charged 1.25 cents per sq inch. She did a wonderful job.
    Old 11-22-2011, 03:23 PM

We have one close to us that starts out reasonable then add the thread, backing, batting and postage ads up. She has a list of what she will do for 100.00 and then goes up if you want more quilting or more freeform, etc.
    Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 AM

It does depend on the amount of quilting as well as the size of the quilt. Check out your area to see if there is somewhere you can rent time on a Longarm machine. We are in Ontario and we have people come and use our machine after they have taken a basic lesson on how to use it. Some quilters have quilted a full queen size in a simple medium meander in as little as three hours!
    Old 11-23-2011, 04:28 AM

As a longarm quilter, I compute as follows:
    length x width x .02 for allover
    length x width x .035 for custom

That being said, you get what you pay for. If you choose a local longarm quilter, ask to see some of her work. He/She will probably finish it quicker than you can do it yourself. He/She is probably very experienced and can enhance what you have done rather than taking it away from your piecing and you will end up with an heirloom piece that you can be proud of.
    Old 11-23-2011, 05:10 AM

I just had 2 done. One was lap and one was just a little smaller then a twin and it was $205. I don't think I'll ever have another one done unless it's a large size and I rally can't do it. The lap one is to be a Chritmas presdent for my son-in-law. The back and front were both to have 4 inch borders . I trimmed the first border and all was well. When I trimmed the second I realized she ddin't center the back and I have a 1 inch border on one end and a 7 inch border on the other. I wa sick. Luckily I have some material left so she's going to take all the stitching out, add a new border and re-quilt it. I hope it turns out okay. I feel bad because she lost money on this quilt but it will be 4 trips back and forth to her house plus all the heartache for me. I decided if anyone is going to ruin my quilt next time it will be me.